Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 11:52 PM

4,911 posts, read 3,428,238 times

Advertisements

to call southerners racist?

They voted against the 1964 Civil Rights act. Let me say that again just to be clear, they voted AGAINST the 1964 Civil Rights act. They didn't vote for it but at a lesser percentage, they voted AGAINST it. By about 90%. So how come that doesn't make them racist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2015, 12:06 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Because 1964 was over 50 years ago and the south is not as racist today as it was in the past.

I am black and lived in the south for many years. I do think there are a lot of vestiges of the racist past in the south but that region of our country is also experiencing a huge influx of residents from various parts of the country. So many times when you are speaking of "the south" you are speaking of a large non-southern population of people.

Also, I honestly do feel that many younger southern persons are not consciously racist. The are well aware of the hateful past of their states and they do not condone the racially terroristic past of that area.

All that said, I personally feel our entire country holds subconscious racist views being that a large amount of Americans see black people as inferior to white. Both black and white and in between IMO hold these views. So in many ways our entire country is racist. And IMO, the fact that we needed a Voting Rights Act is proof that our entire country is racist. The fact that we had to enact Fair Housing Laws to prohibit redlining and other discriminatory practices against black people in the 1970s and 1980s is proof that our entire country is racist.

Why did it take so long? And what do you feel OP about being lumped into that racist category as well as housing discrimination decimated the economic conditions of many black Americans in this country for generations and prevented our ancestors from acquiring wealth, which directly attributed to current poverty levels of black Americans. It happened all over the country, north, south, east, and west.

Old 08-16-2015, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Because 1964 was over 50 years ago and the south is not as racist today as it was in the past.

I am black and lived in the south for many years. I do think there are a lot of vestiges of the racist past in the south but that region of our country is also experiencing a huge influx of residents from various parts of the country. So many times when you are speaking of "the south" you are speaking of a large non-southern population of people.

Also, I honestly do feel that many younger southern persons are not consciously racist. The are well aware of the hateful past of their states and they do not condone the racially terroristic past of that area.

All that said, I personally feel our entire country holds subconscious racist views being that a large amount of Americans see black people as inferior to white. Both black and white and in between IMO hold these views. So in many ways our entire country is racist. And IMO, the fact that we needed a Voting Rights Act is proof that our entire country is racist. The fact that we had to enact Fair Housing Laws to prohibit redlining and other discriminatory practices against black people in the 1970s and 1980s is proof that our entire country is racist.

Why did it take so long? And what do you feel OP about being lumped into that racist category as well as housing discrimination decimated the economic conditions of many black Americans in this country for generations and prevented our ancestors from acquiring wealth, which directly attributed to current poverty levels of black Americans. It happened all over the country, north, south, east, and west.

1964 was also over 50 years ago when conservatives bring it up as "proof" that Democrats are racist. Democrats are also not as racist today as they were in the past. And by "past" I don't mean just 50 years ago. As far back as 1948 the Democrats were so non racist that Strom Thurmond had to create a third party to launch a racist candidacy for the White House

Old 08-16-2015, 12:20 AM

I'm not saying that because the south voted against the 1964 Civil Rights act that that means the southerners of today are racist. But if you think that sounds crazy conservatives routinely make the same claim about Democrats and their version is even crazier because the Democrats voted in favor of the 1964 CRA. Yet even today you have conservatives citing 1964 as proof that Democrats are racist

Old 08-16-2015, 12:21 AM

6,260 posts, read 5,066,250 times
Quote:
It happened all over the country, north, south, east, and west.
Well now....................you'll lose the OP right there. You don't want to muddy the waters by talking about other parts of the country. This thread is supposed to be focus on trashing southern, red neck white people.

Old 08-16-2015, 12:22 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,444,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
I'm not saying that because the south voted against the 1964 Civil Rights act that that means the southerners of today are racist. But if you think that sounds crazy conservatives routinely make the same claim about Democrats and their version is even crazier because the Democrats voted in favor of the 1964 CRA. Yet even today you have conservatives citing 1964 as proof that Democrats are racist
Funny thing is... those Democrats who voted against the 1964 act tended to be.... Southerners. And, by and large, social conservatives relative to the norms of the time. It's not surprising that the kinds of people who would tend to periodically flirt with racism today (social conservatives) would have also done so in the past.

Old 08-16-2015, 12:26 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
1964 was also over 50 years ago when conservatives bring it up as "proof" that Democrats are racist. Democrats are also not as racist today as they were in the past. And by "past" I don't mean just 50 years ago. As far back as 1948 the Democrats were so non racist that Strom Thurmond had to create a third party to launch a racist candidacy for the White House
You spoke of "southerners" in your OP not Democrats.

So who are you trying to rant about here. Southerners or Democrats.

I am confused.

But the point being above, that during that era the majority of the entire country were racist and the majority of the country still is subconsciously racist so having the focus only on southerners and only concerning the CRA is misleading IMO. There is all sorts of racism in the recent history of our country.

Old 08-16-2015, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Well now....................you'll lose the OP right there. You don't want to muddy the waters by talking about other parts of the country. This thread is supposed to be focus on trashing southern, red neck white people.

No, this thread is not about trashing southern, red neck, white people. It's about exposing the hypocrisy of the right wing

Old 08-16-2015, 01:13 AM

Quote:
You spoke of "southerners" in your OP not Democrats.

So who are you trying to rant about here. Southerners or Democrats.

I am confused.

But the point being above, that during that era the majority of the entire country were racist and the majority of the country still is subconsciously racist so having the focus only on southerners and only concerning the CRA is misleading IMO. There is all sorts of racism in the recent history of our country.
If you didn't get the connection from the OP then yes you are confused

Old 08-16-2015, 01:15 AM

434 posts, read 248,018 times
Words cannot express the stupid.

All southerners are racist? Like all of them? Even the ones which aren't racist you've declared are?

Such a derogatory statement about a group of people from a particular area is abit well racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies