Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 09:23 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times

Advertisements

This tax rebate seems like a silly attempt to boost the economy to being with. A few hundred dollars for a few people is not going to do anything. Now it gets really ridiculous. People who paid no taxes will be getting a rebate. Those with children will get a couple of thousand. However the people who pay most of the taxes (people who make over $75,000) get nothing. Who is going to pay for this great giveaway? The people who pay the most taxes.

The concept that this will boost the economy seems ridiculous. If you receive a $1000 - $2000 rebate, what are you going to do with it? I would pay a utility bill that is past due. I doubt that anyone is going to run out and buy a car or other product that will boost our economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 09:40 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
As discussed in other threads here, though initially framed as a tax rebate it actually is an economic stimulous package. As such, the tax payment aspect is rather minimal, though you do have to earn at least $3,000 per year to qualify.

I suspect folks getting social security and investment or/and interest income as their earnings might qualify for this too, I haven't seen anything yet that appears to eliminate their eligibility.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:06 AM

309 posts, read 365,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
This tax rebate seems like a silly attempt to boost the economy to being with. A few hundred dollars for a few people is not going to do anything. Now it gets really ridiculous. People who paid no taxes will be getting a rebate. Those with children will get a couple of thousand. However the people who pay most of the taxes (people who make over $75,000) get nothing. Who is going to pay for this great giveaway? The people who pay the most taxes.

The concept that this will boost the economy seems ridiculous. If you receive a $1000 - $2000 rebate, what are you going to do with it? I would pay a utility bill that is past due. I doubt that anyone is going to run out and buy a car or other product that will boost our economy.
I agree with 'ya.
Yeah, I will gladly take the money too, but as far as it really doing much for the economy.......it WON'T!

Bush stated that the total "stimulus" package is $150 BILLION..........but $50 BILLION of it is allocated for businesses and their investments........the rest goes to about 78 million people........and it still NEEDS the House and Senate approval which they predict, no rebates actually......in the mail, until mid-May at the earliest.

Hate to say it.......but it's NOT going to be enough to truly "stimulate" the economy and neither is the Fed's lowering of the interest rates by 0.75 points.

The housing market crash (forclosures), budget cuts, inflation, personal debt (bankruptcy filings), gas/energy prices, outsourcing of jobs, cost to fund the war, prisons, delayed hurricane Katrina relief (after almost 3 years), foreign aid, Homeland Security/Border security, trade deficits (mainly with China), etc. etc. etc. are ALL bankrupting the American economy and "standard of living" to the point that it IS too little and too late and a LOT MORE ideas NEED to be presented and FAST.......to truly save this sinking ship at this point!

Unemployment and homelessness are about to skyrocket and a BIG recession still looms........no matter what, IMO.
But, hey...........they ARE liars if they didn't see all of this coming a mile away!

Old 01-25-2008, 09:31 AM

28 posts, read 29,015 times
Thumbs down President Bush's "Economic Stimulus" Program

As I'm sure you've all heard, President Bush has this plan in the works that will deliver an abundance of money to American homes this summer....$600 to single individuals, $1200 to married couples, and an additional $300 per child. This is supposes to be an attempt to "boost" the economy. What do you think about it, and what will you do with this pot of gold .

I personally think it's a joke. Yeah, $600 will really put an end to everyone's financial whoa’s. If and when we get this money, I'll be spending it on a much needed vacation far far away....

Old 01-25-2008, 09:35 AM

387 posts, read 1,429,789 times
What would you like for him to do? Give you millions of dollars?

Old 01-25-2008, 09:41 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,626,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam27 View Post
As I'm sure you've all heard, President Bush has this plan in the works that will deliver an abundance of money to American homes this summer....$600 to single individuals, $1200 to married couples, and an additional $300 per child. This is supposes to be an attempt to "boost" the economy. What do you think about it, and what will you do with this pot of gold .

I personally think it's a joke. Yeah, $600 will really put an end to everyone's financial whoa’s. If and when we get this money, I'll be spending it on a much needed vacation far far away....
Tam, you should be happy if you get anything, I'm not eligible for a nickle because I guess I'm an idiot who works 2 jobs and the wife works, once again we get nothing for hard work, just like the property tax rebate that we received, I would have got more if my wife was a SAHM and didn't work. Government sucks on all levels, Dem and Rep.. I thought I was middle class but to the powers to be think I'm rich.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackedInPrinceton View Post
What would you like for him to do? Give you millions of dollars?

No, not at all. I would like him to do more useful/substantial/long-term things to boost the economy like, lower gas prices, taxes, the cost of health insurance etc etc.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:49 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,862,267 times
Jersey man, maybe you should read up on Ron Paul and if you like what he has to say, vote for him on February 5th.

Ron Paul 2008 › Issues

Ron Paul 2008 › Comprehensive Economic Revitalization Plan

As for Bush's plan...where is this money coming from?

Maybe we will just dump it into our personal debt and pretend like we never received it. I have no clue...

Old 01-25-2008, 09:53 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,670,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
Jersey man, maybe you should read up on Ron Paul and if you like what he has to say, vote for him on February 5th.

Ron Paul 2008 › Issues

Ron Paul 2008 › Comprehensive Economic Revitalization Plan

Maybe we will just dump it into our personal debt and pretend like we never received it. I have no clue...
China.........

Old 01-25-2008, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post

This is what scares me ...quite shady isn't it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies