U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-24-2008, 09:23 PM
 
Location: Grosse Ile Michigan
26,614 posts, read 63,110,092 times
Reputation: 30813

Advertisements

This tax rebate seems like a silly attempt to boost the economy to being with. A few hundred dollars for a few people is not going to do anything. Now it gets really ridiculous. People who paid no taxes will be getting a rebate. Those with children will get a couple of thousand. However the people who pay most of the taxes (people who make over $75,000) get nothing. Who is going to pay for this great giveaway? The people who pay the most taxes.

The concept that this will boost the economy seems ridiculous. If you receive a $1000 - $2000 rebate, what are you going to do with it? I would pay a utility bill that is past due. I doubt that anyone is going to run out and buy a car or other product that will boost our economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-24-2008, 09:40 PM
 
Location: Sacramento
13,784 posts, read 23,832,033 times
Reputation: 6195
As discussed in other threads here, though initially framed as a tax rebate it actually is an economic stimulous package. As such, the tax payment aspect is rather minimal, though you do have to earn at least $3,000 per year to qualify.

I suspect folks getting social security and investment or/and interest income as their earnings might qualify for this too, I haven't seen anything yet that appears to eliminate their eligibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2008, 12:06 AM
 
310 posts, read 275,853 times
Reputation: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
This tax rebate seems like a silly attempt to boost the economy to being with. A few hundred dollars for a few people is not going to do anything. Now it gets really ridiculous. People who paid no taxes will be getting a rebate. Those with children will get a couple of thousand. However the people who pay most of the taxes (people who make over $75,000) get nothing. Who is going to pay for this great giveaway? The people who pay the most taxes.

The concept that this will boost the economy seems ridiculous. If you receive a $1000 - $2000 rebate, what are you going to do with it? I would pay a utility bill that is past due. I doubt that anyone is going to run out and buy a car or other product that will boost our economy.
I agree with 'ya.
Yeah, I will gladly take the money too, but as far as it really doing much for the economy.......it WON'T!

Bush stated that the total "stimulus" package is $150 BILLION..........but $50 BILLION of it is allocated for businesses and their investments........the rest goes to about 78 million people........and it still NEEDS the House and Senate approval which they predict, no rebates actually......in the mail, until mid-May at the earliest.

Hate to say it.......but it's NOT going to be enough to truly "stimulate" the economy and neither is the Fed's lowering of the interest rates by 0.75 points.

The housing market crash (forclosures), budget cuts, inflation, personal debt (bankruptcy filings), gas/energy prices, outsourcing of jobs, cost to fund the war, prisons, delayed hurricane Katrina relief (after almost 3 years), foreign aid, Homeland Security/Border security, trade deficits (mainly with China), etc. etc. etc. are ALL bankrupting the American economy and "standard of living" to the point that it IS too little and too late and a LOT MORE ideas NEED to be presented and FAST.......to truly save this sinking ship at this point!

Unemployment and homelessness are about to skyrocket and a BIG recession still looms........no matter what, IMO.
But, hey...........they ARE liars if they didn't see all of this coming a mile away!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2008, 09:31 AM
 
28 posts, read 22,088 times
Reputation: 15
Thumbs down President Bush's "Economic Stimulus" Program

As I'm sure you've all heard, President Bush has this plan in the works that will deliver an abundance of money to American homes this summer....$600 to single individuals, $1200 to married couples, and an additional $300 per child. This is supposes to be an attempt to "boost" the economy. What do you think about it, and what will you do with this pot of gold .

I personally think it's a joke. Yeah, $600 will really put an end to everyone's financial whoa’s. If and when we get this money, I'll be spending it on a much needed vacation far far away....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2008, 09:35 AM
 
Location: Trenton, NJ
387 posts, read 1,311,501 times
Reputation: 115
What would you like for him to do? Give you millions of dollars?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2008, 09:41 AM
 
Location: New Jersey/Florida
5,443 posts, read 10,538,250 times
Reputation: 3628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam27 View Post
As I'm sure you've all heard, President Bush has this plan in the works that will deliver an abundance of money to American homes this summer....$600 to single individuals, $1200 to married couples, and an additional $300 per child. This is supposes to be an attempt to "boost" the economy. What do you think about it, and what will you do with this pot of gold .

I personally think it's a joke. Yeah, $600 will really put an end to everyone's financial whoa’s. If and when we get this money, I'll be spending it on a much needed vacation far far away....
Tam, you should be happy if you get anything, I'm not eligible for a nickle because I guess I'm an idiot who works 2 jobs and the wife works, once again we get nothing for hard work, just like the property tax rebate that we received, I would have got more if my wife was a SAHM and didn't work. Government sucks on all levels, Dem and Rep.. I thought I was middle class but to the powers to be think I'm rich.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2008, 09:46 AM
 
28 posts, read 22,088 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackedInPrinceton View Post
What would you like for him to do? Give you millions of dollars?

No, not at all. I would like him to do more useful/substantial/long-term things to boost the economy like, lower gas prices, taxes, the cost of health insurance etc etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2008, 09:49 AM
 
Location: Vermont
5,439 posts, read 14,799,410 times
Reputation: 2631
Jersey man, maybe you should read up on Ron Paul and if you like what he has to say, vote for him on February 5th.

Ron Paul 2008 › Issues

Ron Paul 2008 › Comprehensive Economic Revitalization Plan

As for Bush's plan...where is this money coming from?

Maybe we will just dump it into our personal debt and pretend like we never received it. I have no clue...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2008, 09:53 AM
 
Location: Colorado
10,017 posts, read 17,033,019 times
Reputation: 2109
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
Jersey man, maybe you should read up on Ron Paul and if you like what he has to say, vote for him on February 5th.

Ron Paul 2008 › Issues

Ron Paul 2008 › Comprehensive Economic Revitalization Plan

As for Bush's plan...where is this money coming from?

Maybe we will just dump it into our personal debt and pretend like we never received it. I have no clue...
China.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2008, 09:57 AM
 
28 posts, read 22,088 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post

As for Bush's plan...where is this money coming from?

This is what scares me ...quite shady isn't it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top