Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 01:37 PM

20,459 posts, read 12,381,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The SCOTUS conclusion happened 42 years ago.

States are free to set parameters. 8 states have no parameters and they are not all liberal states.

I am unaware of a proposed amendment to ban abortion that has gotten any traction.

Presidents have no impact on amending the Constitution.

/\ this...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2015, 01:38 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i am pro life, but i do allow for rape, incest, or to save the life of the mother.
That's my position too.

Actually, being a woman, if I were raped and got pregnant, I would actually choose to carry the child to term and then consider giving it up for adoption - but I wouldn't put that burden on someone else, that would be my own personal decision based on my own moral code. After all, just because I don't WANT a baby by a particular person doesn't mean someone else wouldn't. The baby isn't at fault or "faulty" just because of the conditions of conception.

Old 08-07-2015, 01:40 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
*waves hand* Hi. I'm in that 1%.

Would I have died? Maybe not. But I would have needed be on bedrest from 3 months on (impossible as a young person already barely making it with roommates financially due to cancer - I would have no way to stay afloat and pay for the extensive medical support I would need to keep myself and the fetus alive without being able to go to work), would risk my cancer relapsing, and also risk augmenting my existing life-long complications that already exist as a result of cancer.

Finances aside, my oncologist strongly recommended I have an abortion which is exactly what I did at 5 weeks. It was incredibly painful as I have spent the past few years mourning what I thought was infertility due to cancer. Despite the expectation of infertility, I still took the pill just in case. It failed.

I laugh in the face of anyone who calls themself pro-life who also claims that my situation does not exist. I am not the only young adult cancer survivor I know to have faced similar dire decisions.
I'm sorry for your emotionally difficult decision. I want to say that personally I've never heard anyone anywhere anytime actually deny that conditions of pregnancy can seriously endanger the life of the mother. Of course some pregnancies can seriously endanger a woman's life. In that case, it becomes a matter of self defense.

Old 08-07-2015, 01:41 PM

20,459 posts, read 12,381,706 times
I am pro-life.

I believe the litmus test should be protection of the innocent.

in the case where someone has been raped or in the case of incest, that person is a victim and therefore an innocent whose protection ranks above any other concern.

in the case where a woman will die as a result of the pregnancy, her life should be given first priority.

in all cases where abortion is concerned, innocence is the thing that must be the first priority. There are cases as above where the person who is pregnant is the innocent person in danger. In all other cases where pregnancy occurs the baby is the innocent one and deserves societies protection.

Old 08-07-2015, 01:49 PM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I'm sorry for your emotionally difficult decision. I want to say that personally I've never heard anyone anywhere anytime actually deny that conditions of pregnancy can seriously endanger the life of the mother. Of course some pregnancies can seriously endanger a woman's life. In that case, it becomes a matter of self defense.
I mostly "meet" these people online, but I know several people who hold those beliefs (typically the type who also believe that women's bodies have a way of "shutting down" pregnancy as a result of a rape - yes, those people exist). Furthermore, that is exactly what Walker said in the debate last night: “Well I’m pro-life. I’ve always been pro-life. I’ve got a position that’s consistent with many Americans out there in that I believe that that is an unborn child that’s in need of protection out there. And I’ve said many times that that unborn child can be protected and there are many alternatives that would protect the life of the mother.â€

I, for one, would *love* to know what those many alternatives are and how affordable they would be to the average woman, either in terms of paying for medical care or the opportunity cost of something like bed rest that keeps a woman out of work for months.

Old 08-07-2015, 02:10 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TateFan333 View Post
Then you know what? There is such a thing known as adoption. An innocent baby should NEVER be tortured and killed. We are lucky our mother's didn't make that choice, in my opinon.
Even if the "mother" was a child herself who was raped, especially by a relative?! Sheesh!

Old 08-07-2015, 02:14 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Scot Walker does not support abortion in cases of incest, rape, or the life of the mother.

https://www.yahoo.com/health/after-t...098546897.html

I work in medicine and I can tell you that there are definite cases in which the mother will die unless the pregnancy is terminated.

Also in the case of incest; it has been my experience that most incest pregnancies are in young girls who have just entered puberty, around the age of 12, and have been repeatedly molested by their father from young childhood. These are cases of children forced to have children and the offspring often has extreme chromosomal abnormalities.

Being required to carry a pregnancy when one's life is at risk or one has been raped or molested, is again victimizing the victim.

I watched the debate, and I was less impressed with Walker than any of the other candidates -- even Trump, and that say a LOT. (Just FYI, I was most impressed with Kasich.)

Last edited by katharsis; 08-07-2015 at 02:23 PM..

Old 08-07-2015, 02:19 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,312,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TateFan333 View Post
Then you know what? There is such a thing known as adoption. An innocent baby should NEVER be tortured and killed. We are lucky our mother's didn't make that choice, in my opinon.
Was your mother 12?

Old 08-07-2015, 02:20 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
I read the thread and then the name "jojajn", and knew it would be about Scott Walker.... and knew there would be some copy/paste action. Yep.
You kill the messenger of what Scott Walker said?

Old 08-07-2015, 02:20 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
If a pregnancy is threatening a mother's life she has every reason and right to terminate the pregnancy. This is a choice of who lives when only one can live. She also has the right, if she so chooses, to forfeit her own life for that of her child. This is entirely up to her as she is the only one who can choose who lives and who dies. It is not a choice I envy having to make. No one wins here.

I would also like to point out that abortions in the case of the mother's life being in danger have always been available. When my mother got pregnant with #6 BEFORE Roe vs. Wade and after having her uterus rupture during the delivery of #5 the doctor suggested she check into the hospital for a D&C because he felt she would not survive the pregnancy. As it turned out the placenta did not adhere to scar tissue and her uterus did not rip again with this delivery. This was however her choice as there was no way to predict how this would have turned out. My mother chose to risk her own life and that was her choice to make.

Being in a situation where you must choose to risk one life for the sake of another is a very different situation than a healthy mother aborting a healthy fetus. Sometimes choices have to be made. I have a friend who is an EMT and he has had to decide who to try to save knowing that the person waiting for help would probably die without help. He chooses the one he believes has the best chances but the decision still pains him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies