Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 08:13 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Liberals are obsessed with women's health. I was curious if they cared about the health of males at all, or if they maybe supported government funding toward assisting underprivileged males with their health-care needs.

It wouldn't shock me if liberals don't care about health care for poor males since they aren't a reliable voting bloc, but I figured I'd ask.
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I would like to think that anyone's health isn't political, but obviously not.
Quote:
Unfortunately health care is political. So on to my question...do liberals support men's health care or not?
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Doesn't healthcare cover both genders
Quote:
liberals make me wonder, thus my reason for the question
You are right to be worried and ask the question.

Capital is fixed and finite. There's only a limited amount available no matter what anyone does, and the reality is that Capital available for medical care is fixed and finite.

That's also true for medical research...which is heavily politicized

There's a limited amount of cash available for medical research, medical research facilities/space, diagnostic/testing equipment, research personnel, and so on.

You cannot allow special interest groups to dictate how that Capital is utilized.

Federal funding for breast cancer research was $657 Million in 2013.

HIV/AIDS got $2.9 Billion in 2013.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought 54% of population was female.

$39 Million spent on uterine cancer, but STDs/Herpes got $242 Million.

Obesity got $812 Million, while prostate cancer was only worthy of $286 Million.

Source: National Institute of Health Budget

NIH Categorical Spending -NIH Research Portfolio Online Reporting Tools (RePORT)

When you have scarce resources, like medical research dollars, the Free Market is the best way to distribute those scarce medical research dollars. And if the Free Market says that $2.9 Billion should be spent on breast cancer research and not on HIV/AIDS, then that is just the way it is.

Can you even begin to imagine how Special Interest Groups will control a Universal Healthcare System?

Special Interest Groups will run rampant lobbying for your scarce medical care dollars to be spent on this "Special Snow-Flake Group" and these special "Indigo Children" and so on and on and on.

What a great way to divide and conquer: crow-bar people into groups based on medical conditions and then pit one against the other vying for scarce medical care dollars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2015, 08:15 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
Liberals are obsessed with women's health. I was curious if they cared about the health of males at all, or if they maybe supported government funding toward assisting underprivileged males with their health-care needs.

It wouldn't shock me if liberals don't care about health care for poor males since they aren't a reliable voting bloc, but I figured I'd ask.
You don't have a clue why someone would be "obsessed" with women's health. If you did, you wouldn't have brought it up, and asking for "concern to men's health".

Let me help you, let us go into the specifics, shall we? What male health issues would you like to discuss, that is being obliterated on religious and social grounds?

Old 08-08-2015, 08:17 AM

1,603 posts, read 1,113,364 times
It's effectively impossible for males to get Medicaid unless homeless or "disabled".

Old 08-08-2015, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veneficus View Post
It's effectively impossible for males to get Medicaid unless homeless or "disabled".
Elaborate, if you have any clue.

Old 08-08-2015, 08:23 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,368,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
That's why WE passed Obamacare -- because everyone is entitled (yes, ENTITLED) to decent health care in the most blessed nation in the world.
WE didn't pass Obamacare. Most people opposed it and still oppose it, even the democrats and their union supporters had to be bribed to vote or support it. It's as far from a bipartisan "we" piece of legislation as has ever been rammed through the process and forced on the people as has ever been written and it's made healthcare vastly more expensive for more people than it is ever going to help.

The US is the most blessed nation in the world? You might want to tell the rest of the liberals that since all they do is complain about how horrible everything is in the US and how perfect it is in Euroland.

Old 08-08-2015, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
WE didn't pass Obamacare. Most people opposed it and still oppose it, even the democrats and their union supporters had to be bribed to vote or support it.
Wrong. Millions who have signed up for it (there is a number), certainly reduce this opposition (there is no basis for "most people" that you claim).

Stop lying. Your claims are pure idiocy. There are reasons, however, why someone may want a better version of Obamacare... the original one itself may help some (public option, that you right wingers opposed), or better yet, single payer.

That being said, what has Obamacare got to do with the topic at hand? Does it put restrictions on men, more than it does on women?

Old 08-08-2015, 08:34 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,259,424 times
Before the ACA women paid much more than men for health care or were rejected entirely. Nobody complained except women, of course, so more attention was focused on women. When men can get pregnant and women are deciding and advocating what procedures they may or may not have, men's health will become an issue.

You are also free to become an activist advocate for men's health and bring attention to it, rather than complain about the lack of it.

"Before President Obama’s Affordable Care Act, women were paying a total of $1 billion more than men for heath insurance premiums."

Women's products more expensive than men's - Business Insider

Last edited by Enigma777; 08-08-2015 at 09:24 AM..

Old 08-08-2015, 08:39 AM

30,369 posts, read 19,156,062 times
I do find it interesting that there is so much focus and awareness on women's health, breast cancer awareness, and really any issue affecting women with silence regarding men's health issues even though women outlive men by over 5 years per person. It's a form of extreme prejudice in my mind.

That women need greater care during reproduction because they are creating babies and the next generation, I fully support as necessary but beyond that, the continuous focus on women when men actually have greater health issues is where I find the prejudice in our society.

Old 08-08-2015, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I do find it interesting that there is so much focus and awareness on women's health, breast cancer awareness, and really any issue affecting women with silence regarding men's health issues even though women outlive men by over 5 years per person. It's a form of extreme prejudice in my mind.

That women need greater care during reproduction because they are creating babies and the next generation, I fully support as necessary but beyond that, the continuous focus on women when men actually have greater health issues is where I find the prejudice in our society.
You can go with specifics on women's health and make excuses against it. Why not be constructive, and highlight with specifics on these men's health issues you speak of?

Stop whining, start contributing and explain how men are being mistreated compared to women on these issues. Can't wait to hear at least a couple of such cases.

Old 08-08-2015, 09:00 AM

5,993 posts, read 3,733,362 times
Quote:

I care about it a great deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies