Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 07:40 AM

57,263 posts, read 26,192,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Government mules and morons. This is what happens when you hire idiots and take the rights away from states. That is as big a disaster as an oil spill in my opinion.

This was an extremely bad accident but there are over 55,000 deserted mines from CO to Idaho, by all means let's have those states take over the regulation of these toxic mines since they were responsible for allowing them in the first place.

This mine goes back to 1923, something like 40% of the headwaters of western rivers are polluted and you think that federal regulation should be less.

State Rights, yes that has worked out real well.

http://midco.net/news/read/category/...e_under_the-ap

Last edited by Goodnight; 08-10-2015 at 09:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 07:42 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
How do you "accidentally" release 1 million gallons?
It was in holding pond and apparently with the work they were doing they compromised it. Once something like that starts it's impossible to stop.

Last edited by thecoalman; 08-10-2015 at 07:54 AM..

Old 08-10-2015, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
This was an extremely bad accident but there are over 55,000 deserted mines from CO to Idaho, by all means let's let those states take over the regulation of these toxic mines since they were responsible for allowing them in the first place.

The mines across this entire nation are the foundation of our prosperity. Government at all levels would have been encouraging this if anything. It's important to heed the lessons of bad practices of the past but you need to keep it in context.

Old 08-10-2015, 08:02 AM

10,029 posts, read 9,504,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
The EPA is protecting us from polluting corporations but who is protecting us from the EPA?
When a corporation has an accident they're ripped by the EPA, some rightfully so, but the EPA does it and all the head of the organization can say is that mistakes happen.

Old 08-10-2015, 08:19 AM

17,441 posts, read 9,265,380 times
Quote:

A million gallons would be equivalent to 100 large fuel tank trucks that hold 10,000 gallons.

Actually they are now saying the spill was at least 3 times greater than first reported ... so more like 3 million gallons.
A Million gallons is equivalent to 2 Olympic swimming pools - the initial report was 1 Million Gallons, that has been revised to 3 Million Gallons as of yesterday ....... but the EPA is STILL hiding the true amount of water and STILL won't say what the analysis of the Contamination is.

The EPA now says there were 3 Million gallons of toxic mine waste initially released from the Gold King Mine. Following the initial release of 3 Million gallons there continued to be 740 gallons per minute until Friday, at which point it was reported to be down to 550 gallons per minute. That means that 740 gallons/minute flowed into the river for roughly 2.5 days, then 550 gallons/minute for two days. So as of 08/09/2015 there have been roughly 7,248,000 gallons of toxic water (lead, arsenic, cadmium, and others) put into the water that thousands of people rely on economically, agriculturally, as well as for the basic need for potable water.

On the upside for the EPA -- they have been pushing hard to declare the Silverton area a Super-Fund environmental site and now they say they will probably do that due to the "accident" that they are "so sorry" for.

Funny how that worked out for them. Oddly enough - the EPA get's exactly what they wanted, except it won't just be Silverton (population of a couple of hundred, high in the mountains) - it's also going to be a lot of area downstream. The ramifications are extensive and will last for decades.

I've traveled that area since the early 70's, my spouse since the 50's. I've rafted and fished the Animas and so have my children. My grandchildren won't be able to do either of those things. It's heartbreaking to see what our own Government did when they said - "We are here to Help".

Old 08-10-2015, 08:29 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
It's terrible and will impact the river for a long time.

The Durango Herald 08/07/2015 | EPA takes blame for Animas River contamination

The Animas empties into Lake Powell. The negative effects of this terrible accident will be felt far and wide.
This is a nightmare purposely being downplayed by the government.

I'd love to see the data on cancer rates for anyone living along the Animas in 5, 10, 20 years from now.

Old 08-10-2015, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
I've rafted and fished the Animas and so have my children. My grandchildren won't be able to do either of those things.
A bit dramatic are we? Where do you think all that mine run off was going before they had a holding pond? Anything can be toxic with enough concentrations such as oxygen. You can find these toxins in the dirt in your back yard. There presence is meaningless without knowing the concentrations.

On side not I can't believe I'm defending the EPA. :P Fact is accidents happens, just keep that in mind the next time it's some company.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:06 AM

13,302 posts, read 7,867,855 times
Quote:

A million gallons would be equivalent to 100 large fuel tank trucks that hold 10,000 gallons.

Actually they are now saying the spill was at least 3 times greater than first reported ... so more like 3 million gallons.
The Government has taken up the "oops" defense.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:22 AM

5,113 posts, read 5,971,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
The Government has taken up the "oops" defense.
The end justifies the means

Old 08-10-2015, 09:33 AM

17,441 posts, read 9,265,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
A bit dramatic are we? Where do you think all that mine run off was going before they had a holding pond? Anything can be toxic with enough concentrations such as oxygen. You can find these toxins in the dirt in your back yard. There presence is meaningless without knowing the concentrations.
My grandchildren are now old enough to raft the Animas - not a bit "dramatic" to say they won't be doing that - it's closed now and will be closed in the future as the heavy metal silt is stirred up by spring thaws and anytime there is heavy rain.

The EPA was not even working on the Gold King Mine, which has not operated in nearly 100 years. They were working on the Red and Bonita Mine, right below the Gold King Mine. All those mines are inter connected - the EPA work caused a backup of contaminated water in the Gold King and they had no idea it was as extensive as it was. When they brought in heavy equipment to "fix" it ...... it all got away from them. The EPA even admits this and they are "very sorry" - they said they had no idea that their actions could impact downstream. Turns out those Bureaucrats missed out on Mountain Water 101 - it travels downstream.

Why Was The Environmental Protection Agency Messing With A Mine Above Silverton?

There are an estimated 22,000 abandoned mines in Colorado -- they have been closed off for safety reasons for many decades to keep tourists out of them. Mining 101 is that anytime you dig into a mountain,ll you will hit water. Water 101 is that it will eventually find a lower level. Prior to the EPA blowing the entire thing open - there was always seepage, which was contaminated. Now there are Millions of gallons flowing.

Seepage is better than Millions of gallons in a sudden release. That release will eventually wind up in Lake Powell, Nevada and along the way will effect Drinking water from Wells & City water, Fishing, Agriculture and any recreation in Rivers, Lakes, Streams ........ for Decades. When the nasty Orange color is gone, the heavy metals will settle to the River beds and it will remain there.

There is one thing we know absolutely for sure ...... NOBODY will get fired over this and the EPA and the Leftists will "blame" Miners from 100 years ago and the Republicans in some trumped up Fairy Tale of pointing fingers. It's what they do.

Quote:
On side not I can't believe I'm defending the EPA. :P Fact is accidents happens, just keep that in mind the next time it's some company.
YEP - "accidents happen". Thing is that when a "company" has an "accident" - they EPA & Federal Government on on them like Stink on a Skunk and bring Lawsuits, Million/Billion Dollar Fines and even Jail Time. Does anyone think that is going to be the case with the EPA and their "oops, we are sorry"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies