Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 09:56 AM

15,499 posts, read 10,440,480 times

Advertisements

It's merged into the San Juan River now. Questions remain as toxic mine contamination flows through San Juan County - Farmington Daily Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2015, 09:57 AM

4,504 posts, read 5,026,115 times
What's the surprise, the EPA has been spreading s--t since it's inception ?

Old 08-09-2015, 10:25 AM

2,886 posts, read 5,806,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Was it a preventable accident, or just an accident?

There are no accidents.
That's very true. They are incidents not accidents.

Old 08-09-2015, 10:36 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,608,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Guess they need to heavily fine themselves.

EPA confirms Colorado mine spill contains heavy metals - KOAA.com | Continuous News | Colorado Springs and Pueblo

Federal environmental officials have confirmed the mustard-colored muck that surged into a river from a Colorado mine contained heavy metals including lead and arsenic, but they didn't immediately discuss amounts or health risks.

Seems to me this is what the river would look like all the time if there was no EPA.

The wealth class of China are leaving China. The U.S. And Canada are the most favored destinations. Enviornment and the ability to have more children are the primary reasons.

Old 08-09-2015, 11:03 AM

13,289 posts, read 7,841,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by straight shooter View Post
Even in the cosm - micro or macro.

Incidental there with which.

Old 08-09-2015, 11:11 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,716,205 times
Quote:
Guess they need to heavily fine themselves.

EPA confirms Colorado mine spill contains heavy metals - KOAA.com | Continuous News | Colorado Springs and Pueblo

Federal environmental officials have confirmed the mustard-colored muck that surged into a river from a Colorado mine contained heavy metals including lead and arsenic, but they didn't immediately discuss amounts or health risks.

Government mules and morons. This is what happens when you hire idiots and take the rights away from states. That is as big a disaster as an oil spill in my opinion.

Old 08-09-2015, 11:18 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,536,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If experience tells me anything short term there will be some damage especially for the fish, long term it should be fine.

Appears this mine was originally started late 1800's, mines like this dot the entire US landscape. They were built long before any environmental regulations were put in place and typically have drainage tunnels that empty into nearby waterways. It's likely that holding pond was recently built in the last few decades. Most are abandoned decades or even longer than 100 years and there is no one to hold responsible.

Cleanup of these properties is being done with fees collected from the coal mining industry. For every ton of coal that is mined the mining company pays a fee, that fee is used to reclaim these properties and remediate issues like this. It's used for all types of abandoned mines and properties, not just coal mines.
And yet the EPA claims authority and the right to oversee all water ways and tributaries in the US and making them comply with their arbitrary laws concerning them.

They are quick to place and fine those responsible, with the exception of themselves. Funny how that works.

Old 08-09-2015, 11:20 AM

26,969 posts, read 15,187,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic

There are no accidents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight shooter View Post

A most negligent incident.

Old 08-09-2015, 11:30 AM

13,289 posts, read 7,841,936 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic

There are no accidents.

A most negligent incident.
Could have been willful or non-willful negligence.

No one is going to go there, though.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:23 AM

5,113 posts, read 5,958,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post

There are no accidents.

How do you "accidentally" release 1 million gallons?

A million gallons would be equivalent to 100 large fuel tank trucks that hold 10,000 gallons.

Actually they are now saying the spill was at least 3 times greater than first reported ... so more like 3 million gallons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies