Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 05:28 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,221,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaConservative View Post
On top of all the stress and BS I have to deal at work. Mind you, I work as a Manufacturing Engineer, the least favorite part of my job is dealing with union thugs.

Last week, I had to conduct a time study because we made some improvements to our machines and I was trying to get an average time on how long it takes to do one particular set of operations for one of our drilling machines.

The union steward came to my office and said that he wanted to supervise the entire time study. I said "No!" Per our contract, the steward has the right to review our study after it is done but this guy has no business being there while we are doing it. Not to mention that he is part of our maintenance crew and we really need him to assist with some of the ongoing projects we are doing.

Long story short, I almost got into a shouting match with this idiot. For those of you who stand up for unions, if you only knew what I have to deal with on a daily basis- Trust me, after more than 20 years in Manufacturing, I wish unions were outlawed.
I'm a shop steward. The proper way to go about this is to refuse to let the shop steward review the process and have management back you up. He can then file a contract grievance which he will lose.

You are some corporate shill who is hell bent on giving all unions a bad name. You've gone from some BS experience to wishing unions outlawed.

The Nazis and Fascists outlawed unions too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 06:52 PM

26,490 posts, read 15,066,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
But seriously, who wants to move to those states that have a very low cost cost of living, such as Kansas and Oklahoma? There's a very good reason why living there is so cheap. Very few people want to move to states such as that, since they suffer from such a bad image, thereby keep demand for goods and services down, leading to little upward pressure on prices.

I don't think right to work has done my town much good since it came. About 5 years after right to work passed the town's biggest factory shut down. It had employed up to 1200 people. Then a few years later a aerospace manufacturer bought the plant, but so far it's only employed a several hundred people.
That is an opinion, of where you'd rather live. Some might say there are lots of nice right to work states Virginia all the way down the ocean to Florida all the way to Texas are right work states. Wisconsin, Michigan and Indiana on the Great Lakes. Idaho in the mountains. Etc...

The fact of the matter is Right to work states on average have faster population growth and better job growth than non-right to work states.

The initial point stands. Right to work states when adjusting for cost of living have slightly higher incomes than non-right to work states. It is not logical for Union supporters to say "look this union job in Manhattan NYC pays a bit more than this non-union job in Tampa, Florida." Because Manhattan has a much higher cost of living and more state/local taxes. After you factor in cost of living, right to work states tend to pay more --- hence you can afford more.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:48 PM

1,603 posts, read 1,113,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
The Nazis and Fascists outlawed unions too.
Wrong. They replaced them with the state.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:52 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,309,108 times
Quote:
On top of all the stress and BS I have to deal at work. Mind you, I work as a Manufacturing Engineer, the least favorite part of my job is dealing with union thugs.

Last week, I had to conduct a time study because we made some improvements to our machines and I was trying to get an average time on how long it takes to do one particular set of operations for one of our drilling machines.

The union steward came to my office and said that he wanted to supervise the entire time study. I said "No!" Per our contract, the steward has the right to review our study after it is done but this guy has no business being there while we are doing it. Not to mention that he is part of our maintenance crew and we really need him to assist with some of the ongoing projects we are doing.

Long story short, I almost got into a shouting match with this idiot. For those of you who stand up for unions, if you only knew what I have to deal with on a daily basis- Trust me, after more than 20 years in Manufacturing, I wish unions were outlawed.

So you don't want any witnesses of you padding the times. Don't like your job, quit ... There are hundreds of people that can do it without the need to fight with the "Union Thugs".

Old 08-10-2015, 08:00 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,309,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
And how do you propose that happening? Fire them? Have you ever had to fire a Union employee? You make it sound like its dealing with a non-Union employee, but its not even close. And you may already know that, but are trying to make the Union look better with misinformation.

In MY Union shop plenty of people have been fired for various things, attendance, production, not following work rules, etc.. The only difference is in a Union shop you can't fire someone because you are diddling their wife, or they are diddling yours.

Old 08-10-2015, 08:07 PM

5,993 posts, read 3,732,828 times
Looks like the OP got outed as a shill so he vanished. Not surprising.

Old 08-10-2015, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Exactly! I think most of these silly Libs that claim to be pro-union have no idea how unions operate. Last week, I was reading our most updated contract and get this, a millwright gets $150 dollars just for being on call on the weekends on top of double pay to work weekends!

Honestly, this town where I live-Cedar Rapids is losing jobs year after year because of these stupid unions. I will give it 10 years and most of the manufacturing base here will be gone.

Why set up shop here if you can go down to South Carolina where there are no unions, build a brand new plant for half of the cost and save on average 8-10/hr per worker?
By being on call this millwright is prepared to go back to work in the middle of his favorite sporting event or in the middle of the night. He or she doesn't go more than 50 miles from home for the entire weekend. That's Friday night through Monday morning.

Cedar Rapids is losing jobs to China and Vietnam.

I've been to South Carolina. The state is full of boarded up stores and poverty. That belt of states from SC to Louisiana are the most welfare dependent states in the union. You don't just build a plant and staff it up. These people need to have the right job skills.

With the proper work ethic unions protect good people from supervisors that are bullies and arbitrary firings.

I wasn't kidding before. Making unions illegal is a characteristic of Fascism.

Old 08-10-2015, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veneficus View Post
Wrong. They replaced them with the state.
Mussolini called it class collaboration. If what remained did not resemble the rights that union members have then we can joust with words all we want. They were still destroyed.

See the economics of Fascism: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economics_of_fascism

Old 08-10-2015, 08:30 PM

2,068 posts, read 998,731 times
Quote:
By being on call this millwright is prepared to go back to work in the middle of his favorite sporting event or in the middle of the night. He or she doesn't go more than 50 miles from home for the entire weekend. That's Friday night through Monday morning.

I've been to South Carolina. The state is full of boarded up stores and poverty. That belt of states from SC to Louisiana are the most welfare dependent states in the union. You don't just build a plant and staff it up. These people need to have the right job skills.

With the proper work ethic unions protect good people from supervisors that are bullies and arbitrary firings.

Yeah, unions are great. Just ask all of those steel workers in Pittsburgh, all of those auto workers in Detroit and all of those textile workers in the northeast.

Unions offer all of the best of the Soviet Union and Cuba - everyone makes the same wage regardless of their skill. All they need to do is show up for work. The work rules gravitate to the least common denominator - just like education levels. Make the "acceptable" level equal to the output of the slowest person in the group to guarantee that they can be "acceptable". With no incentive to do better than "acceptable", everyone else moves down to the "acceptable" level. Output slumps, wages continue to increase, and eventually someone else says "Hey, I can do that job cheaper and more efficiently." The unions are left with the buggy whips.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:04 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,300,927 times
Quote:

Unfortunately the proper work ethic was not the most important thing for UAW. Perhaps they've changed since but I have my doubts.

Back in 1998 they went on strike in all GM plants for about 2 months for no real good reason - and that's not my opinion but many of the UAW own members. There were problems with quality and work efficiency in one of GM truck plants and the corporation canceled a major investment in that plant because of this, so the UAW leadership decided to show them that they had bigger balls. They caused hardship for the rank and file who had to forego two monts worth of income, and about 3 billion in losses to GM. I was working on a project for Delphi at the time and on that project alone, GM had to pay well over a million in delay and cancellation charges. All so that UAW could get their cake and eat it too.

As I said, I am not against the principle of unions, but from what I saw in my industry they were completely out of hands and rewarded lazy, combative, cheating types at the expense of hard working people.

And honestly, I don't understand why someone with a GED who screws the same four fasteners into the same four holes every 52 seconds deserves to be paid $25/hr and heavy overtime plus generous benefits. Especially since whenever they f'up it's never their problem, the corporation needs to provide controls and part scanners to make sure they don't put a red mirror on a black car. People who went to college and got an engineering degree often start making less money and are expected to own up to their screw ups. I have the highest respect for the millwrights and electricians who know what they are doing and don't try to milk the system, it takes brains and knowledge to be a good electrician, but the majority of people pulling in $80k after overtime back in the day, could be replaced by a well trained monkey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies