U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 11:23 AM

26,319 posts, read 24,418,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
He wasn't a boy.

They keep referring to him as a football player? So in my mind, he is still in school and still a boy, what, maybe 16, 17?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 11:24 AM

26,319 posts, read 24,418,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Extrajudicial shooting at the scene of the crime is not considered a proper legal response to the crime of vandalism in most jurisdictions. It doesn't matter if the perpetrator was jumping on cars, at night even. All that matters is whether the conditions merit the use of lethal force.

Very much so. That doesn't mean the police officer was right.

What should give us cause for concern is whether his football player status somehow led to extra scrutiny in the case...
of course the jury is still out on this, but the boys actions just don't seem right? I just cannot understand, why he would do such a crazy thing?

Old 08-12-2015, 11:25 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,842,133 times
I will concede that it is ridiculous that this kind of behavior is slowly becoming the norm, but I still don't see how a person jumping on cars and damaging property necessitates a shooting.

As Ferd said we need to wait to hear all of the details, but based on what you posted , I would say the officer was in the wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Why would you be in a car dealership destroying cars, drive your car through the dealership's window, and expect not to get shot?
Arrested? Yes. Serving jail time? Yes. Shot? You have to be kidding.

Quote:
I am asking you to please not respond in anger, this is simply open for discussion....do you honestly think, this boy was wrong?

He drove a car through the show room window????????

He was jumping up and down on top of a cars, damaging them on purpose....????

Why would he do that? At night? To see what he could get away with? For kicks?
Where does this concept come from? That its ok to do that?
Doesn't matter why he was doing it.
He was destroying property. Not being a threat to other lives.
Especially in today's social climate, an officer had better damn well know that unless there is a legitimate threat to his safety he better not be shooting unarmed people.

Old 08-12-2015, 11:27 AM

18,551 posts, read 9,541,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Extrajudicial shooting at the scene of the crime is not considered a proper legal response to the crime of vandalism in most jurisdictions. It doesn't matter if the perpetrator was jumping on cars, at night even. All that matters is whether the conditions merit the use of lethal force.

Very much so. That doesn't mean the police officer was right.

What should give us cause for concern is whether his football player status somehow led to extra scrutiny in the case...
Texas Penal Code Sec. 9.42

PENAL CODE CHAPTER 9. JUSTIFICATION EXCLUDING CRIMINAL RESPONSIBILITY

Old 08-12-2015, 11:28 AM

22,745 posts, read 16,188,147 times
I think that the alleged crime did not merit on-the-spot execution.

Old 08-12-2015, 11:32 AM

22,745 posts, read 16,188,147 times
Quote:
They keep referring to him as a football player? So in my mind, he is still in school and still a boy, what, maybe 16, 17?
He was still in school. According to the link in the OP, he attended Angelo State University.

Old 08-12-2015, 11:32 AM

624 posts, read 298,995 times
I doubt the officer fired on the young man just because he was jumping on cars.

I'm going to give the officer the benefit of the doubt that something happened inside that made him feel that he was in imminent danger.

With that said, the officer broke protocol and ran into the dealership by himself. He was supposed to wait for another officer.

The officer put himself in a bad situation instead of waiting for his trainer and having both of them tackle this strategically.

Both the officer and the young man were wrong. The young man has already paid the price for his mistake. The officer will also have to pay a price.

Old 08-12-2015, 11:33 AM

11,881 posts, read 10,344,431 times
Not many details in the story but as of now I think the Officer did not do his job-which is to detain the alleged criminal.

So many lazy Cops that assume they can get away with murder-literally. Their job is to detain criminals, some of whom will not obey orders. It will often be difficult, but it still doesn't mean you can kill them. This is what we pay them for.

Old 08-12-2015, 11:37 AM

17,995 posts, read 8,124,038 times
Quote:
of course the jury is still out on this, but the boys actions just don't seem right? I just cannot understand, why he would do such a crazy thing?
I dunno. None of us can know for sure now, can we?

Intoxication comes to mind. But people do crazy things without being intoxicated too. Maybe a bet or a dare? Also, some kind of mental condition. Statistically, schizophrenia most often makes its first appearance in young adults. Who knows what he thought he was doing?

Old 08-12-2015, 11:38 AM

5,885 posts, read 4,516,012 times
Quote:
Sec. 9.43. PROTECTION OF THIRD PERSON'S PROPERTY. A person is justified in using force or deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property of a third person if, under the circumstances as he reasonably believes them to be, the actor would be justified under Section 9.41 or 9.42 in using force or deadly force to protect his own land or property and:
(1) the actor reasonably believes the unlawful interference constitutes attempted or consummated theft of or criminal mischief to the tangible, movable property; or
(2) the actor reasonably believes that:
(A) the third person has requested his protection of the land or property;
(B) he has a legal duty to protect the third person's land or property; or
(C) the third person whose land or property he uses force or deadly force to protect is the actor's spouse, parent, or child, resides with the actor, or is under the actor's care.
This is the part that might get him out of legal trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or