U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 11:38 AM

624 posts, read 300,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I dunno. None of us can know for sure now, can we?

Intoxication comes to mind. But people do crazy things without being intoxicated too. Maybe a bet or a dare? Also, some kind of mental condition. Statistically, schizophrenia most often makes its first appearance in young adults. Who knows what he thought he was doing?
Maybe bath salts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 11:38 AM

26,357 posts, read 24,528,919 times
I'm going to wait and see, and try to be biased, b/c the news article said, there was an altercation....

but the fact that really boggles me, is why was this kid doing this? I'm sorry, as old as I am, just cannot get over the complete disrespect for the property of others....

and I'm not saying he deserved to be shot, but in this climate, being out there and doing such a stupid thing, to me, is just insane....unless he was doing drugs or something?

I'm sorry, I just don't get it, he seems like such a beautiful kid.

Old 08-12-2015, 11:39 AM

16,284 posts, read 9,119,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winning Guy View Post
I doubt the officer fired on the young man just because he was jumping on cars.

I'm going to give the officer the benefit of the doubt that something happened inside that made him feel that he was in imminent danger.

With that said, the officer broke protocol and ran into the dealership by himself. He was supposed to wait for another officer.

The officer put himself in a bad situation instead of waiting for his trainer and having both of them tackle this strategically.

Both the officer and the young man were wrong. The young man has already paid the price for his mistake. The officer will also have to pay a price.
I am going to give the forensics the benefit of the doubt.

Old 08-12-2015, 11:43 AM

18,929 posts, read 9,646,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I think that the alleged crime did not merit on-the-spot execution.
Read the Texas Penal code.

Old 08-12-2015, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
yes, this brings to mind that other case in Texas, where a neighbor shot a man, for breaking in and was climbing out a neighbors window, it was a big controversy, but I believe he was in the right according to this Penal code, and please correct me if I'm wrong, b/c I forget things.

Old 08-12-2015, 11:55 AM

6,032 posts, read 7,568,249 times
Apparently the officer was ex military and had some experience there. Also Austin PD has a good reputation. Lets see how this plays out.

Old 08-12-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
yes, this brings to mind that other case in Texas, where a neighbor shot a man, for breaking in and was climbing out a neighbors window, it was a big controversy, but I believe he was in the right according to this Penal code, and please correct me if I'm wrong, b/c I forget things.
Texas Castle Law.

Not sure how that applies to the police. But yes, Texas law provides a very wide swath of action on the part of a homeowner or someone acting in the behalf of a home/property owner.

Old 08-12-2015, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Texas Castle Law.

Not sure how that applies to the police. But yes, Texas law provides a very wide swath of action on the part of a homeowner or someone acting in the behalf of a home/property owner.
it doesn't apply to the police, just came to mind while reading posts....sorry...I tend to get off topic a lot....

Old 08-12-2015, 12:12 PM

12,045 posts, read 5,718,913 times
Quote:
Arlington Police Fire Officer Who Killed Unarmed Football Player Christian Taylor - ABC News

I don't know, I just don't know....? Why would you be in a car dealership destroying cars, drive your car through the dealership's window, and expect not to get shot?

The news keep referring to him as a football player....?

I can only look back and think about the fact if this were me? Would I even consider doing something so dumb, let alone at night, thinking that there wouldn't be consequences...what could this boy be thinking?

I'm sorry, but I don't believe the officer was in the wrong here....

What do you think?

There is something wrong in our society today, that these kids think it's ok to do these things...let alone, with our police force....they give our police force guns, training, and retrain them every year, but when something like this happens, the force doesn't back their own men?

Something is very wrong....and needs to be changed?

I am asking you to please not respond in anger, this is simply open for discussion....do you honestly think, this boy was wrong?

He drove a car through the show room window????????

He was jumping up and down on top of a cars, damaging them on purpose....????

Why would he do that? At night? To see what he could get away with? For kicks?
Where does this concept come from? That its ok to do that?
I live in the area - 3 units responded (total of 6 officers) Officer Miller and his Training Officer were first on scene. Miller didn't follow orders. He approached Taylor on his own and got into an "altercation" (which we don't know about yet - but the Police certainly does) Miller's training Officer was using or attempting to use a Taser, Miller used his gun and pumped the obviously unarmed Taylor with 4 bullets.

Miller (age 49) has been fired and the case turned over to the Tarrant County District Attorney and a case will go before the Grand Jury. Odd thing about Miller's age - he is a Rookie who is still with his Trainer. I suspect that Miller is former Military & that could be why he did not follow the Protocols and jumped into the situation on his own (I'm basing that on his age, but it's also very possible he is a new transplant from another City.) Arlington has a good police Department and is among the minority in the USA for their stringent requirements to enter the Police Department. A 4 year degree is mandatory in almost all cases, many officers have advanced degrees. All new recruits must go through the Police Academy - it doesn't matter where you came from or how long you have been a police officer. Arlington Police is innovative & proactive - they had a program for Police Officers in schools beginning in 1984.

I checked out Christian Taylor by reading his Twitter account going back a year. Hard to believe he is the out of control guy in the video -- but he is. Drugs almost have to be involved, he has one small blip with a prescription drug from not too long ago and nothing that would indicate any gang activity that I could see. He was excited about starting college and his football scholarship. I fully expect the Tox reports to show some sort of drug or alcohol - this was not normal for him that I could tell.

I think the Chief of Police made the right call. I applaud the family & friends of Christian Taylor for the way they have handled such a tragic event. We will know more as the investigation continues.

We had a long thread on this when it happened .... several of us posted their will be no "riots" and why.
Looks like Arlington, TX might be next on the "hands up, don't shoot" riot list - CityData

Old 08-12-2015, 12:26 PM

Quote:
it doesn't apply to the police, just came to mind while reading posts....sorry...I tend to get off topic a lot....
LOL. yea me too....

back to the subject.

I was watching the video of this guy jumping on the cars and Im with you im just thinking "what is he thinking???"

no emotion. He just looked like he was sitting on a bench in a park waiting patiently on someone. but he was destroying cars on a car lot.

gotta wonder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or