Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 06:55 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
Why should cops have to take charging behemoths and hope they only wind up being pistol whipped. These aren't Walter Scott shot in the back police shootings.
Statements not presented in evidence are dismiss able.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 06:59 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,290,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Statements not presented in evidence are dismiss able.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vlag-XziRfc

Old 08-11-2015, 07:06 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
I have no clue as to what that has to do with this topic.

Old 08-11-2015, 08:06 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
If the police department has gathered inside information and determined that the police officer acted irresponsibly, I respect that decision. It's a very sad situation. I'm hoping that the toxicology and autopsy reports give us more insight into the situation.

Old 08-11-2015, 08:56 PM

24,405 posts, read 23,061,247 times
The guy was clearly in an altered state and going ape $#@& on that car dealership. Was he on drugs, drunk, mad at his girlfriend, suffering a total mental melt down, we don't know. But he was violent and dangerous. Should he have been shot? I don't know. Certainly tasering him and putting sevel shots with a nightstick upside his empty noggin would have been preferred over shooting him to death. Beat him down and handcuff him and let him sleep it off in a nice soft hospital bed. It was a rookie cop. Maybe he was afraid of what was a large belligerent out of his mind screwball. I'd have shot him if he charged me although if I was a cop and was trained to use a taser I'd have gone for that first. But we've seen many cases where racism was cried and then it immediately goes the other way. So we'll have to just wait this one out and wait for the facts and let rational thinking decide for us and then we'll tell our leaders what to do. Until then, just ignore the haters and their cries of racism.

Old 08-11-2015, 11:02 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,531,383 times
The Arlington PD powers took an immediate proactive and responsible stance.
They addressed the obvious issue that the officer violated protocol even before the shooting and his doing so is a fireable offense. They acknowledge that the issue of the shooting itself will properly be handled by a grand jury.
Further, the Arlington police chief reached out to Taylor's family and the family has said that the PD's actions are a "step in the right direction".

If other LE agencies (I'm looking at you, Ferguson) acted in an equally professional manner, rather than stonewalling, then there would be no riots.

Old 08-12-2015, 11:09 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Default Police shoots boy and arrested

Arlington Police Fire Officer Who Killed Unarmed Football Player Christian Taylor - ABC News

I don't know, I just don't know....? Why would you be in a car dealership destroying cars, drive your car through the dealership's window, and expect not to get shot?

The news keep referring to him as a football player....?

I can only look back and think about the fact if this were me? Would I even consider doing something so dumb, let alone at night, thinking that there wouldn't be consequences...what could this boy be thinking?

I'm sorry, but I don't believe the officer was in the wrong here....

What do you think?

There is something wrong in our society today, that these kids think it's ok to do these things...let alone, with our police force....they give our police force guns, training, and retrain them every year, but when something like this happens, the force doesn't back their own men?

Something is very wrong....and needs to be changed?

I am asking you to please not respond in anger, this is simply open for discussion....do you honestly think, this boy was wrong?

He drove a car through the show room window????????

He was jumping up and down on top of a cars, damaging them on purpose....????

Why would he do that? At night? To see what he could get away with? For kicks?
Where does this concept come from? That its ok to do that?

Old 08-12-2015, 11:10 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,417,223 times
He wasn't a boy.

Old 08-12-2015, 11:16 AM

20,459 posts, read 12,379,585 times
im willing to wait for the investigation to complete before deciding the officer was justified or not.

I will say this young man was in fact in the act of breaking the law when he was confronted by the police. He was no innocent who was attacked by the badge.

Old 08-12-2015, 11:19 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
There is something wrong in our society today, that these kids think it's ok to do these things...let alone, with our police force....they give our police force guns, training, and retrain them every year, but when something like this happens, the force doesn't back their own men?
Extrajudicial shooting at the scene of the crime is not considered a proper legal response to the crime of vandalism in most jurisdictions. It doesn't matter if the perpetrator was jumping on cars, at night even. All that matters is whether the conditions merit the use of lethal force.

Quote:
I am asking you to please not respond in anger, this is simply open for discussion....do you honestly think, this boy was wrong?
Very much so. That doesn't mean the police officer was right.

What should give us cause for concern is whether his football player status somehow led to extra scrutiny in the case...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies