Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 11:54 AM

20,410 posts, read 12,323,485 times

Advertisements

I know I am a hatemonger.

Any social program that does not require job search and/or job (re)training is oppressive.

I am FOR helping people. I am NOT for getting people hooked on government heroin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 12:02 PM

6,389 posts, read 4,092,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
I know I am a hatemonger.

Any social program that does not require job search and/or job (re)training is oppressive.

I am FOR helping people. I am NOT for getting people hooked on government heroin.
I'm afraid requiring people to do job search or job retraining isn't enough. You can require unmotivated people to do many things. But all they will do is figure out ways to beat the system.

I believe a better way to approach this is to somehow motivate people to lift themselves out of poverty.

I really really hate to sound like a right winger on this one, but I'm afraid raising the minimum wage won't help much. Both my parents worked minimum wage jobs and they were able to buy a house in a middle class neighborhood for us to live in.

Old 08-10-2015, 12:12 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,788,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
I'm afraid requiring people to do job search or job retraining isn't enough. You can require unmotivated people to do many things. But all they will do is figure out ways to beat the system.

I believe a better way to approach this is to somehow motivate people to lift themselves out of poverty.

I really really hate to sound like a right winger on this one, but I'm afraid raising the minimum wage won't help much. Both my parents worked minimum wage jobs and they were able to buy a house in a middle class neighborhood for us to live in.
The answer is simple, have benefits tapper off over time. Have every check or subsidy shrink 1% a week starting after 3 months on the program.

Old 08-10-2015, 12:15 PM

20,410 posts, read 12,323,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post

maybe 'right wingers' have been closer to right on this issue?

maybe we all benefit with both the right wingers and the left wingers start agreeing an issue is an issue (like you and I have done) and start working toward solition(s) that will work?

I think there is something to your point here. motivation is really important. I cannot think of better motivation than success.

I do NOT want to cut people off. nor do I want to end the very important social safety net. I do however want to see that social safety net become government heroin that people get addicted to and cannot shake.

it has noting to do with what government is spending. It has everything to do with the human condition.

Old 08-10-2015, 01:07 PM

6,389 posts, read 4,092,817 times
Quote:

maybe we all benefit with both the right wingers and the left wingers start agreeing an issue is an issue (like you and I have done) and start working toward solition(s) that will work?

I think there is something to your point here. motivation is really important. I cannot think of better motivation than success.

I do NOT want to cut people off. nor do I want to end the very important social safety net. I do however want to see that social safety net become government heroin that people get addicted to and cannot shake.

it has noting to do with what government is spending. It has everything to do with the human condition.
Well, the problem is that the loudest people on any issue tend to be also the crazies. The left breed out just as many crazies as the right. And unfortunately, these crazies usually are the ones who dominate politics.

Case in point. GWB became a president, yes? And yet, just a few short years before he became president, he was a champion of charging people and sending them to prison for doing something completely consensual and private. Bush on many occasions declared very loudly that he was 100% behind the anti sodomy laws and that he would veto any attempt at repealing that law.

I know someone will eventually ask me am I a 1-issue voter? After all, why not look at who benefits me more economically?

My answer to that has always been the same. Ain't matter how much money I've got. I can't spend it while in prison.

Wouldn't you agree that GWB was a crazy for being a champion of an extremely unjust law? And he got voted to the highest office in our country.

Crazies dominate on both sides of the fence. At the end of the day, nothing gets solved because the crazies on the right want to cut all social safety net programs and the crazies on the left insist on giving unlimited help to people without motivating them to lift themselves out of poverty. People who want to actually sit down and try to come up with a REAL solution often get drowned out by the crazies on either side.

Old 08-10-2015, 06:18 PM

820 posts, read 1,013,599 times
What about other programs? Anyone go to Job Corps out there? Similar programs now? How is it?

Nobody wants to admit to going to Job Corps? It's okay. don't be ashamed.

Old 08-10-2015, 06:22 PM

16,871 posts, read 10,523,078 times
Temporary assistance is fine. Long term government dependence creates ghettos.

Old 08-10-2015, 06:34 PM

17,360 posts, read 9,180,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Know Nonsense View Post
America has had lots of great programs to help the under-privileged and have helped to create independence and happiness for many struggling people over the long term. Do you think public housing has fulfilled it's intention and mission to promote independence and freedom for the under-privileged and do you think changes could help the situation possibly? Are things progressing on this important front and have things improved substantially over the past decade or so? What programs are noteworthy and helpful in your opinion? Thanks
NOPE - it's NOT working so well. It's rife with Fraud according to the latest Inspector General's Report, dated July 21, 2015. Did you hear about it??? Of course not, this stuff is just not "newsworthy" enough for 24/7/365 "breaking news" that is basically Reality TV.

IG Report for Overincome Families Resided in Public Housing Units - 2015

What We Audited and Why
We audited the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development’s (HUD) public housing program. We conducted the audit as part of our annual audit plan and a congressional request. Specifically, Congressman David P. Roe requested that we review the number of families residing ingovernment-subsidizedhousingwhoseincomeexceededcurrentincomel imits. Ouraudit objective was to determine the extent to which HUD-subsidized public housing units were occupied by overincome families and evaluate the impact of HUD policies.

What We Found
Public housing authorities provided public housing assistance to as many as 25,226 families whose income exceeded HUD’s 2014 eligibility income limits. Of these 25,226 families, 17,761 had earned more than the qualifying amount for more than 1 year. HUD regulations require families to meet eligibility income limits only when they are admitted to the public housing program. The regulations do not limit the length of time that families may reside in public housing.

The 15 housing authorities that we contacted choose to allow overincome families to reside in public housing. HUD did not encourage them to require overincome families to find housing in the unassisted market. As a result, HUD did not assist as many low-income families in need of housing as it could have. We estimate that HUD will pay $104.4 million over the next year for public housing units occupied by overincome families that otherwise could have been used to house low-income families.

This is FRAUD, this is CORRUPTION and it's nothing new. Look at the charts in this IG Report. The high income levels of these leeches will astound you. The ineptitude of Federal Agencies and the Federal Worker should be something we are all used to by now ..... oddly enough, it still shocks.

Old 08-10-2015, 06:42 PM

17,360 posts, read 9,180,345 times
Quote:

I don't think this is a Partisan issue - or at least it shouldn't be. It's not "Right" or "Left". There are a lot of people (particularly single women with children) that NEED some help. Do ANY of us really want people will salaries over $100,000 using up the Public Housing resources and keeping those who really NEED it from getting a spot?

I don't think so. It's like most Agencies - full of Fraud and Corruption.
Somebody has to Clean House and the people (Right/Left/Middle/Black/White/Red/Yellow/Brown/Purple/Rainbow) have to step up and DEMAND that this stuff get's FIXED.

Old 08-10-2015, 06:56 PM

34,274 posts, read 19,284,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
NOPE - it's NOT working so well. It's rife with Fraud according to the latest Inspector General's Report, dated July 21, 2015. Did you hear about it??? Of course not, this stuff is just not "newsworthy" enough for 24/7/365 "breaking news" that is basically Reality TV.

IG Report for Overincome Families Resided in Public Housing Units - 2015

What We Audited and Why
We audited the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development’s (HUD) public housing program. We conducted the audit as part of our annual audit plan and a congressional request. Specifically, Congressman David P. Roe requested that we review the number of families residing ingovernment-subsidizedhousingwhoseincomeexceededcurrentincomel imits. Ouraudit objective was to determine the extent to which HUD-subsidized public housing units were occupied by overincome families and evaluate the impact of HUD policies.

What We Found
Public housing authorities provided public housing assistance to as many as 25,226 families whose income exceeded HUD’s 2014 eligibility income limits. Of these 25,226 families, 17,761 had earned more than the qualifying amount for more than 1 year. HUD regulations require families to meet eligibility income limits only when they are admitted to the public housing program. The regulations do not limit the length of time that families may reside in public housing.

The 15 housing authorities that we contacted choose to allow overincome families to reside in public housing. HUD did not encourage them to require overincome families to find housing in the unassisted market. As a result, HUD did not assist as many low-income families in need of housing as it could have. We estimate that HUD will pay $104.4 million over the next year for public housing units occupied by overincome families that otherwise could have been used to house low-income families.

This is FRAUD, this is CORRUPTION and it's nothing new. Look at the charts in this IG Report. The high income levels of these leeches will astound you. The ineptitude of Federal Agencies and the Federal Worker should be something we are all used to by now ..... oddly enough, it still shocks.
Sigh.

No its not fraud and corruption. From your own copy and paste:
Quote:
HUD regulations require families to meet eligibility income limits only when they are admitted to the public housing program. The regulations do not limit the length of time that families may reside in public housing.
Go read that again.

Now you want to be realistic and suggest that we should.....oh I dunno kick anyone off Section 8 whose income has exceeded the income limits? That might be reasonable, although rife with unintended side effects. Instead you go hollering about fraud, and corruption. Its nothing of the sort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies