Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 10:47 AM

78,016 posts, read 60,221,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Both sides seem very focused on the spark that set off the powder keg. Perhaps they should spend their time pondering why there was a powder keg in the first place.
True, there are valid complaints in the community.

The problem with the Michael Brown issue was that the community rallied around an event based upon early lies told to news reporters by his friend and relatives including people who weren't even there.

In the rush to report they put out the narrative prior to having any verification that he was shot in the back and "executed".

Then everything erupted and there was no turning back as more facts came out.

As a result the incident loses a lot of it's punch in being able to show the problem and cross color lines as effectively as you saw during the civil rights movement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 10:47 AM

624 posts, read 378,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
What's your definition of no peace? Your or else definition is pathetic in the context of no peace.
I think you're missing out on everything that has led up to this. That has been no peace for quite some time.

I've spoken to people who have lived in and near Ferguson. There has been tension for a long time.

There is a big criminal element, and there's also a very abusive police force.

Things were bound to boil over some time.

It's unfortunate that the straw that broke the camel's back was Michael Brown, because he's really a bad example. That kid was a criminal.

But I think it's a mistake to look at things through the lens of only this incident and what followed instead of what it was like for decades before.

The people of Ferguson had every right to be frustrated. They had every right to protest. They had every right to vocally vent their anger and demand change.

Old 08-10-2015, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuddingPops View Post
No, they're not. And if you truly believe that, then you're a part of the problem. If they want to bring change peacefully, then they could start by going home and taking care of their kids. Or if they don't have any yet, then they should be going home anyway so they can get up early the next day and go out looking for a job or something productive to do with their time.

Instead they go out and complain about police brutality, or whatever the current chosen target is to deflect blame. Each and every one of them is a loser. Maybe a few of them will realize that one day and make a change in themselves, but most probably won't.
You're jumping to conclusions and making prejudicial claims about the whole group.

You say that they don't want to peaceably assemble, yet that is exactly what they were doing.

Or when one or two people commit a violent act, is it your nature to automatically assign those traits to the entire group?

Old 08-10-2015, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepheyr View Post
Brother you are living in a fantasy world.
The ideals of the United States of America is a fantasy world?

Perhaps in your opinion. They are definitely a fantasy for the vast majority of the world. And maybe it's a fantasy for me to think that we can achieve them.

In my opinion they are ideals that we should all do our best to stand for.

Old 08-10-2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
These protestors are using Criminals and Junkies as their Hero's. The marches honor these Criminals.
Hard not to "group everyone there together" - when they cheerfully group themselves with their poor choice of a Hero. The Eric Holder Department of Justice could not find any reason to prosecute Wilson after the Hero/Gentle Giant robbed a store and then attacked Officer Wilson and tried to take his gun.

They burned Ferguson, they looted and destroyed and now they come back to Honor Michael Brown - call for "war" and loot again. There is a lot of "ignorance" in Ferguson and it begins with the attempt to turn Michael Brown into a Hero-Martyr.

How do you (or they) expect any reform of anything with such poor choices & violent people who have no respect for Law and Order OR private property?
I don't know if "hero" is the right word. I think "symbol" is probably more appropriate. Brown is kind of a rallying symbol.

But make no mistake, the problems in this community have been going on for a long time. Yes, a lot of it is self-inflicted (community-wise) because of stupid gangs. But it's compounded by the fact that the police department there has been pretty bad with the community.

I agree that using Michael Brown as a rallying symbol is not very good. But it was more a breaking point than the real cause.

As for looting... that's a bunch of young punks. Many of them are not even from the community, but they see it as an opportunity to make gains amid the chaos.

Look, I'm not saying that the people of Ferguson are blameless. I'm just saying that there are all kinds of people there, and the vast majority are law-abiding adults that feel completely helpless and really don't know what to do.

Their protests are a cry for help, but are steered by people that probably couldn't care less about what happens to the citizens of Ferguson. A lot of it is political, and the people of Ferguson are pawns.

Old 08-10-2015, 11:01 AM

1,603 posts, read 1,110,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
so.... what....

is the gubbermint supposed to give Brown a headstone now?

blame his family.
I....did....

Old 08-10-2015, 11:02 AM

1,603 posts, read 1,110,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
St. Louis post-dispatch writer beaten, robbed at the protest last night:

Post-Dispatch reporter recovering at hospital after attack while covering Ferguson : News
he was white.

#whogivesadamn

Old 08-10-2015, 11:03 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,931,892 times
I hope liberals are proud of their handiwork.

Old 08-10-2015, 11:05 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,931,892 times
I hope the cops learned something about how to handle the "protests" (riots) this time around.

Suggestion: pass out job applications. I'll bet the gathering disperses in no time flat.

Old 08-10-2015, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
True, there are valid complaints in the community.

The problem with the Michael Brown issue was that the community rallied around an event based upon early lies told to news reporters by his friend and relatives including people who weren't even there.

In the rush to report they put out the narrative prior to having any verification that he was shot in the back and "executed".

Then everything erupted and there was no turning back as more facts came out.

As a result the incident loses a lot of it's punch in being able to show the problem and cross color lines as effectively as you saw during the civil rights movement.
So true.

The ball started rolling and there was too much momentum to stop. Too much outside political pressure pushing the ball forward. Outsiders coming in and riling things up and telling people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies