Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2015, 06:58 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,932,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Where?
No, don't sell Enigma777 a automatic weapon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 07:02 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,239,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Yes, in fact I do. Start going after the street gangs under RICO and start putting them in jail. Start immersing the areas of street violence with law enforcement. Including State, local and FEDERAL. Start educating people on the proper use and legality involved with using a firearm. Encourage people in the community to start reporting crime. Right now they are afraid to even report it. That is a good start. I am sure you could build on that.
They are already putting street gangs in jail. You want to immerse areas with law enforcement, well thats going to require us to start hiring thousands of people. Whose going to pay for it? Are you prepared to pay more taxes so that this can happen? And what do we do about the lone wolf style nutters? The James Holmes types? The Columbine type massacres?

Old 08-10-2015, 07:05 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,943,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
At least I am trying to think up some solution to our problem with firearms. It may not be the best idea but its an idea none the less. Do you have idea ideas on what to do freightshaker?

We don't have a problem with firearms. Anybody here have a problem other than Ken? We have a problem with crazy people, but that's separate. They use hammers, knives, guns, whatever.

Guns are already "registerd" on the 4473 form, they just don't call it that, cause it would be unconstitutional.

The ATF will buy your machine gun dude - the Mexican cartels pay them good money for a BAR.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:06 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,364,104 times
Quote:
If that situation does happen I would want that person with a gun to be the police or a Swat team not an armed accountant who thinks he can be a hero. Lets leave the brave work to the professionals.
You, like most people, have no idea how little firearm training those "professionals" get. The average CWP citizen shoots more and more often than the average police officer who most likely will never even draw his duty weapon much less fire it. Have you ever been to a range when a police officer is shooting? VERY few of them can hit the broad side of a barn - and these are the ones actually trying to improve! A few are very good, but most police, and trainers around the country will agree, are terrible shots and terrible at firearm handling largely because it isn't something they're interested in.

Sadly even criminals practice more and have a much higher hit rate than the police do.

Force Science News
Nearly 40% of the offenders had some type of formal firearms training, primarily from the military. More than 80% "regularly practiced with handguns, averaging 23 practice sessions a year," the study reports, usually in informal settings like trash dumps, rural woods, back yards and "street corners in known drug-trafficking areas."

...victim officers in the study averaged just 14 hours of sidearm training and 2.5 qualifications per year. Only 6 of the 50 officers reported practicing regularly with handguns apart from what their department required.

HIT RATE.

More often than the officers they attacked, offenders delivered at least some rounds on target in their encounters. Nearly 70% of assailants were successful in that regard with handguns, compared to about 40% of the victim officers, the study found. (Efforts of offenders and officers to get on target were considered successful if any rounds struck, regardless of the number fired.)

http://object.cato.org/sites/cato.or.../pdf/pa284.pdf
The police, who are "extensively trained" in the use
and security of their weapons, mistakenly kill about 330 innocent citizens a year...

gun owners mistakenly kill about 30 innocent persons a year, one-eleventh of the number
killed by police.

You may want to rely in the police, I'd rather rely on myself or my friends.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:06 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,975,890 times
Quote:
They are already putting street gangs in jail. You want to immerse areas with law enforcement, well thats going to require us to start hiring thousands of people. Whose going to pay for it? Are you prepared to pay more taxes so that this can happen? And what do we do about the lone wolf style nutters? The James Holmes types? The Columbine type massacres?
There's every indication from eywitnesses that James Holmes had help at the back exit of the theater. You'd also have to ask if he was hopped on the same akathisia inducing pysch 'meds' as the Littleton trenchcoat mafia. Substances that Coloradoans now milk ACA 2010 for and pop like candy for bad date disorder and failed career disorder.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:08 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,932,293 times
Quote:
Yeah, I'm willing to do my part in paying more in taxes to accomplish this, if it's on a national basis. If you are going to attack this, it has to be massive. As far as the nutters, you never get rid of them. Not even if you confiscated every gun. There are too many options and most generally the nutters are intelligent enough to come up with another means... I give you "Tim McVeigh" as an example.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:08 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,239,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
I just noticed "Ken" is from San Jose, CA, aka the Bay area, home of Diane Finstein and other anti gun zealots.

So frankly responding to him is beneath me.
Yet you did anyway.

Voted against Dianne Feinstein twice.

Anything intelligent to add to the discussion?

Old 08-10-2015, 07:15 PM

39,852 posts, read 26,477,889 times
Quote:
If someone is caught with a gun that isn't registered to them and the punishment is a 10 to 25 year sentence. Nobody is going to want to touch a gun that was stolen. Nor would a gangster want to be arrested with a gun knowing it would be a 25 year sentence. Other nations Australia, UK, etc have worked through these problems in their own nations. It worked for them, it can work for us.
It is already a federal felony with a minimum of a 5 year federal prison sentence if a felon is in possession of a firearm. Guess what? It still hasn't deterred criminals. Largely because our federal government won't enforce the thousands of existing gun laws. Can't lock up actual criminals now, can we? I do agree with you on a minimum 10 year sentence for someone in possession of a stolen firearm. We can do that today, with no new registration. Just a database where someone can report their stolen guns. But you don't think that would actually be enforced do you? Locking up criminals costs money.

29,433 posts, read 14,618,885 times
Quote:
At least I am trying to think up some solution to our problem with firearms. It may not be the best idea but its an idea none the less. Do you have idea ideas on what to do freightshaker?
interesting, a gun problem i think not. a violence problem for sure. again focus your angst at the criminals, you know the people that don't follow the laws. not the rights of the law abiding.

7,646 posts, read 9,943,762 times
Quote:
Yet you did anyway.

Voted against Dianne Feinstein twice.

Anything intelligent to add to the discussion?
No, I'm just a knuckle dragging gun nut salivating at the thought of getting to blow away a bad guy the first chance I get.

I gotta go out to dinner now, should I carry my 1911, or just go whole hog with an MP5?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies