Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2015, 09:39 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,859,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Oh my; the word contradiction must be foreign to you as your whole post contradicts that bolded part.

Now why do you fear them all? Because of the proliferation of firearms ...imagine that?

moronic.

Funny how you use the word "moronic". It describes your post, an extension of you, to a T.

Get with the program or wear big boy diapers. Your choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 10:59 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,699,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
That would be like aiming your gun at another shooter at a firing range. I have never heard of a shooting at a firing range, gun show or gun store.

Moonbat liberal train of thought...How could that possibly be? Aren't all of those guns dangerous in the hands of crazy people?

That's it in a nutshell.
actually there was a shoot out in a gun store once. massad ayoob detailed it in one of this articles many years ago. some guy decided to rob a gun store, and walked right by two uniformed police cars. he was wearing hearing protection. he drew his gun and pointed it at the store owner and demanded guns, ammunition, and money. the store owner, both police officers, and two armed customers all drew their weapons, and when the shooting was done the perp was dead, the store owner was slightly wounded, and nothing was taken.

Old 08-20-2015, 11:40 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,906,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Being shot at while your hiking along a trail because some nut that bought a gun and doesn't know the first thing about safety.

Guns don't belong in parks, especially for target practice and trashing the area, this wasn't about hunting season this was someone camping out and it was night time.

Mentally ill people with a gun that are incapable of understanding the range on a weapon, ever hear of a firing range?

Typical ignorant comments.

You CAN NOT target shoot in Natl Parks, or any other park I know of, other than a "shooting park" aka range. In fact, while you CAN carry in a N park, you can't discharge a gun. So other than clear self defense guns should be holstered.

Mentally ill people are not alloiwed to buy or possess a gun, already. Read the law.

Laws are not going to stop criminals. In a park, forest, or ghetto. All they do is make victims (or criminals) of law abiding citizens.

If you don't like me being able to protect my family, stay home where it is safe and enjoy the wilderness via Nat. Geographic.

Old 08-21-2015, 06:45 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,945,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
I beleive you. At least I dont want your guns though.

Good.

Yikes, I misunderstood and though that there was public land behind the back stop. Lets look at what you said: we didn't have to worry about anyone being in the woods near his land

Fair enough.

Is there any chance that those in the woods near your buddy's land have a right to be there? It does not really matter whether or not if the people in question are on public land or private land. If it is private land, they might be the owner or be there with his permission.

Nope. He and his dad own the land. Nobody else. This past weekend it was just myself, my buddy, my son, and his son. When we're shooting, everyone stands back until the person shooting identifies "range is cold!" Then we ALL walk down to stand to see what targets we hit. The only ones who have permission to be on his land are those he invites. So again, if someone is coming up from the woods from down range that would mean they are not invited, and whether or not it was accidental that they ended up on the property they are still trespassing.

At the end of the day, knowing that the back stop is not catching all the rounds and that there maybe people there, and that these people could well be there lawfully is not "cool" or "tough"- it is at the very least mildy dumb.

Again, if people are coming up from the woods from the direction of the stand or the back stop, they aren't there lawfully. As for the back stop not stopping everything, well... those woods are quite thick. Those bullets aren't going far without hitting a tree.

How dumb the shooting is is dependent on the totality of the circumstances. Which, as you clearly and accurately stated, I dont know. Therefore, I apologize for the "willfull stupidity" part of my comment.

Considering that my buddy is ex-military, as well as has a conceal carry, he's pretty cautious when it comes to shooting, and gun safety.

And of course, nobody ever goes into the woods- right? Maybe the scenario is not as bad as I pictured. His flippant atitude about the stray rounds irked me though.
The scenario isn't as bad as pictured. And like I said, the place is pretty remote. Yes there is a state forest close by, but it is opposite of where we are shooting. Not to mention in walking down his "road" toward the state lands when you come upon them it is clearly marked! Also, for those with private property, those properties are also marked with notices of private property. To sum it up... His "road" runs north to south. The state lands are to the south and east. When we shoot, we shoot toward the west. Can't shoot east, because it is in the direction of the "road" and someone owns property directly across from him. So shooting in that direction or any other direction would be irresponsible, as there are folks on both sides of him that own property. Now to the west? Totally different story.

Old 08-21-2015, 07:22 AM

56,954 posts, read 25,922,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Typical ignorant comments.

You CAN NOT target shoot in Natl Parks, or any other park I know of, other than a "shooting park" aka range. In fact, while you CAN carry in a N park, you can't discharge a gun. So other than clear self defense guns should be holstered.

Mentally ill people are not alloiwed to buy or possess a gun, already. Read the law.

Laws are not going to stop criminals. In a park, forest, or ghetto. All they do is make victims (or criminals) of law abiding citizens.

If you don't like me being able to protect my family, stay home where it is safe and enjoy the wilderness via Nat. Geographic.

You really need to educate yourself on what is actually happening in National Parks, there are plenty of examples of using them for target practice and their was a man recently killed, I guess he should have stayed home rather than risk a stray bullet.

I guess the person who used the artifacts at Dinosaur national Park for target practice didn't know the law?

Yes these people that show disregard for the power of a weapon are mentallly ill, maybe not by the clinical definition but certainly anyone that fires randomly shows complete ignorance.

Since you are now allowed to bring a loaded gun to a park some have gone the extra step, what a surprise. Seems like those carrying guns"to protect the family" are the problem.

Old 08-21-2015, 07:30 AM

119 posts, read 95,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
No.

Go live in one of the dark places on this map

so you know only criminals carry.
I'd live in Santa Barbara. My gun would just be an illegal alien from Nevada. (smirk)

Old 08-21-2015, 07:32 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,915,012 times
Quote:
You really need to educate yourself on what is actually happening in National Parks, there are plenty of examples of using them for target practice and their was a man recently killed, I guess he should have stayed home rather than risk a stray bullet.

I guess the person who used the artifacts at Dinosaur national Park for target practice didn't know the law?

Yes these people that show disregard for the power of a weapon are mentallly ill, maybe not by the clinical definition but certainly anyone that fires randomly shows complete ignorance.

Since you are now allowed to bring a loaded gun to a park some have gone the extra step, what a surprise. Seems like those carrying guns"to protect the family" are the problem.
You are backing what you say with ONE isolated incident. For the most part, nothing has changed with the change in the law to allow firearms in the national parks system. I would ask you to show me any topic of life and death responsibilities where there isn't ONE incident. I could make you a thousand examples of where people use other items with just as much irresponsibility as firearms. Those trained in firearm safety have among the lowest incidents of any group you can name. The issue is that those who are not adequately trained, such as criminals who disregard the law anyway, are creating the problem. Restricting firearms does not affect them. They will have them anyway.

Old 08-21-2015, 07:37 AM

119 posts, read 95,165 times
Quote:

Most people who own guns are responsible and quiet about it. The people we read about in the news are newsworthy because.. Well, generally they are idiots. You can't outlaw that, and banning guns won't help either.

Mexico has strict gun laws. So Juan can't protect his family with a gun, but the gangs have lots of them. So do the cops. I don't own a gun, but I fiercely support the second amendment.

( card carrying democrat, btw )

Old 08-21-2015, 08:59 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,403,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
That would be like aiming your gun at another shooter at a firing range. I have never heard of a shooting at a firing range, gun show or gun store.

Moonbat liberal train of thought...How could that possibly be? Aren't all of those guns dangerous in the hands of crazy people?

That's it in a nutshell.
Ooopsy; living under a rock are you?

Arizona shooting range reviews policy after 9-year-old kills gun instructor - World - CBC News

Ex-Navy sniper killed at Texas gun range - CNN.com

Many People Are Killing With Rented Guns at Shooting Ranges

National news and all that.......

Business owner killed, three suspects injured in robbery-gone-bad at Shawnee gun store | The Kansas City Star

Two shot at Don's Guns; one dead - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

For The Sixth Time In One Week, Man Shot At Gun Show | ThinkProgress

Gun control: Five hurt in accidental shootings at U.S. gun shows | National Post

Getting out from under your rock might preclude your tendency towards the inaccurate "nut-shelling" of anyone else.

Old 08-21-2015, 09:12 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,403,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
You are backing what you say with ONE isolated incident. For the most part, nothing has changed with the change in the law to allow firearms in the national parks system. I would ask you to show me any topic of life and death responsibilities where there isn't ONE incident. I could make you a thousand examples of where people use other items with just as much irresponsibility as firearms. Those trained in firearm safety have among the lowest incidents of any group you can name. The issue is that those who are not adequately trained, such as criminals who disregard the law anyway, are creating the problem. Restricting firearms does not affect them. They will have them anyway.
One isolated incident?

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/19/us...ntry.html?_r=0

"U.S. Forest Service data reveals that of the 1,126 shooting violation citations issued nationwide last year, more than a quarter occurred in Colorado, the Times found. Some 274 shooting violations were reported in the state’s Pike and San Isabel national forests. The total number of violations nationwide top those reported more than 10 years ago by about 300."

https://www.hcn.org/wotr/16348
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies