U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 12:42 PM

5,157 posts, read 2,609,976 times

Advertisements

I know the word "black" offends a lot of you, so I promise that from now on I will only use "African American".

Having said that, do you think it's a good idea to use a figure like Michael Brown as a rallying cry, considering that he was, after all, a criminal?

I'm an ex-cop. During the years that I worked as a cop, I pulled over some people that were rude and some people that were just as professional as I was toward them. Ever since I stopped being a cop, I've gotten pulled over a few times. And every single one of those times, I was always courteous to the officers and they were always courteous back to me.

I am not white. I belong to a relatively small minority group in the US. As a matter of fact, members of my group are often the butt of people's jokes. To deal with that, we just keep to ourselves and go on with our lives. Even the liberal movie makers are so afraid that people wouldn't watch their movies if they had the main character as someone from our group that they had to cast a white guy to play a clearly minority character. Think Dragon Ball Z.

My suggestion is if you want your message to be more effective, please choose another name that isn't connected to criminal activity to glorify. Every time I hear "Michael Brown", I can't help but get reminded that he was, after all, a criminal.

Old 08-09-2015, 01:02 PM

7,328 posts, read 4,017,748 times
When the African American General Council's Executive Committee has their next meeting I will inform them of your suggestion.

Thank you for your suggestion.

Old 08-09-2015, 01:05 PM

17,932 posts, read 17,857,033 times
It's simple, don't be a criminal and most likely you won't be killed by a cop. This is why I have no respect for their cause. I also cannot stand #BlackLivesMatter because ALL LIVES MATTER.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR465HoCWFQ

Old 08-09-2015, 01:06 PM

9,443 posts, read 10,198,692 times
About 100 gather at Lake Eola to protest police shooting of... | www.wftv.com
Protesters march Seattle streets in support of Ferguson, Michael Brown
Lens on Detroit: Hundreds rally downtown to honor Michael Brown, others | Motor City Muckraker
Times Square SHUT DOWN by thousands marching as Ferguson protests spin-off across the country on fifth night of tensions over gunned down teen | Daily Mail Online
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1904265
St. Louis college students stage walkout to honor Michael Brown : News
Ferguson Erupts in Rage After Police Kill Michael Brown – Spread the Protests

Its racist to remind a person that they are something different than yourself,
Now ,what say you to white people who concur that cops are not; judge , jury and executioner when they have to arrest a "criminal"

Old 08-09-2015, 01:11 PM

5,157 posts, read 2,609,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
About 100 gather at Lake Eola to protest police shooting of... | www.wftv.com
Protesters march Seattle streets in support of Ferguson, Michael Brown
Lens on Detroit: Hundreds rally downtown to honor Michael Brown, others | Motor City Muckraker
Times Square SHUT DOWN by thousands marching as Ferguson protests spin-off across the country on fifth night of tensions over gunned down teen | Daily Mail Online
New Yorkers stage demonstrations over Michael Brown - NY Daily News
St. Louis college students stage walkout to honor Michael Brown : News
Ferguson Erupts in Rage After Police Kill Michael Brown Spread the Protests

Its racist to remind a person that they are something different than yourself,
Now ,what say you to white people who concur that cops are not; judge , jury and executioner when they have to arrest a "criminal"
If a criminal with attitude lunges at a cop, what do you think the cop should do?

I was fortunate enough that the years I worked as a cop I never once had to pull out my gun. I also reserve the right to defend myself with deadly force if a criminal lunges at me because I have no idea what his intention is.

Old 08-09-2015, 01:14 PM

2,839 posts, read 1,696,794 times
This shameless turning of a dead thug into a martyr and all of the race baiting will cost Dems many non-black votes. Not just the Whites.

The America is not divided between White and Black. Rather, it's the mainstream America of different races, ethnicities and backgrounds - White, Hispanic, Asian, Indian - just trying to get along, vs the entitled, racist ghetto thug culture. Just ask any Asian kid in a diverse school what group of people are notorious for anti-Asian slurs and jokes.

And Obama would never be elected on the black vote alone. The Democrats are really shooting themselves in the foot.

Old 08-09-2015, 01:24 PM

13,612 posts, read 10,311,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
When the African American General Council's Executive Committee has their next meeting I will inform them of your suggestion.

Thank you for your suggestion.
Ha!

Old 08-09-2015, 01:27 PM

17,932 posts, read 17,857,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
This shameless turning of a dead thug into a martyr and all of the race baiting will cost Dems many non-black votes. Not just the Whites.

The America is not divided between White and Black. Rather, it's the mainstream America of different races, ethnicities and backgrounds - White, Hispanic, Asian, Indian - just trying to get along, vs the entitled, racist ghetto thug culture. Just ask any Asian kid in a diverse school what group of people are notorious for anti-Asian slurs and jokes.

And Obama would never be elected on the black vote alone. The Democrats are really shooting themselves in the foot.
This is so true, my GF moved here from Hong Kong. I also have a lot of friends from South Korea who moved here during elementary and middle school ages. They all had the same experience that they received the most bullying from a certain group and most of it wasn't from Hispanics or Whites. There is such a double standard in the Black community. They think they are the only minority that matters. If the attention isn't solely on them, they will call you a racist (of course I'm talking directly about those who make race an issue on everything, I have plenty of Black friends who aren't like this). The reason why Asians tend to have even higher average incomes than even Whites in this country is because of the parenting they receive. They don't get involved in thug culture. They study hard to get scholarships to get into a good university and so on. There is nothing holding back Blacks in our country besides themselves. I know plenty of successful Black people.

Old 08-09-2015, 01:28 PM

58,188 posts, read 41,018,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
Because in RW Utopia we'll do away with silly notions like due process, trial by jury, and proceed directly to sentencing and execution?

Old 08-09-2015, 01:28 PM

9,443 posts, read 10,198,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
If a criminal with attitude lunges at a cop, what do you think the cop should do?

I was fortunate enough that the years I worked as a cop I never once had to pull out my gun. I also reserve the right to defend myself with deadly force if a criminal lunges at me because I have no idea what his intention is.
8 White People Who Pointed Guns At Police Officers and Managed Not to Get Killed | Alternet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or