Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 02:38 PM

35,062 posts, read 17,006,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
Maybe, just maybe, you were mislead as to its real purpose and, because of peer pressure or other progressive biases, haven't awoken to the reality of what you're faced with or haven't willingly acknowledged it yet.
I give up. What is its real purpose? To jet plutocrats, autocrats and kleptocrats around the world?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2015, 02:40 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,978,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I give up. What is its real purpose? To jet plutocrats, autocrats and kleptocrats around the world?
You're getting warmer.

Old 08-16-2015, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
You're getting warmer.
OK, just to make politicians feel good?

Old 03-06-2016, 03:11 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,147,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Those UN boats should deliver the "refugees" right back to the cost of Libya/Algeria/Morocco.
Of course they should, and eventually (maybe much later, maybe much sooner) that is exactly what will happen. When the West says "enough" to invading swarms of low-skill people in increasingly high-tech societies.

This is a six month old thread, as I write, and much has changed. This particular problem has apparently gotten much worse, and might get far worse still when spring 2016 rolls around. Sweden, for example, has apparently said "enough" as have Hungary, Austria, and a few other countries.

Or, who knows: maybe magic fairy-dust will make this all go away. More likely, absent that and/or a helluva lot more concertina wire, army on the border, and minefields, the countries that are forced to deal with the invasion are lowered to the same Malthusian equilibrium of ignorance and poverty as the invader's homeland(s). Western peoples simply aren't going to stand for that, not long at-least. No one could, or should.

I find a rough analogy in Haiti, where a miserably overcrowded and corrupt country was hit dead-center by a devastating natural disaster (end of 2010), and promptly collapsed socially. I don't recall too many asking why the disaster caused so much trouble to begin with, absent their blaming others. Call me skeptical that much has improved there in the half-decade since.

The first step in dealing with problems is asking for help, then accepting responsibility and accountability once that help is received (from the UN, NGOs, etc.) to ensure the issue can't happen again. If you're in the middle of a war, join the army with half a million friends and overthrow the source of the trouble. Only next time, maybe consider electing (or installing) a strongman (strongwoman?) more inline with long term economic growth for all vs. some autocratic murdering barbarian prince.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
This is a six month old thread, as I write, and much has changed. This particular problem has apparently gotten much worse, and might get far worse still when spring 2016 rolls around. Sweden, for example, has apparently said "enough" as have Hungary, Austria, and a few other countries.

Or, who knows: maybe magic fairy-dust will make this all go away. More likely, absent that and/or a helluva lot more concertina wire, army on the border, and minefields, the countries that are forced to deal with the invasion are lowered to the same Malthusian equilibrium of ignorance and poverty as the invader's homeland(s). Western peoples simply aren't going to stand for that, not long at-least. No one could, or should.
Thanks for bumping the thread. I agree that much has changed, and all in the wrong direction. The Paris attacks, however, may bring some reality. Except for peoples' short memory that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
The first step in dealing with problems is asking for help, then accepting responsibility and accountability once that help is received (from the UN, NGOs, etc.) to ensure the issue can't happen again. If you're in the middle of a war, join the army with half a million friends and overthrow the source of the trouble. Only next time, maybe consider electing (or installing) a strongman (strongwoman?) more inline with long term economic growth for all vs. some autocratic murdering barbarian prince.
The OP, which I wrote, was satirical. I know the U.N. and the NGO's will do no such thing. They are dedicated to wating money at the public teet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies