Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 06:56 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,813,297 times

Advertisements

So are you all going to form a mob and come in the middle of the night and force out the "darkies."

This is a really odd, racist thread.

You know for a fact that all the black people in Iowa are from Chicago....yeah right.

And FWIW, I know someone black who is my age (mid 30s) from Iowa and she was one of 2 black families in her town and according to her, poor white Iowans are no better than poor black Iowans so if your issue is with poor people, say that unless the skin color to you is much more important than poor people behaving badly

Old 08-10-2015, 07:11 AM

25,838 posts, read 16,513,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaConservative View Post
Here in Iowa, there is a very interesting phenomena that has been going on for many years. Due to our proximity to Illinois, several Iowa towns receive hundreds if not thousands of African American "migrants" from the Chicago area, especially the South Side.

I have seen this in Des Moines, Ames and it is more prevalent here in Cedar Rapids, Waterloo and Davenport. I have nothing against people relocating to find a better life but here in Cedar Rapids in particular, there are two neighborhoods near Downtown that are basically what I call "Mini South Side of Chicago- Mind you, this is a city with a population of 128000.

The grocery store(Hy Vee) which is located right in the middle of these two neighborhoods is a very strange place because it is the only Hy Vee grocery store in this city with two Cedar Rapids cops inside the store at all times.

When I first moved here, I was shocked because not even in Des Moines, I had never seen anything like this not to mention that it is perhaps the only Hy Vee grocery store in this state that closes at midnight and does not stay open 24 hours.

The bank right up the street also has a police officer inside almost every time I have been there, this is something that is very unusual and bizarre for an Iowa city of this size. What are your thoughts? Should Iowa continue to embrace people from Illinois that bring a totally different mentality and lifestyle to this state?
I just drove through that area and was frankly shocked at what I saw in Waterloo. I expected a nice clean Iowa small city but instead thought I was getting gas in the east side of St Paul.

I guess you have to remember that they are Americans but just think and act differently than you. It's not an easy thing for small town folks to accept. I will stay away from that my whole life, I will have the luxury of being able to but my kids and grandkids are going to have to deal with their behavior because it's going to get tougher and tougher to stay away from it. Crime, noise and blight. My worst nightmare.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:13 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,702,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
So are you all going to form a mob and come in the middle of the night and force out the "darkies."

You know for a fact that all the black people in Iowa are from Chicago....yeah right.

And FWIW, I know someone black who is my age (mid 30s) from Iowa and she was one of 2 black families in her town and according to her, poor white Iowans are no better than poor black Iowans so if your issue is with poor people, say that unless the skin color to you is much more important than poor people behaving badly

I am more inclined to think there may be an insignificant migration from Rockford more so than the South Side of Chicago. Housing is more affordable in Iowa and it's certainly a safer place for children.

Old 08-10-2015, 08:02 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,752,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Vibrancy?

Is that on the approved PC non-migroaggressive list this week?
I doubt it. The term has been mocked for years, to the point that it's probably used sarcastically more often than not.

Old 08-10-2015, 08:14 AM

30,058 posts, read 18,650,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

MOST of the black patients I have (in Des Moines) are from Chicago originally. They are really nice folks who wanted to get the hell out of bad situation. The black folks I run across have jobs and are good people. We have imports from St. Louis who are similarly just dark skinned Iowans.

In Iowa City, an entire part of a quiet university town has been turned into a high crime ghetto and wrecked the place. One of my patients who grew up there (a 350lb, 6ft 6 black guy and a former football player) is afraid to go into that neighborhood. I grew up in that area and it is completely wrecked. Crime has escalated there and has spilled over into the university campus.

Why the difference? I have no idea. But I am happy for the hard working black folks we have in the DSM area, as they either had or incorporated "Iowa culture" and are just like the rest of us here.

Old 08-10-2015, 08:21 AM

1,603 posts, read 1,112,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Why the difference? I have no idea.
Poor people suck and have a major chip on their shoulder.

Old 08-10-2015, 08:44 AM

5,301 posts, read 2,352,427 times
I just moved to Madison a few months ago and experienced the same type of thing. Compared to Milwaukee it isn't that terrible, but I was very surprised at some of the surrounding areas.

I worked in retail (until a couple weeks ago...much better job now) and the amount of theft was crazy. Also, our store manager has been punched in the face by customers twice since I've been there, and he's a really nice guy. I've noticed that many of these people (black, white, Asian, or whatever) are wearing Chicago Bulls and White Sox gear...

Old 08-10-2015, 08:44 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,311,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

I am more inclined to think there may be an insignificant migration from Rockford more so than the South Side of Chicago. Housing is more affordable in Iowa and it's certainly a safer place for children.
Well, it says that you live in a suburb that is less than one percent black. So I don't know what you're giving a thumbs up about.

Old 08-10-2015, 08:50 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,311,864 times
The same thing is happening in Williamsport, PA, with people from the hoods in Philly moving there, and bringing a predictable rise in crime with them. It's an awful state of affairs.

Old 08-10-2015, 08:58 AM

30,058 posts, read 18,650,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veneficus View Post
Poor people suck and have a major chip on their shoulder.

Agreed-

The southeast side of previously crime free Iowa City has been turned into a dump.

This is just another example of the failed concept of racial "colonization" and the presumption that an environment will change the people. All that happened in Iowa City was that the people remained the same and ruined the town. The HUD initiative of Obama will do the same across America. What will happen? People who can afford to do so will move elsewhere and result in another ghetto created courtesy of the welfare state.

Again, the "imports" we have in DSM, in contrast, seem to assimilate, work hard, and are nice. Some of my nicest patients are Chicago transplants. I really do not know why it is different here. Perhaps it is because we have had a long term black population (although small) who have the same culture as white Iowans. Maybe it is because new arrivals are not concentrated in one part of town and appear to assimilate just fine. In Iowa City, the Chicago "transplant" population (initiated by a far left, radical leftist city council) is concentrated in one area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies