Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 12:12 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,094,521 times

Advertisements

At least this isn't a "Portland residents are racist for living in a city that black people don't move to" thread.

Old 08-10-2015, 01:37 PM

78,339 posts, read 60,539,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I'm not understanding what the issue is. So a grocery store closes at midnight. Ok. Is it an imperative that it stay open 24 hours a day? I mean, i don't go grocery shopping after midnight myself.

This grocery store has security. Ok. I don't find that to be highly unusual. It's only unusual in that it's an actual police officer, but i don't see anything else strange about a grocery store hiring security.

As to your last sentence, Iowa is a state within the United States. It doesn't get to choose who lives there. That's not to say that you should embrace people who move there from other places, but whether your do or don't is irrelevant. I doubt that the new residents are looking for acceptance.

Mentality and lifestyle? What mentality and lifestyle did they bring to Iowa that wasn't already there? Was Iowa some utopia at one time? I used to go up to the Quad Cities quite a bit when i was brokering John Deere equipment....let's just say that utopian isn't what came to mind. Why anyone from Chicago would go there looking for a better life is beyond me.
Setting aside most of the OP's stuff which I disagree with, the mention of cops at a grocery store there really caught me off- guard. I'd have lost that bet if asked....I guess things *have* gotten rougher around there over the last 20ish years.

Old 08-10-2015, 01:52 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,449,141 times
Could somebody who lives in Iowa .....tell me if Police in that State are allowed to work as private security guards, while wearing their Police department uniforms ? OR are they allowed to be posted AT a supermarket, while being paid by the city or county ??

In both cases that I set out above, it seems to me to be a clear abuse of the power of the uniform, and if they are on the Police payroll, while guarding a private business location, that is even worse.

Anybody have a clear answer on this question ?

Jim B.

Old 08-10-2015, 02:18 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,183,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Setting aside most of the OP's stuff which I disagree with, the mention of cops at a grocery store there really caught me off- guard. I'd have lost that bet if asked....I guess things *have* gotten rougher around there over the last 20ish years.
Oh, I believe it. The Rust Belt overall is a lot tougher than it once was due to loss of myriads of manufacturing jobs from the area. I'm sure that Iowa is no exception.

That said, here in Arizona, it's not unusual to have armed security at grocery stores. Our oldest grocery store, a Safeway, doesn't have an armed guard, but they close at midnight. And this area is about as bucolic as it gets for a small/medium sized town (about 45k people).

Old 08-10-2015, 03:35 PM

30,058 posts, read 18,655,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Just wanted to point out that black people are Americans unless they are from another country. We adhere to American culture which is pretty consistent no matter the state. There are some variations but by and by, one can always tell an American from a non-American, especially when we travel, people know that I (and I am black) am an American.

There is no reason why they would be different from you or have a need to incorporate "Iowa culture."

As stated, I have a good friend from a small town in Iowa. She actually moved to Chicago (shocker I know to the OP) for more career opportunities. She is just like a regular black American Chicagoan and I was surprised to find out she was from small town Iowa.

We are all the same. Our poor people also usually have the same sorts of dysfunctional behaviors. I know lots of poor white criminals and grew up in a heavily integrated neighborhood in Ohio and the poor whites were just as bad as the poor black people. They just didn't get as much attention due to the whole racial stereotyping thing.

Oddly enough, and to me this is funny, but my older relatives always used to say that poor whites were the worse of the worse in dysfunction and were super dirty and nasty and my great grandmother encouraged me to go to an HBCU because she felt, due to growing up around a lot of poor white people in the 1920s and 1930s that whites were disgusting house keepers and she didn't want me to have to potentially deal with a white room mate. They also were all "gangsters" lol (there was a lot of organized crime in the area near where she grew up with Italians and Irish gangs).

Just like that sounds racists and stereotypical, that is how the OP and those agreeing with him/her sound. The OP is also giving "conservatives" a bad name.

Not true-

People are not the same around the US. Northern midwesterners tend to have a very good work ethic and value education. Companies like Wells Fargo and Microsoft have expanded thier presence here due to that work ethic, despite the less than pleasant weather.

I do agree that there is nothing worse than poor white trash. One of the main reasons is their complete lack of religious indoctrination and the complete lack of any morality.

Old 08-10-2015, 04:34 PM

1,603 posts, read 1,112,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Could somebody who lives in Iowa .....tell me if Police in that State are allowed to work as private security guards, while wearing their Police department uniforms ? OR are they allowed to be posted AT a supermarket, while being paid by the city or county ??

In both cases that I set out above, it seems to me to be a clear abuse of the power of the uniform, and if they are on the Police payroll, while guarding a private business location, that is even worse.

Jim B.
I know when cops work private events like parades the organizers pay for them to be there.

Old 08-10-2015, 04:36 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,183,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post

Jim B.
Increasingly, I'm hearing about cops doing security duties in uniform in higher risk areas during on duty time. We came through Jackson, Ms a few weeks ago, and they had a sheriff's deputy patrolling a truck stop that our team ate at (a Petro) and providing in store security.

Don't know what started this trend, but in some jurisdictions, taxpayers obviously approve.

Old 08-10-2015, 04:49 PM

72,979 posts, read 62,563,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
That seems like the case in my experience as well. I think people just like to be where they fit in, and the good people will usually migrate away from the bad, regardless of race or anything else. Some will stay out of loyalty and desire to help their community, but most black friends I have aren't planning on going back to the area they're from. They specifically have said that they feel like a white person who leaves their backwards hick town, except in their case it's a neighborhood of ignorant criminals.
People do go where they think they can do better. My father actually ended up in Iowa at one point. He went there because he worked there. His only complaints were: Weather and not as much to do.

Personally, I have felt like I could fit in Iowa, Minnesota, or Wisconsin. However, in noticing many Blacks moving to Atlanta from the Midwest, it does make me wonder. My father(who is from Wisconsin) felt like going to Iowa for college would have been good for me. It would have been a different culture than being in the South. I stayed in Georgia because I already has a scholarship and out of state tuition is no joke. Otherwise, I would have been very happy to go to Iowa State.

I can understand wanting to leave a backwards place behind. I just have to consider Atlanta has its share of criminals. Crime has certainly dropped though.

Old 08-10-2015, 04:53 PM

361 posts, read 333,579 times
Just wanted to make a few points:

Cedar Rapids cops provide security for the grocery store I mentioned and they do work in uniform. For people who do not find anything wrong with it, all the other similar groceries in this town are extremely safe and they are all open 24 hours.

This one in particular, called the "Ghetto Vee" by the natives is probably the place in this city where you will find most problems, I have seen people fighting, dealing drugs and the amount of loitering is something I have never seen before, GHETTO MENTALITY at its finest.

For the person who mentioned Waterloo, the city is an absolute dump and it happens to be the Iowa city with the highest amount of African Americans.

After I learned about the history, essentially a lot of African Americans relocated to Waterloo because there was a stable manufacturing base, when all the jobs left, many stayed, unemployment went up, crime went up, the city is a ****ing dump. Similar thing happened in Davenport, I can't think of a more depressing city to live in.

So why so many Blacks "migrate" to some of the most depressing places in Iowa? Many had family members who migrated here long time and stayed, many come here because the cost of living is lower than Chicago, of course it is lower, there is nothing going on in these places and unless you are college educated, you will work a low paying retail or a factory job for the rest of your life.

Once again, I don't have any problems with people wanting a better life, but what we have in Waterloo, Cedar Rapids and Davenport are basically "migrant" ghettos and the future in these towns for someone without an education is very bleak

Old 08-10-2015, 05:26 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,584,341 times
Obama is importing the world's trash. Every decent town and city in the country will soon have its "fair share."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies