Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 08:38 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Burglars are generally not armed. If they were armed it would be easier for them just to go a rob a store.

Please stop confusing violent crime with property crime. The police need to use the appropriate level of force for each situation.
What fantasy world do you live in where the peaceful burglars never do any harm?

Man shot, killed inside home after walking in on burglary, deputies say | News - Home

Man to spend life in prison for killing teens in burglary

Burglar stabbed millionaire couple to death and killed their unborn baby in beach house horror - Mirror Online

Google can point you to thousands of stories of burglars murdering home owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
This dog was not 'charging'.
Why do you refuse to watch the video? All you have to do is watch it once to see the dog charging at the police officer.

Old 08-12-2015, 08:39 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,560,028 times
Quote:
The Philosophy forum is elsewhere on C-D.

This is a thread about a cop shooting a 26 pound dog.

What a heartless, disgusting question. Are you human?
It is actually a damn good question. This person would surely trade in his/her dog for a person/son. Nobody should ever have to bury a child but this makes for an eye opening discussion that dogs are not people.

Person>Dog.

Old 08-12-2015, 08:44 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
The Philosophy forum is elsewhere on C-D.

This is a thread about a cop shooting a 26 pound dog.

What a heartless, disgusting question. Are you human?
I understand why you fear this question being asked.

It will quickly show that the vast majority of people (we'll just say all sane people) don't actually consider their pets part of the family.

Ask me if I'd trade my daughter's life for my son's life or my son's for my daughter's, the answer would be no. I'd trad my life for either of theirs, but not another child. It would be tragic to lose a child, but since I equally value my children's lives, I would swap one for another.

If the poster CHOOSES to discuss how their dog is a family member and interjected the loss of their child, such a question is fair game.

Old 08-12-2015, 08:45 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
My first thought is, how many lies can he tell before people believe he's a liar? If someone lies about things, they are always going to lie. Besides, his actions are recorded and his report does not correspond to the video.

I also think that if he just ignored the dog it would have done nothing. It was 26 pounds, FGS! I also doubt that a couple in their seventies, with grandchildren, would own a vicious dog, but that's just my opinion. I understand that the cop probably didn't know who lived there, though.

In my town the police have a yearly meet-and-greet at a restaurant with the public. I went to one and specifically asked if they had a policy about how they handle dog encounters at places they may have to go. The officer said there is no policy, per se, but they all love dogs (demonstrated, I know they do) and would handle a situation like that case by case.

Now, every police officer in my town must have, at a minimum, a Bachelor's degree; a couple of them have Ph.D's. Yes, we pay high taxes, but we have excellent officers. They all take several psychological tests before being hired, and are rigorously vetted.

Ditto my town, which is ranked 22 among IL towns with the lowest crime rate. Our taxes are among the highest in the country but go toward schools.

I can't say for sure, but I doubt our officers would ever shoot a dog unless it was lunging for their neck. There haven't been any incidents like that and I've been here thirty years. I know they're always retrieving dogs and admonishing people who don't have secure yards and let their dogs out, because they hate having to tell people they found their pet either injured or dead on the side of a road.

It's ridiculous the way some cops feel their gun should be the first thing they reach for.

Old 08-12-2015, 08:48 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,023,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
READ YOUR LINKS BEFORE YOU POST THIS GARBAGE. One of those links has to do with a homeowner going to prison for shooting the burglars. That doesn't prove your point. Now give yourself 50 of these.

Old 08-12-2015, 08:50 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
Quote:
This dog was not 'charging'. It was not growling.

Besides, although that small dog could do little harm to the cop, a cat has the ability to leap onto his face and scratch his eyes out!

Watch out; cats are next!

Maybe in a few years we will hear stories of cops shooting hamsters...they have such dark, threatening eyes...

LOL a rep for you. When I saw the video and saw that dog running towards the officer my immediate reaction was that he would be bitten. I didn't see any fence that could contain the dog. It looked like a complex of town houses. Anyone who thinks that a burglar is never armed is living in la la land. That's the most ridiculous thing I've read on the internet all day. NOBODY should have to expect to be bitten by a dog, shot at, verbally abused, threatened and treated as anything less then a human being for doing a job. Yet police officers are treated this way and viewed as less then human. Why? I don't understand the mentality. John said that the haters are paranoid people and view authority as a threat. I'm beginning to think he's right. Honestly who in their right mind would want to go to work every day dealing with nothing but crap? I saw what the job did to my John the love of my life and knight in shining armor. It was 30 years of a very very hard life that almost cost us our marriage. We survived it because he's a good man. The vast majority of police officers are. How did this movement of hate start? This one size fits all mentality? I don't get it.

Old 08-12-2015, 08:51 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,641,738 times
Quote:

Why do you refuse to watch the video? All you have to do is watch it once to see the dog charging at the police officer.
I watched it twice.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:02 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,641,738 times
Quote:
I understand why you fear this question being asked.

It will quickly show that the vast majority of people (we'll just say all sane people) don't actually consider their pets part of the family.

If the poster CHOOSES to discuss how their dog is a family member and interjected the loss of their child, such a question is fair game.
You know, Pedro, after being boxed into a room with a man a foot taller than me and 100 pounds heavier in such a rage that he was foaming at the mouth while holding a loaded gun inches from my face, nothing much scares me these days, if anything. So, I have no fear of answering a question.

A poster may chose to reveal personal information; how that information is responded to tells all about the respondents character. Asking that was a low blow and you know it.

I disagree with your premise that the majority of people do not consider their pets members of their family.

If you are not too fearful, why don't you set up a poll and find out.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:16 AM

2,682 posts, read 2,178,384 times
Quote:
What media? Social media?

Yes, this is the most significant problem in America today. The shoot first and ask questions later policies of our law enforcement. In addition to the uncountable number of dogs that die because of it, hundreds of unarmed people die every year because of it.
"Uncountable" number of dogs?
"Hundreds" of unarmed people?
Sorry, but you don't get a pass here by making up vague figures.

As to "the most significant problem in America today," maybe it is to you. It is a social and political issue, but no better or worse than it ever has been, except that you suddenly decided to start paying attention.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:21 AM

2,682 posts, read 2,178,384 times
Quote:
A pat on the head would have stopped that little dog. Anyone can see that.
Great, another Dog Whisperer.

Except that the officer didn't see it, and it was his job to make the decision not yours. If the owners decide that he acted improperly, they can take it up with the department, or file a civil suit.

Funny, that "anyone can see that," yet quite a few people in this thread support the officer's actions. How do you explain that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies