Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 07:41 AM

231 posts, read 213,134 times

Advertisements

Statistics show that almost 90% of statistics are made up bullsh*t.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 07:54 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,365,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Baltimore Hits Grim Milestone of Year's 200th Homicide - Breitbart

I know for a fact, in Philly, there are gun shots every single day, up to 3 shootings a day, but crime is going down?

Right....so what do we do to get tough on crime.....?
Outside of most urban liberal cesspools crime is down. Inside some of them crime is way up. Fortunately Baltimore and Philadelphia are not the entire US.

Old 08-12-2015, 07:54 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,487,651 times
Quote:
statistics are a crime....they are lies, made up by the corruption that runs each city, and government system....

I really don't think a lot of people realize how corrupt our leaders our, even in our own communities.

I mean, really, have you ever looked around you, in your own city, town or where ever you live.
Yes. In my city, violent crime is way down from where it was 20-25 years ago. In my own neighborhood, I'm told that--even 10 years ago--the park that is across the street from my house used to be home to muggers, prostitutes, drug dealers, etc.

Of course, the decrease in crime in my area isn't an indication of what crime is doing across the country; that's what statistics are for.

Quote:
Count how many people are paying taxes and what you are paying...and then wonder, "Where in the hell, is all that money going to?" "What in the world are they doing with our money"?

They fudge the books, so it brings in more tourists...the amazing thing is, the same news that reports the shootings every morning, tells people "Come on Back to Philly" Crime is Down....

and it isn't.
I'm still not sure what you're basing this on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I measure crime where I live, by reading the police blotter in the paper, watching the news, etc. The blotter is actually quite informative, as it relays what types of crime and in what specific areas the arrests/incidents occur. Statistics don't tell me much. I still feel they are to biased to rely on. Its rather like weather reports. I can look out the window and get as good a read on things as what the weatherman will say.
Those statistics are from the same source as the police blotter. And, as I mentioned above, your police blotter isn't going to tell you about the crime rate across the country.

Old 08-12-2015, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Its not mocking you for your belief, its mocking you because thats not a reliable method of determining crime rates overall.

And crime has fallen dramatically for a while, although I would expect that to slow down now. Theres a statistically valid correlation between removing the lead from gasoline, and decreased crime. Turns out that as was expected lead did bad things.
Never heard that one before. I've heard that Roe v Wade and the increase in abortions caused crime to go down, and of course that the 100 million more guns in the US caused crime rates to go down, and '3 strikes you're out' and other stricter punishment laws caused them to go down, that an aging population has caused the crime rate to drop, but never that removing leaded gas did.

Interesting.
How Lead Caused America's Violent Crime Epidemic - Forbes

Seems to be world wide.
Did removing lead from petrol spark a decline in crime? - BBC News

Could higher remaining concentrations of lead (pipes, paint, old gas stations etc) in older urban cities be a reason why those areas have much higher crime rates than rural areas?

Old 08-12-2015, 08:21 AM

1,793 posts, read 1,441,134 times
I watched Law and Order last night.

CRIME IS UP!!!!!!!! ZOMFGBBQROFLCOPTER!!!!!!

Old 08-12-2015, 08:56 AM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,976,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
HAHAHAHAAHAHA, you are really making my day. You should be a comedian

Just wow...
_"NYPD report confirms manipulation of crime stats"_
NYPD report confirms manipulation of crime stats | Reuters

Otherwise, a lot of New York's Finest would have to work.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficCory View Post
I watched Law and Order last night.

CRIME IS UP!!!!!!!! ZOMFGBBQROFLCOPTER!!!!!!
Just think, if you'd also stayed at a Holiday Inn last night you'd be a criminology expert!

Old 08-12-2015, 09:12 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,255,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
_"NYPD report confirms manipulation of crime stats"_
NYPD report confirms manipulation of crime stats | Reuters

Otherwise, a lot of New York's Finest would have to work.
they are making these bogus statements b/c of the upcoming election...they want us all to believe, that crime is down, and jobs are up, all under Obama, so you vote in another Dem....I've been watching the news state that about jobs and crime for months now....but if a Republican gets in, the local liberal stations will report the opposite. It is so obvious.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:14 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,618,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
Yes. In my city, violent crime is way down from where it was 20-25 years ago. In my own neighborhood, I'm told that--even 10 years ago--the park that is across the street from my house used to be home to muggers, prostitutes, drug dealers, etc.

Of course, the decrease in crime in my area isn't an indication of what crime is doing across the country; that's what statistics are for.

I'm still not sure what you're basing this on.

Those statistics are from the same source as the police blotter. And, as I mentioned above, your police blotter isn't going to tell you about the crime rate across the country.
Don't much care about national crime rate. I pay attention to what effects me, directly. The local stuff. Like if there's been a burglary rash and such. Things I need to take extra precaution for. Up ticks in whatever crimes back East don't hold much influence over how I live my life, outside of maybe larger stories/incidents that have human interest.

As far as that goes, here , where I live, crime has been pretty steady, as to number of incidents. Serious crime is pretty rare, such as murder etc, outside of the more...run down..areas of Reno/Sparks metro.But, I don't live there either. We're pretty quiet, all in all, out here in the cow counties.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:26 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Never heard that one before. I've heard that Roe v Wade and the increase in abortions caused crime to go down, and of course that the 100 million more guns in the US caused crime rates to go down, and '3 strikes you're out' and other stricter punishment laws caused them to go down, that an aging population has caused the crime rate to drop, but never that removing leaded gas did.

Interesting.
How Lead Caused America's Violent Crime Epidemic - Forbes

Seems to be world wide.
Did removing lead from petrol spark a decline in crime? - BBC News

Could higher remaining concentrations of lead (pipes, paint, old gas stations etc) in older urban cities be a reason why those areas have much higher crime rates than rural areas?

Lead is still a huge issue in many inner cities today and it affects primarily black children.

I have known about lead poisoning and its affect on crime and IQ for a while and it something that is well known amongst academics but not the general public. I believe the decrease in lead is directly attributable to the decrease in crime and increase in positive educational outcomes for inner city children in the past 20-25 years.

More work needs to be done though in this regard. Too many parents still don't know about the dangers of lead in old homes. I currently live in a house built in 1892 and we are doing renovations room by room and I have a 6 year old and even though she is old enough where most medical professionals don't worry about lead poisoning, it is still a concern of mine and I get her lead tested every 6 months and if it increases, I will move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies