U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 07:47 AM

23,581 posts, read 17,574,904 times

Advertisements

As I've aged, I've noticed the major parties and their adherents becoming farther and farther apart. Positions have hardened, regardless of what you think of it. I used to be a moderate liberal, but became more conservative about eight years ago and began voting Republican almost exclusively during Obama's first election.

I now don't only see Democrats/liberals as political opponents, but as flat WRONG. Most are not just misguided, they're actively harming the country. To me, I've not moved that far to the right beyond where I was in 2008 - it's that the liberals have gone so far left I can't see them anymore!

Have you noticed your positions hardening against political opposition as time goes on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 07:57 AM

34,689 posts, read 33,695,295 times
I've moved past you. When Jack Kemp told conservatives to shut up and get in line and vote for McCain, I moved beyond being less tolerant of liberals but added being less tolerant of establishment Republicans and the Republican media that props them up.

Old 08-12-2015, 07:59 AM

12,289 posts, read 7,964,133 times
I'm plenty tollorent of the misinformed. You have to be when you live deep into the lions den.

Old 08-12-2015, 08:01 AM
Status: "Trump: Inept, Incompetent, Insecure" (set 5 days ago)

10,519 posts, read 6,207,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
As I've aged, I've noticed the major parties and their adherents becoming farther and farther apart. Positions have hardened, regardless of what you think of it. I used to be a moderate liberal, but became more conservative about eight years ago and began voting Republican almost exclusively during Obama's first election.

I now don't only see Democrats/liberals as political opponents, but as flat WRONG. Most are not just misguided, they're actively harming the country. To me, I've not moved that far to the right beyond where I was in 2008 - it's that the liberals have gone so far left I can't see them anymore!

Have you noticed your positions hardening against political opposition as time goes on?
You are, what, 29? (you said in another post that you were 28 last year, so simple math).

I am 60. You have always had those who were 'hardened' in their political positions; or, to put it another way, voiced displeasure with the other party's position, regardless of what it may be, or even whether it is a position that said party of the first part may have held just a few years ago.

Note that on political forums, such as this, one usually gets the hardheaded posting opinions aghast at what the 'other' party is doing. Such behavior is as old as the hills. Read "Pickwick Papers" by Charles Dickens, the chapter about the election in a small town, and of how the two parties deplored each other's position. Funny, and still accurate to this day.

Old 08-12-2015, 08:02 AM

14,298 posts, read 8,112,221 times
Our politicians in Washington are increasingly becoming corrupted. They no longer bother trying to ensure the welfare of the citizenry or the nation. More and more politicians are becoming crony corporatists, preferring to enrich themselves and their friends and cronies, and concentrate on getting themselves reelected.

When they are not using their power and position in government to make themselves wealthy, they use it to push they own personal agendas, loot the US Treasury to buy votes and reward their friends and punish their enemies.

Old 08-12-2015, 08:03 AM
Status: "Trump: Inept, Incompetent, Insecure" (set 5 days ago)

10,519 posts, read 6,207,431 times
Here is the paragraph from the Pickwick Papers I was referring to (from 1836):

"It appears, then, that the Eatanswill people, like the people of many other small towns, considered themselves of the utmost and most mighty importance, and that every man in Eatanswill, conscious of the weight that attached to his example, felt himself bound to unite, heart and soul, with one of the two great parties that divided the town the Blues and the Buffs. Now the Blues lost no opportunity of opposing the Buffs, and the Buffs lost no opportunity of opposing the Blues; and the consequence was, that whenever the Buffs and Blues met together at public meeting, town-hall, fair, or market, disputes and high words arose between them. With these dissensions it is almost superfluous to say that everything in Eatanswill was made a party question. If the Buffs proposed to new skylight the market-place, the Blues got up public meetings, and denounced the proceeding; if the Blues proposed the erection of an additional pump in the High Street, the Buffs rose as one man and stood aghast at the enormity. There were Blue shops and Buff shops, Blue inns and Buff inns there was a Blue aisle and a Buff aisle in the very church itself."

Old 08-12-2015, 08:15 AM

16,284 posts, read 9,116,742 times
I have always been a conservative.

What I see on the left are two groups. 1 are liberal people who are fighting for what they believe in, in the same give and take we have seen for a long time.

then there is new thing that has popped up. The aggressive Progressive-Activist. These people aren't simply fighting for what they believe in. They are fighting to destroy the actual real lives of those who don't agree with them. they seek to get people fired if they don't think/act right. They seek to stop debate/discussion from those that don't agree with them and they want to make everyone simply do as their told.

This second group is pure evil and need to be utterly kicked off the playing field.

Old 08-12-2015, 08:17 AM

24,803 posts, read 9,664,865 times
As a non-statist 99.9% of the population is my enemy.

When you're that outnumbered you have to learn to live with it.

Having said that...putting up with you megalomaniacs who vote and believe in a social contract is always a challenge.

Old 08-12-2015, 08:18 AM

35,260 posts, read 19,297,794 times
Lightbulb Are you becoming less and less tolerant of your political opponents?

I have no political opponents. I've never campaigned for public office. I'll go out on a limb here and speculate that this applies to the vast majority of posters on this forum.

Old 08-12-2015, 08:18 AM

12,289 posts, read 7,964,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
As a non-statist 99.9% of the population is my enemy.

When you're that outnumbered you have to learn to live with it.

Having said that...putting up with you megalomaniacs who vote and believe in a social contract is always a challenge.

Nothing worse than someone who feels a debt to society; a debt to society that they want to lay with someone else's money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or