Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 07:46 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
I can accept his criticism. He points out the same conformity is demanded of democrats.

rarely do I look at this "both sides are doing it" and agree... in fact I posted agaisnst such today.

fact is where the parties are concerned, we do seem to make demands of conformity over a number of issues.
You cannot be pro-life and win the democrat nomination
you cannot be pro-choice and win the republican nomination.
And regardless, Roe vs Wade will stand.

Presidents have no influence over amendments to the Constitution. Assuming a super majority of Congress bites, it would take 38 states to ratify. Good luck with that.

Early on in his campaign it seems many expected Romney to put pro life front and center. Despite being pro life he saw the topic as a distraction and preferred to lazer focus on the economy. I suspect some sat out the election because of this. They then spent the next 3 years blaming Obama for whatever ails them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 07:52 PM

15,632 posts, read 10,388,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
And regardless, Roe vs Wade will stand.

Presidents have no influence over amendments to the Constitution. Assuming a super majority of Congress bites, it would take 38 states to ratify. Good luck with that.

Early on in his campaign it seems many expected Romney to put pro life front and center. Despite being pro life he saw the topic as a distraction and preferred to lazer focus on the economy. I suspect some sat out the election because of this. They then spent the next 3 years blaming Obama for whatever ails them
agree with you, MAM.

Like far left Dems in the 70s, right wing Republicans are so far right that they prefer to lose and hand presidency to Dems like Obama rather than compromise and win with a republican like Romney.

Old 08-12-2015, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winning Guy View Post
Gotta agree with Cuban.

I'm not looking for a candidate that agrees with me on everything. I don't think they're "fake" because they disagree with me.

However, I am looking for someone that is consistent and principled throughout their career, or at least have a really good reason if they changed their mind. We may differ on a few issues, but if the candidate has the integrity and character to stick to his/her principles in the face of opposition, that is a huge plus.
Speaking of evolution..... Rachael Maddow ( I am not a fan) will have a special program tomorrow night ( Thursday). It's a compilation of film clips of Hillary, Jeb and the Donald over the years. No doubt, it will seek to portray Hillary above the fray and all that. Regardless, it should be an interesting watch going back to the 80's.

Old 08-12-2015, 08:02 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,147,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
The Republican Party is full of fanatics. Pretty soon there will be more Tea Party types than regular stand up Republicans.
We can only hope.

The "regular stand up Republicans" are corrupt establishment corporatists, the same as the stand up Democrats.

Old 08-12-2015, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
There are many Republicans out there who are not social conservatives. There is no requirement to be a social conservative in order to be a republican.

Anyway, I see much more socially conservative policies being actually put into practice by Democrats. Here in the Seattle area (virtually 100% liberal-controlled) the cops are constantly doing strip club raids, prostitution stings, etc.

The whole War on Tobacco, a liberal favorite...IS SOCIAL CONSERVATISM. Actual operation of social conservatism is maybe 100 times more likely to come from the left than from the right. What you find on the right is a lot of talk and little action. Pro-life groups have been around at least since the 1980's. Abortion is still legal.

It is simply unfashionable now to be a Republican among glitterati such as Cuban. I don't even bother to read what he wrote. He's just a gadfly.
The smoking issue is as non partisan as it gets.

Old 08-12-2015, 08:33 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,147,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Speaking of evolution..... Rachael Maddow ( I am not a fan) will have a special program tomorrow night ( Thursday). It's a compilation of film clips of Hillary, Jeb and the Donald over the years. No doubt, it will seek to portray Hillary above the fray and all that. Regardless, it should be an interesting watch going back to the 80's.
It will be interesting if Maddow shows clips of the “I am adamantly against illegal immigrants,” Hilary?

Will she show clips of the “...the fundamental bedrock principle that [marriage] exists between a man and a woman," Hilary?

Will she show clips of the Hilary who voted for the Iraq war resolution who went to the senate floor and said "I support this resolution as being in the best interests of our nation."

Will she show the “As president, I will not support driver’s licenses for undocumented people," Hilary?

etc...

Old 08-12-2015, 08:39 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
I've said before that the Republican Party has some good ideas, but when they open their mouths and talk social issues, it's more than I can stand.

And they've never met a potential war they didn't like. They're LITERALLY afraid of peace and avoid it at all costs.

Old 08-12-2015, 08:39 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,106,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Like far left Dems in the 70s, right wing Republicans are so far right that they prefer to lose and hand presidency to Dems like Obama rather than compromise and win with a republican like Romney.
I couldent have said it better

We need to ditch the purity contests and accept the fact that in order to win we are going to have to compromise on some of our positions and adopt a more tolerant position, especially on social issues and immigration/diversity/language/minority relations. Someone who is 100% conservative is not going to win ... period. Wouldent it be better to have someone you agree with on oh say 7 out of 10 issues over someone who is a flaming liberal and agree with on absolutely nothing?

Old 08-12-2015, 09:08 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,132,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
We can only hope.

The "regular stand up Republicans" are corrupt establishment corporatists, the same as the stand up Democrats.
We can only hope, hope that the Tea Party gets nowhere near the executive office.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:11 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,735,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I've said before that the Republican Party has some good ideas, but when they open their mouths and talk social issues, it's more than I can stand.

And they've never met a potential war they didn't like. They're LITERALLY afraid of peace and avoid it at all costs.
Agreed. Though most of those good ideas Republicans talk about - they rarely implement into policy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies