U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2015, 05:32 PM

2,233 posts, read 1,503,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuddingPops View Post
According to liberals, I guess it's off limits to say anything bad about the guy now because he has terminal cancer. Good lord, we should all be so lucky to live to 90 with good health. As far as I know, he hasn't had any major health issues until now. I think if I was 90 and my doctors told me I had a year to live, I would say, fair enough.

None of it changes that fact that he was not a very good leader, and a terrible president. Probably a nice person, and maybe nice to have a beer with (or his brother), but bad president. The way he handled the Iranian hostage crisis was absolutely pathetic. Probably the worst president in the history of this country until Obama.
1978 and 1977, the best two years for job growth this nation has ever seen. George W. would have loved to have had job numbers like that.

Edit: 1978 and 1977
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 05:35 PM

12,639 posts, read 7,292,698 times
So, OP is using Carter's cancer to demonize people who disagree with him. What else is new from the unhinged left?

Old 08-20-2015, 05:35 PM

5,113 posts, read 4,938,655 times
Compared to Obama ... Jimmy rocks

Old 08-20-2015, 05:39 PM

10,136 posts, read 6,463,199 times
I remember Carter's years and he definitely was not a great American leader. Far from it. One of the worst Presidents in my time.

Old 08-20-2015, 05:41 PM

15,839 posts, read 9,998,674 times
What was so horrible about the Carter years?
- no US wars
- economy was good - US rebounded quicker than most from the global 1980 recession
- Camp David Accords - lasting peace between Israel and Egypt
- ambitious (overly ambitious) plan to rescue the hostages failed due to equipment failure, but he followed up with...
- negotiated the release of the US hostages in Iran

Old 08-20-2015, 05:47 PM

32,707 posts, read 13,820,479 times
He is one of the respected representatives the US has ever had, tremendous amount of knowledge in the ME. The Carter Center's work on Guinea Worm, River Blindness and other diseases have been extremely successful.

He has always worked towards peace rather than war, he will be missed.

Old 08-20-2015, 05:57 PM

7,170 posts, read 6,447,346 times
Carters failures would have been worse if Reagan didn't get elected to scare the s##t out of Iran and the Russians.I hope Carter survives the usless chemo and is resting well.

Old 08-20-2015, 05:59 PM

998 posts, read 545,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
What was so horrible about the Carter years?
- no US wars
- economy was good - US rebounded quicker than most from the global 1980 recession
- Camp David Accords - lasting peace between Israel and Egypt
- ambitious (overly ambitious) plan to rescue the hostages failed due to equipment failure, but he followed up with...
- negotiated the release of the US hostages in Iran
They released the hostages the exact day that Ronald Reagan took office. Why? Because Carter couldn't do anything... he was a weak president and a terrible negotiator. There are really so many parallels between him and Obama. Both are weak men who are some of the worst negotiators in the world and made many bad deals for the US. And of course, just atrocious deals with Iran. In both cases, Iran laughed at the US and our incompetent leaders.

The good news is, after having a weak, ineffectual liberal president like Carter or Obama, the American voters tend to realize their mistake (to some extent) and elect a true leader like Reagan or Trump to take command. It's the same way that bell bottomed jeans come back every 20 years or so. Each generation just can't help themselves and make the same mistakes... whether it be fashion or liberals like Carter and Obama.

Old 08-20-2015, 06:00 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,826,625 times
Is it really fair to start singing the praises of a presidency that was awful when the person is ill and no one wants to say anything bad about him.

I voted for Jimmy Carter but his presidency was out of control in welfare fraud. We are having about the same thing all over again right now. His policies destroyed our neighborhood in Charlotte by putting criminals in our area and paying for their housing. Just about every family in our neighborhood had been robbed at least once. When we finally sold our house at about a $9,000 loss and moved there had been 7 murders committed in our area in the past year in what had been a very nice and safe middle class neighborhood.

People were driving expensive cars to the grocery store and buying groceries with food stamps just like they are doing now.

His presidency was probably one of the biggest factors in turning me into a Republican. The person who is having trouble making ends meet should not be that person working more than 40 hours a week because they are paying for themselves and everybody else. We have been married more than 50 years but the most difficult time in our lives together were the Carter years. Good man but bad policies in government.

I told my husband about a year ago that I felt something was wrong with him when he made some off the wall statement about people not voting for someone or something as being racist. I can't remember exactly what he was talking about but the statement he made was crazy. We both looked at each other and just shook our heads. My husband said that he needs to stop talking politics if that is all he can say.

Last edited by NCN; 08-20-2015 at 06:13 PM..

Old 08-20-2015, 06:16 PM

7,181 posts, read 11,197,686 times
I think Carter is one of the best FORMER presidents this country has had. He has done wonderful things since leaving the White House. Really found his niche in life.

I wish him the best with his health issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies