U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 11:44 PM

22,436 posts, read 10,385,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compression View Post
A good example of how truly wonderful people won't necessarily make a good president.

No big fan of his, however.......

His pre presidential career shows he was a patriot.

His post presidential activities prove he was a truly generous and humanitarian man, that shows his convictions as president were at least honest. More than can be said for many in elective politics on both sides and in between the party aisles today.

I wish him the best for the future.

CN.......
Very similar to my thoughts.

Probably the best ex-president we ever had.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 01:54 AM

2,057 posts, read 1,120,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
The attempt to rescue the 57 American hostages held in the Former American embassy wasn't so audacious. Just 4 years earlier Israeli commandos flew nonstop from Israel a distance of 1500 miles to Uganda a nation run by a hostile government to rescue Israeli and Jewish hostages from an Air France flight originating in Tel Aviv with a stop at Athens Greece enroute to Paris . The hostages (over 100 people) were held at a military air field by Palestinian terrorists and guarded by the Ugandan army. The hostages had been held for several weeks and the hijakers threatened to kill all of them unless their demands for the release of 1500 Palestinians held in Israeli detention were not met. In the early hours of July 4, 1976 the Israeli commandos landed at Entebbe, secured the airport, killed or neutralized the Ugandan military, destroyed the half a dozen Mig 17s that comprised the Ugandan airforce, secured the terminal killing all the Palestinians and Ugandan soldiers found there. Rescued virtually all of the hostages, only 2 were killed in the cross fire. then flew them out to Nairobi Kenya where a El Al special flight was standing by to take them back to Israel. Only one Israeli soldier was moratally wounded , the missions commander Col Yonathan Netanyahu (Bibis older brother) . Two years later German commandos tried to rescue the passengers of a hijacked German flight and succeeded in their mission in Mogadishu Spmalia. So knowing this the attempt to go into Teheran a city that the USA and its military had a lot knowledge given the large amount of military aid we gave the Shah was feasible.

It was not a military battle since not a single shot was fired. The mission was disrupted by something the Pentagon should have planned for a Haboob (Dust Storm) . The dust destroyed the engines of two out of the five helicopters and when it became apparent they didn't have enough copters to do the extraction they tried to get the remaining copters and the two C-130s out of the Desert 1 base set up a few hours earlier to do the extraction. Chaos ensued and a helicopter and a C130 collided and went up in flames killing about half of the commandos. If anyone is to blame for this tragic fiasco it is the Pentagon for it did a poor job of planning, training, intelligence and mission execution. These were all the responsibility of the US military its commanders especially Col Beckwith (The onsite CO) not the White House who has to rely on professional conduct by our military. The US military punted this one. The next morning President Carter reported the failure of this "secret " mission and accepted full responsibilty. Desert 1 which happended in April 1980 pretty much put paid to the Carter Administration.

Fortunately the US military learned from its mistakes. Our choppers can fly in dusty skies and during the wee hours of a morning some 40 years later. The US military flew into a much better armed nation Pakistan right up it its Capital to a compound next to its military academy . Took the compound and killed Osama Bin Laden. They lost one of their choppers but th mission plan accounted for that.
You are kinda correct ... however ... the commander on the ground was not allowed to call the shots. The peanut did that from the other side of the world. We will never know what could have happened if the people who were actually there were allowed to do what they were supposed to do. I place the blame on the Peanut. By the way, I wonder what Amy had to say about it.

El Nox

Old 08-13-2015, 02:38 AM

5,882 posts, read 2,732,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
It's a shame that a life of such service is finally coming to an end, and I'm very sorry to hear the man has cancer, but I don't know how many of these "oh, he was such a wonderful human being" posts I can read without throwing up a little in my mouth. He was not a nice man at all - he was just very good at acting like one, at least in public.

I'm not here to dance on the man's grave, but let's call it what it is. He's a man who literally dedicated his entire life to serving his country and his fellow human beings to the best of his ability, and that's no small thing. That's something worthy of a great deal of respect, and I do respect him greatly for that service and that dedication. But why can't we respect the man and his service without clinging to fairy tales about what a nice man he was?

The true measure of how nice a person is is how they treat people they don't have to be nice to, and Carter scored an F- on that test. It's no secret anymore that when he was President, he treated the "little people" in the White House like crap. The Secret Service agents who put their lives on the line to protect him and his family were not allowed to even speak to him without being spoken to first - not even so much as a "good morning, Mr. President" as he passed them on his way into his office at 5 AM to pretend he was working hard while he took his daily nap. In fact, they were not supposed to even look at him. Many of them guarded him personally for years and never exchanged a word with him; he never said as much as a "Hello, how are you?" as they opened the doors for him or drove him back and forth. They didn't count, in his eyes.

So, no, he was not a nice man at all. Great humanitarian? Maybe; you could at least make that argument. Ethical? Perhaps, unless you count him carrying an empty suitcase to pretend he was carrying his own luggage while the Secret Service actually carried the heavy bags as a lie. Great President? Forget it; there's no point in even trying to have a serious conversation on that one.

But... he was a man who spent his entire lifetime trying, to the best of his ability, to make his country and his world a better place. Unfortunately, the "best of his abilities" was mostly limited to swinging a hammer building houses for the poor, but that wasn't his fault. I'm sure he'd have been a more able man if he had known how; it's not his fault that he wasn't.

But he tried. He really did try, a lot harder than most Americans have over the course of my lifetime. You don't have to be a nice person in order for that to count for a hell of a lot. He did the best he could, and would certainly have done better if he had had the ability to do so. I wish I could say the same about our current President; with his ability, he could be ten times the President Carter was, instead of the man who actually made Carter look good again in the eyes of some people. Take Jimmy Carter's dedication and good intentions, and pair it up with Barack Obama's intellect and abilities, and you'd have one of the greatest presidents in history. Too bad it doesn't work that way.

Go in peace, President Carter. Thank you for your service, and for what you at least tried to accomplish. I don't expect to ever see the likes of that again in my lifetime.
Dang! The man has Cancer! He isn't dead yet! as a Ex-President I bet he will get the best healthcare most Americans will never get.
Otherwise best wishes President Carter.

Old 08-13-2015, 03:10 AM

6,507 posts, read 7,452,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Jimmy is a good man who I disagree with politically. I wish him the best.

This is my feeling about the man as well. Overall he has been a great ex president, lots of causes helped by him. Habitat for humanity being the biggest, so many people got to be homeowners because of that organization he supports. Cancer sucks and I truly hope he recovers.

Old 08-13-2015, 06:55 AM

1,603 posts, read 890,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Dang! The man has Cancer! He isn't dead yet! as a Ex-President I bet he will get the best healthcare most Americans will never get.
He probably has Medicare.

Not joking.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:20 AM

3,829 posts, read 2,789,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
The only President who didn't start or engage in a war.

Instead, he sat on his hands while Americans were held hostage in Iran.

Jimmy Carter is also an anti-semite.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:04 AM

12,639 posts, read 7,310,823 times
Carter did give us eight glorious years of President Reagan, so I appreciate that about him.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:08 AM

11,638 posts, read 5,925,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post

Maybe he didn't want to negotiate with terrorists.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:09 AM

11,638 posts, read 5,925,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
He'll be allopatheticized.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:14 AM

12,004 posts, read 16,753,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post

Jimmy Carter is far from an anti-semite, but let me guess - you've never actually read anything he's written on Israel, have you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies