Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 07:13 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I LOVE my HOA.

Bc most people aren't very considerate in general. They are less so concerning their *domain*.

Keeps things peaceful, pretty, and nice.
After living in unrestricted neighborhoods where people are free to park on their lawns, collect junk cars and park boats on trailers on the side of the house, I wanted to be somewhere with rules. I eventually did not like some of the really stupid rules about edging your lawn perfectly, etc., but I loved that people could not put whatever crap they wanted in their yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 07:15 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post

Not all HOAs will let you read the bylaws before purchasing the home.
The seller has access to all the information, all the time. The listing agent should obtain copies of all relevant documentation before listing. Some do and some do not.

In my neck of the woods HOAs are increasingly posting the governing documents and rules online. Mileage varies.

Old 08-12-2015, 07:27 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Not all HOAs will let you read the bylaws before purchasing the home. Even good HOAs can change to bad HOAs depending on the people who get on the board. Some get this power trip and use their authority to harass neighbors they don't like. If the neighbor isn't in violation, they'll write up new regulations and declare them in violation. They know their neighbors work schedule so they can schedule meetings when they know that neighbor is stuck at work. Instead of being polite and speaking WITH the neighbor about an infraction, they go straight to threats and warnings of fines or foreclosure on their home. Sure, I have neighbors with bad homes and yards. I don't have to live in their home or yard so I don't let it bother me. My home is neat and clean. I keep up my yard as best I can depending on weather (heavy rains make soft soil and fast growth here). If the neighbors are committing illegal acts or are in violation of city ordinances then let the city deal with them. Not worth starting a war with the neighbors over. I've seen some homes painted strange colors. Don't care! This particular home is painted in shades of purple. It's also the best maintained home and yard in the neighborhood where it's located and is landscaped with bushes and flowers the owner planted themselves. Though I don't like the color, I like the people and how they maintain their home. Screw HOA Nazis. I'll stay away from HOAs and enjoy the garden of life, both the flowers and the weeds.
Not sure if you mean the deed restrictions and covenants (which are for the residents) or bylaws (which govern the association), but you are always allowed to read them. The bylaws may be online the county's public website, and any decent realtor will provide you with the deed restrictions before you buy (these are also sometimes online the county websites).

These are not secret documents at all. Nobody should buy in a deed restricted neighborhood without reading the restrictions and seeing what they are getting into.

Old 08-12-2015, 07:30 PM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Purple playground poses problem for Lee's Summit family | Local News - KMBC Home

so this family is facing jail time for a playground set that none of their neighbors that can actually SEE the thing are bothered by...

seriously people HOA are evil. If you live in one, you should get elected to the board then disband them.
I guess it depends. Are the other neighborhoods old or run down, in a 100 year flood plain, is the crime rate high, are they too expensive, or only two bedrooms, or are they too far from work?

Old 08-12-2015, 07:31 PM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
So I'll assume you live free and do whatever you want whenever you want?

Listen, we all live within certain parameters that our society has constructed to ensure order. Lawlessness and untamed frontier gave way to comfort and predictability. Does every aspect of society work well? No, but it works well enough to keep things together.
What on earth are you going on about? HOA's are responsible for taming the Wild West?
lol

Old 08-12-2015, 07:35 PM

2,055 posts, read 1,447,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
seriously people HOA are evil. If you live in one, you should get elected to the board then disband them.
Haven't read the posts, just this one.

I am a past president of the board of my own HOA. Your solution is simplistic and unworkable. Our HOA is part of a deed restriction. Making the HOA is impossible. However, I recommend people run for the board so that some adult leadership can keep this crap from happening.

El Nox

Old 08-12-2015, 07:36 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,129,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
What on earth are you going on about? HOA's are responsible for taming the Wild West?
lol
I was responding to the bolded. Regardless of what you believe I'm pretty sure you follow rules too. All of them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Because most people are conditioned to be told what to do...see government school and the military for further examples

Old 08-12-2015, 07:37 PM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
I was responding to the bolded. Regardless of what you believe I'm pretty sure you follow rules too. All of them...

With nonsense

Old 08-12-2015, 08:11 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,765,810 times
It's a matter of preference. I've got no problem with HOA's... so long as they apply to YOUR house and not mine.

I AM that neighbor with a ****ty yard and a rusty pickup parked out front. You couldn't pay me to water my yard- that's ridiculous! Only a crazy person would water their lawn just so they can mow it more often. And what's wrong with dandelions and crab grass? It's green. The lawnmower mows it. As far as I'm concerned that means it's grass. My next door neighbor is out there all the time... watering, mowing, fertilizing... he probably hates me You'd think he'd have something better to do with his time.

When the Supreme Commandress and I went searching for a home to infest, we both agreed one point: no HOA. Because I'm not a busy-body who worries about what the neighbors do. And I already have enough people in my life telling me what to do... I don't care to buy more of them.

But HOA's are great. For other people.

Old 08-12-2015, 08:24 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,257,141 times
I could write a book on the topic of neighbors and the HOA. It.s like having HR in your neighborhood. You must kiss the ring. And God forbid you have a problem with a neighbor, they either take favor or are completely inept and will tell you it.s a police matter. Pay the fees, kiss the ring, keep your property looking sharp, and you still will get a letter stating that ..."the number 3 of your address lettering is missing a small piece and to fix it ASAP or be present at the next board meeting"... and pay the $30 fine. My heart skips a beat just thinking about those days!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies