U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2015, 08:32 PM

624 posts, read 300,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I don't think women choose to have abortions after viability except when the fetus is grossly abnormal, or when actually giving birth poses a threat to a woman's life. And in those circumstances, I think the woman has probably consulted extensively with her doctor to determine the best course. You questioning her choice isn't about her, it's about YOUR agenda, and it only adds to her pain. These women are actually people, too, with hearts and consciences, women who wanted a baby, and who found themselves in extreme circumstances being asked to make impossible decisions. Can you imagine things from their perspective? Is your ability to empathize so limited?
Why do you find it so offensive to question, "why" before killing someone?

Old 08-13-2015, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Money doesn't end up being an issue for the people outside the family.

For the people in debt, I would think money is a very prominent issue in their lives.
So you're putting a price on human life.

Do any of your rationalizations change when the baby is born?

Old 08-13-2015, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Born at 23 weeks. Less than 1% of abortions are performed past 21 weeks.
What is your cut-off? Anything past fertilization is murder?
Do you have a cut off? Should abortions be banned past 20 weeks unless the mother's life is at risk?

Old 08-13-2015, 08:43 PM

10,983 posts, read 6,126,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
That is a terrible thing to go through. But why is her abortion ok and others are not? Just the reasoning behind it? Many women have abortions for similar reasons.
Ask Mr. "No abortions ever even to save the life of the mother" Rick Santorum that same question. According to him, under no circumstances should abortion ever be allowed...unless we're talking about his wife. That, of course, was different...

The same way the poster you are responding to made excuses that her granddaughter was different from all those other women who were there for the same procedure. She assumes that no one but her granddaughter had a "good reason," when in reality, she has absolutely no idea of the life circumstances of anyone else there that day.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Does the OP know that 90% of all abortions happens within the first 12 weeks?
Do you support a ban on abortions after 12 weeks unless the mother's life is in danger?

How about 15 weeks?

20 weeks?

22?

Old 08-13-2015, 08:48 PM

13,845 posts, read 14,677,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winning Guy View Post
Do you support a ban on abortions after 12 weeks unless the mother's life is in danger?

How about 15 weeks?

20 weeks?

22?
the regulations we have now are fine. when and if viability changes perhaps so will the regulations.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
the regulations we have now are fine. when and if viability changes perhaps so will the regulations.
So do you oppose abortions after viability?

If due to a medical breakthrough, viability was determined to be 10 weeks, would that be acceptable to you?

So if it's not a matter of being alive, but instead about viability, then isn't the process of abortion once the baby hits the fetus stage really about a race to murder him/her before he/she reaches the point where he/she can be saved?

Old 08-13-2015, 09:09 PM

13,845 posts, read 14,677,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winning Guy View Post
So do you oppose abortions after viability?

If due to a medical breakthrough, viability was determined to be 10 weeks, would that be acceptable to you?

So if it's not a matter of being alive, but instead about viability, then isn't the process of abortion once the baby hits the fetus stage really about a race to murder him/her before he/she reaches the point where he/she can be saved?

such dramatic words you like to use. get a dictionary. abortion is not murder.

viability at ten weeks will never happen not in anyone's life time that is alive today, most likely never. try living in reality with your questions.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:17 PM

783 posts, read 537,857 times
Quote:
The majority of women seeking abortions are single mothers, in their 20's. Do you think they have thousands of dollars at their disposal?

I'm very happy that you have a healthy child that you wanted, and that you can now cherish.

But YOUR reality isn't everyone else's reality. For many women, an unwanted pregnancy can mean financial ruin. It can mean ending up homeless, for themselves and the children they already have. These women aren't being selfish thinking of themselves. Who else is going to think of them? You? And what of the others who blame them for having abortions, and then blame them for not having abortions and being "welfare queens". They have every right to consider the impact an unwanted pregnancy is going to have on their lives, and for taking the action that's right for them.
i am all for women thinking about themselves, i am one. but if their self care is a priority, then why not take that responsibility for their sexual choice by using birth control or if that fails, the morning after pill? or if all that fails, facing up to the pregnancy and if an abortion has to be done doing it at less than six weeks? or if you dont want to deal with the risk of pregnancy, how about just saying no to sex? i am pro choice and have no moral hangup about sex whatsoever, but with the choices a woman has today to control pregnancy, it should be a rare, last choice. and never in mid term unless the mother is faced with a serious health risk (and my heart goes out to those women). and if it is all about rights, then the taxpayers who dont agree with abortion, particularly later term, should also have the choice to do what is right for them by not subsidizing it with their taxes. the tone of your response is as if the woman just turns up pregnant by bad luck and has no control in the matter. except in the cases of rape, the woman has complete control.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:22 PM

27,171 posts, read 29,714,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
A friend of ours had a preemie at 25 weeks, and though he's had medical issues, he's a happy little baby boy.

The more advances there are in medical science, the earlier we're going to be able to save premature babies.
I was a 26 week preemie. I was 2.5 pounds. Turned out fine, after spending 3 months in the ICU. I am also in my 30s, and obviously medicine has improved.

It is complicated to determine which preemie will make it, there is no blanket statement on who will thrive and who won't. But that decision is best made by the parents and their doctors. Not the government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies