Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 09:28 AM

20,459 posts, read 12,379,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I don't believe it's an odd argument at all. I think it's rational. I believe that women are moral, responsible and intelligent. I believe that only a catastrophic change of circumstances would make a woman who's been pregnant for 6 months consider an abortion. I believe that when people who have no information about this woman, and who have their own agenda, try to pass judgment on this woman, that they are adding pain to what is already the most painful experience of this woman's life. And I cannot be a part of that.

I'm not pro-abortion. I'm pro-women.
we have very different ideas on what the word 'rational' means

if one says both that "there is a point of no return" and "the pregnant woman is the only one who can decide" at the same time, one is of two minds.

There is a wonderful quote from an ancient book of wisdom

A double minded man is unstable in all his ways.

PS you can spin the language any way you want. its pro-abortion. period.

half the babies aborted are girls. you cannot be pro-woman and be happy about the deaths of 500,000 girls every single year.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:30 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
A YEAR in a neonatal intensive care unit. How much did that cost?
of course you have a good point and many of us don't know when to say, enough is enough, but if the baby ends up being a normal child, the money suddenly doesn't seem to be an issue. Of course I am pro life, with rare exceptions, and I certainly think when a child is born alive, unless they have severe abnomalities everything should be done to save their lives. I delivered 2 premies, many years ago: both died within a day or so. If it were today, both would have survived I am sure. Would they have been normal, and healthy? No one can answer that, our little girl, probably not. Our little boy, probably. I would have wanted all attemps made to save them unless I knew their lives would not have been normal.

I still am not sure, measuring the saving of the baby's life by money is something many would consider.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:30 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winning Guy View Post
So when a woman chooses to kill that baby after he/she is viable, then isn't that the same thing as murder ( without the legal protection) unless it's to save her own life?

Shouldn't we question the reason someone would choose to kill a viable baby?

If not, why do we care once the baby is born? Is the legal issue the only difference?
I don't think women choose to have abortions after viability except when the fetus is grossly abnormal, or when actually giving birth poses a threat to a woman's life. And in those circumstances, I think the woman has probably consulted extensively with her doctor to determine the best course. You questioning her choice isn't about her, it's about YOUR agenda, and it only adds to her pain. These women are actually people, too, with hearts and consciences, women who wanted a baby, and who found themselves in extreme circumstances being asked to make impossible decisions. Can you imagine things from their perspective? Is your ability to empathize so limited?

Old 08-13-2015, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
we have very different ideas on what the word 'rational' means

if one says both that "there is a point of no return" and "the pregnant woman is the only one who can decide" at the same time, one is of two minds.

There is a wonderful quote from an ancient book of wisdom

A double minded man is unstable in all his ways.

PS you can spin the language any way you want. its pro-abortion. period.

half the babies aborted are girls. you cannot be pro-woman and be happy about the deaths of 500,000 girls every single year.
I can live with a world without absolutes.

Pro-women. I don't advocate for abortion. I argue that it's up to the woman, because she's a moral, responsible, intelligent being capable of making decisions for herself.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:32 AM

1,603 posts, read 1,113,364 times
Quote:
I'm well aware of the concept of deductibles and co-pay.

MY policy, purchased through the ACA, costs less and has a $500 deductible, and preventive care comes with no co-pay. And it was cheaper than the policy I had before.

Why don't you familiarize yourself with the concept of "denial due to pre-existing conditions"?
That falls under, "not my problem" as I keep myself in good health and am now being punished for it.

I am paying extra for people who take crappy care of themselves.

Obesity, type 2 diabetes, and hypertension (the vast bulk of our expenses) are all lifestyle diseases.

My policy was killed by the ACA (it's UR rate was too high, meaning it was too good) so I had to go on the individual market where I pay more for less.

Yay?

Quote:
It's society saying that they place so much value on pregnancy and babies that society will foot the bill. The woman is already taking the risk of her health, she's already taking a financial hit with lost work hours and with the lost pay that will affect her whole life, even her retirement in the end. If it's so important to you that women don't have abortions, then make going through with the pregnancy the best choice.
or they could I don't know...take responsibility?

I swear to God, how did anyone survive pre welfare state? Must have been mountains of corpses everywhere.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
of course you have a good point and many of us don't know when to say, enough is enough, but if the baby ends up being a normal child, the money suddenly doesn't seem to be an issue. Of course I am pro life, with rare exceptions, and I certainly think when a child is born alive, unless they have severe abnomalities everything should be done to save their lives. I delivered 2 premies, many years ago: both died within a day or so. If it were today, both would have survived I am sure. Would they have been normal, and healthy? No one can answer that, our little girl, probably not. Our little boy, probably. I would have wanted all attemps made to save them unless I knew their lives would not have been normal.

I still am not sure, measuring the saving of the baby's life by money is something many would consider.
Money doesn't end up being an issue for the people outside the family.

For the people in debt, I would think money is a very prominent issue in their lives.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:33 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,735,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I'd laugh at the feigned concern of conservatives for life when it so obviously ends beyond the fetal stage if it wasn't so damn hypocritical.
They have no problem sending an 18 year old into a warzone.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veneficus View Post
T

I swear to God, how did anyone survive pre welfare state? Must have been mountains of corpses everywhere.
Well there were certainly still abortions pre-welfare state. And then there were the corpses of young women who went to back-alley butchers to get abortions. But I'm sure you think that getting butchered was their responsibility, because they dared to think of themselves and wanted an abortion.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:36 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,735,346 times
Quote:
I can live with a world without absolutes.

Pro-women. I don't advocate for abortion. I argue that it's up to the woman, because she's a moral, responsible, intelligent being capable of making decisions for herself.
Obviously the woman is not if she is having unprotected sex when a newborn is not desired.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:36 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
Blob of tissue.

My body. My choice.

Womens rights.
A beating heart is a blob of tissue? What science book did that come from and at what stage does that, so called blobe of tissue become a human being? Do you consider murder acceptable and how do you feel about the death penalty?

When I see someone call a baby a blob of tissue, I actually almost get sick to my stomach. Womens' rights, yes, blob of tissue, it is more than that. I would not turn my back on a friend or family member who choose abortion, but I would it they were calloused enough to make a statement that it was just a blob!!!! Maybe you think all old people who have mind problems should have their life ended or people who are handicapped and depend on others are just a thing and shouldn't be able to live!!!!!!

Now, I may be reading your response wrong and you may not be saying it is ok, if I am, then to others: . I will ask you these quesions.

BTW, I am not responding to those who do take this seriously and do put thought into their decision, but I am referring to those who insist: it is just a blob of tissue, like so many say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies