U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-15-2015, 06:22 PM
 
2,870 posts, read 1,658,784 times
Reputation: 1933

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
So the ideal that a person demonstrates symptoms of being a racist is "silly" and you think the flaw in his reasoning is simply that he fails to understand that black people are just "Different"? WTF If I may ask, does this "difference" manifest in blacks being more violent than whites? I will not call you a racist....but here is the definition: See if your glove fits


racism

noun
1.
a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human racial groups determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to dominate others or that a particular racial group is inferior to the others.
2.
a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
3.
hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.
The term, "racist," was invented to be a shaming word which could be used to silence debate and browbeat those of an opposing viewpoint. I see that you have taken the original purpose of the word to heart.

Notice how the definition of racism has been modified throughout the years. It once meant hatred for another race. Now it means acknowledging racial differences. It's still used in the same way though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-15-2015, 07:10 PM
 
9,948 posts, read 6,863,654 times
Reputation: 4220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
The term, "racist," was invented to be a shaming word which could be used to silence debate and browbeat those of an opposing viewpoint. I see that you have taken the original purpose of the word to heart.

Notice how the definition of racism has been modified throughout the years. It once meant hatred for another race. Now it means acknowledging racial differences. It's still used in the same way though.
Show me the data....the chronology of the term "racist" and "Racism". I am sure you can present a scholarly argument, with supporting evidence.....if what you say is true and if you are intelligent (or are you just another Bill O). Lets see if you can do that. I doubt it....because its just made up BS so that you can avoid the moral injury. That is the REAL problem in America. Too many whites do not even know what racism means (selective amnesia). I guess racism is different from white supremacy in your mind. Being a white supremacist (believing that inherent differences makes whites superior to blacks) is not the same as being a racist unless you HATE a black person. Think about what you just reasoned. A person saying "Blacks are inferior to whites"....is not racism....only a person saying "I hate blacks" is racism. That is so silly that I am inclined to believe that YOU actually wrote it.

All this ignorance.....couple with power and influence to impact others lives.....IS AND HAS BEEN THE PROBLEM FOR CENTURIES. Prejudice and/with power. That is what has created this quagmire for blacks in America....white power and prejudice....since day one.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 08-15-2015 at 07:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2015, 08:28 PM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
27,145 posts, read 29,572,530 times
Reputation: 26612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
Correct. They have mostly Asians as part of their "visible minorities" and not too many Blacks. And it creates this weird phenomenon among Canadians, where they see minorities (meaning Asians) doing well in their society and then they look to the US and wonder why there are so many problems, as if all minorities were just the same.
Black people in Canada are really concentrated. Mostly in Toronto. But Canada doesn't have many people of color. Asians are concentrated in British Columbia.

What Canada does that we don't, is give its citizens a base standard of living that includes health care and education. When you don't have to worry about the basic standard of living, you have the mental space to thrive.

And let's stop claiming Asians are doing well cross the board.
Census data mask poverty suffered by some Asian American groups - latimes

We ignore the plight of poor asians because it doesn't fit in our stereotypes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2015, 08:37 PM
 
2,870 posts, read 1,658,784 times
Reputation: 1933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Show me the data....the chronology of the term "racist" and "Racism". I am sure you can present a scholarly argument, with supporting evidence.....if what you say is true and if you are intelligent (or are you just another Bill O). Lets see if you can do that. I doubt it....because its just made up BS so that you can avoid the moral injury. That is the REAL problem in America. Too many whites do not even know what racism means (selective amnesia). I guess racism is different from white supremacy in your mind. Being a white supremacist (believing that inherent differences makes whites superior to blacks) is not the same as being a racist unless you HATE a black person. Think about what you just reasoned. A person saying "Blacks are inferior to whites"....is not racism....only a person saying "I hate blacks" is racism. That is so silly that I am inclined to believe that YOU actually wrote it.

All this ignorance.....couple with power and influence to impact others lives.....IS AND HAS BEEN THE PROBLEM FOR CENTURIES. Prejudice and/with power. That is what has created this quagmire for blacks in America....white power and prejudice....since day one.
"Racism" was first used in the early 1900s as a synonym for racialist, but its usage at that time was just a one off event as it wasn't seen again until the 1930s when it was used as the title of a book by Magnus Hirschfeld. It didn't reach popular usage until the 1960s and 1970s and it was always used as a pejorative. Someone wouldn't claim to be a racist the same way that he might say he was a pianist. It was used as an insult. Many attribute the use of the term as an insult to Leon Trotsky.

You can see in the Oxford dictionary the original meaning of the term:

Quote:
Definition of racism in English:
noun

1 Prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one’s own race is superior:
racism: definition of racism in Oxford dictionary (American English) (US)

So yes, the term racism was and still is usually tied to hostility towards other races. Recognizing racial differences is the lesser definition for the word, but some dictionaries have moved to making that the primary definition.

The truth is that people from different parts of the world differ both physically and mentally from one another. Since we are not all clones this should be expected by anyone who isn't ignorant of biology or basic statistics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2015, 09:05 PM
 
15,334 posts, read 7,834,593 times
Reputation: 7954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
What is black folks reality besid3s getting gunned down by the police when they ar3nt getting passed over for whitey in all the jobs they apply for?
Black American's reality day to day is going to work and taking care of our families. That's it. Very few of us are gunned down by criminals or police, but wanting to ensure that police especially don't gun us down is a valid cause if it is occuring too much in one's city/municipality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
well here is a great place for you to explain the reality African Americans focus on.

I for one am genuinely interested.
See above. We live boring American lives, just like you do. Work, family, watching TV, posting on forums, etc. Regular boring, everyday stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
50 years after Watts: 'There is still a crisis in the black community' - LA Times

Why? It's ok for the LAT to use black community but not me? Why's that tiger?
Because the LA Times is speaking of Watts and not all black people in the United States of America. I am black and have never been to LA or to Watts. They are not my "community."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
Black people are just different. They are different with regards to behavior, sense of aesthetics, crime rates and pretty much any other measure that can we can use. Those differences are the source of of racial problems in America. That difference will not go away any time soon.
Black people aren't any different than any other people in this country. And IMO, you are showing your bias and inferior view you have of blacks in this country. Over 90% of black people have never been involved with crime. I don't understand your "sense of aesthetics" comment being that black Americans basically created American culture and aesthetics. We have a hand in every American art genre and in cuisine and basically everything that is American. We are quintessential Americans. You have mentioned you are Asian American. IMO, you are much more "different" than us since we have longer roots in this country and more of a connection to American culture.

On the OP, I could not watch the video because it wouldn't play for some reason. But I am assuming from the conversation that this is once again about OOW births. I will ask the same questions that I asked in another thread today about this as Bill O'Reilley and those of you who like him, ascribe to the ideology of black inferiority never can give an answer:

Black educational achievement has grown in the past 30 years and is higher than ever. This increase coincides with the increases in OOW births. If OOW births are so bad, why has black educational statistics improved?

Crime rates over the past 30 years have risen to the lowest level since the 1970s. In the 1970s about 50% of blacks were born OOW. Today over 70% are born OOW. If OOW birthrates are closely related to crime rates, why have crime rates decreased in black Americans from 1970 to 2015?

OOW birth is not a direct correlation to any of those statistics. If that were the case, blacks, since we are the most affected by OOW births would have worse statistics than we did in the 1970s. Whites and hispanics would also have worse statistics since their OOW birthrates have grown, yet their educational achievement and crime rates have not been negatively affected either.

In summation, Bill O'Reiley and those of you agreeing with him adhere to the idea that blacks are inferior to you. You are seeking to use statistics to prove this, but other statistics prove your assumptions false and you just won't accept them as false because of your biased views of black people as an ethnicity and you thinking that we are "different" and less than you as people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2015, 09:14 PM
 
10,517 posts, read 3,961,309 times
Reputation: 5136
Anyone who believes that certain "races" of people are somehow immune to being racists because of their "race," is very certainly a racist. And that is true regardless of what that person's skin color is, or what sort of self-serving explanation that anyone comes up with to try to excuse their racism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2015, 10:23 PM
 
Location: Japan
10,609 posts, read 4,382,590 times
Reputation: 6806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
LOL! You ended a really good rebuttal of the OP with such a silly statement, that I question if you even wrote what came prior.
Yeah, that was strange. A very reasonable refutation of O'Reilly's theory then a scream of RACIST!!!!! for good measure.

Quote:
The truth is people like O'Reilly try to make excuses for Black misbehavior, while still holding them accountable. They do this because the alternative explanation is something that he doesn't find palatable - which is that Black people are just inherently different. True, you will probably rebut with: slavery, Jim Crow, White racism or some other nonsense, but mainstream conservatives don't even consider those a probable option.
I think the reality of inherent difference actually is a pretty good excuse, at least at the group level. Individuals should be held accoutable for their own actions but there is no reason to blame anyone for group average differences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2015, 10:38 PM
mm4
 
5,711 posts, read 3,130,302 times
Reputation: 1941
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
..., or just plain ignorant of black life in this country. Basically you just don't know squat about black people as a result you can for the life of it understand why black folks reject these arguments out of had, they are rejected out of hand because they simply do not speak to our reality.
Why don't you start and tell us about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2015, 11:03 PM
 
2,870 posts, read 1,658,784 times
Reputation: 1933
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Black people aren't any different than any other people in this country. And IMO, you are showing your bias and inferior view you have of blacks in this country. Over 90% of black people have never been involved with crime. I don't understand your "sense of aesthetics" comment being that black Americans basically created American culture and aesthetics. We have a hand in every American art genre and in cuisine and basically everything that is American. We are quintessential Americans. You have mentioned you are Asian American. IMO, you are much more "different" than us since we have longer roots in this country and more of a connection to American culture.
Yes, Black people, in the aggregate, are very different from other groups in America. There is not one measure where Blacks can be said to be the same as other groups. Of course, other groups also vary from one to another as well, but it flies in the face of reality to claim that Blacks are just the same as everyone else. And, yes, Blacks have had a lot of influence on popular culture, but that doesn't change the fact that Blacks have tastes that generally differ from Whites or other groups, despite the fact that there is some crossover.

And I'm Eurasian with roots in America before America was even a country. My roots in America go back farther than most Blacks. My ancestors were here before Leif Erickson came to this continent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2015, 11:33 PM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
27,145 posts, read 29,572,530 times
Reputation: 26612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
Yes, Black people, in the aggregate, are very different from other groups in America. There is not one measure where Blacks can be said to be the same as other groups. Of course, other groups also vary from one to another as well, but it flies in the face of reality to claim that Blacks are just the same as everyone else. And, yes, Blacks have had a lot of influence on popular culture, but that doesn't change the fact that Blacks have tastes that generally differ from Whites or other groups, despite the fact that there is some crossover.

And I'm Eurasian with roots in America before America was even a country. My roots in America go back farther than most Blacks. My ancestors were here before Leif Erickson came to this continent.
Can you please explain to me this "otherness?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:10 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top