U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 12:10 AM

15,262 posts, read 7,790,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
Yes, Black people, in the aggregate, are very different from other groups in America. There is not one measure where Blacks can be said to be the same as other groups. Of course, other groups also vary from one to another as well, but it flies in the face of reality to claim that Blacks are just the same as everyone else. And, yes, Blacks have had a lot of influence on popular culture, but that doesn't change the fact that Blacks have tastes that generally differ from Whites or other groups, despite the fact that there is some crossover.

And I'm Eurasian with roots in America before America was even a country. My roots in America go back farther than most Blacks. My ancestors were here before Leif Erickson came to this continent.
Me as well.

What about black Americans make them "very different" from other groups in America?

I really cannot think of any. I am a middle income black person in the country. What is different about me according to you?

And uh huh, Eurasian...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2015, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Can you please explain to me this "otherness?"
How much do you want to bet that he will bring up crime and Ebonics!

LOL.

I really do want to know though how we are different. I live around a lot of white people and the only thing that is different between them and me is their skin color versus mine and my nappy hair versus theirs.

And Supachai, I really am serious I would like to know what you think being I feel it will be informative to know how people view my American self from different than them. I have traced my family via historial archives/records to the 1700s prior to the Revolution. So my family has been here over 300 years and in all that time, I think that my family and I are representative of regular old Americans today.

Old 08-16-2015, 12:28 AM

10,534 posts, read 4,340,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Me as well.

What about black Americans make them "very different" from other groups in America?

I really cannot think of any. I am a middle income black person in the country. What is different about me according to you?
These are group differences... patterns, tendencies, trends... It makes no sense to discuss them in terms of individuals. You might be exactly like a typical white person in every way. But that single data point tells us nothing about blacks as a group.

Old 08-16-2015, 12:34 AM

2,870 posts, read 1,654,046 times
Quote:
Me as well.

I'm talking about Blacks as a group, not you as an individual. But when looked at as a group, it's not too difficult to see that Blacks vary greatly from the norm. Just look at out of wedlock birth rates, violent crime rates, credit rates, savings rates, incarceration rates, rates of STDs, obesity rates and practically any other quality that can be measured. Blacks are not on par with Whites, Asians or even Hispanics. This is no mystery so quit acting like it is.

Quote:
And uh huh, Eurasian...
Yes, Eurasian. My mother is Asian and my father is mixed White and American Indian. It's not really relevant, but you brought up my ancestry.

Old 08-16-2015, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
These are group differences... patterns, tendencies, trends... It makes no sense to discuss them in terms of individuals. You might be exactly like a typical white person in every way. But that single data point tells us nothing about blacks as a group.
What patterns and tendencies and trends?

As stated I would really like to know. And just FWIW, IMO over 50% of black people would need to adhere to these trends in order to make some sort of vast difference with the rest of society. The only "trend" and "tendency" that I can even think of is OOW birth statistics. Other than that, black people are not any different than other Americans except in regards to looks and hygiene (due to different hair type).

Is there anything else other than OOW births that you can think of or would like to share?

Lack of a response makes me imagine that there is some sort of racist based reason for you thinking that we as a group of people are all that different from any other American ethnic group.

Old 08-16-2015, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Can you please explain to me this "otherness?"
Around 70,000 years ago, some small groups of people started moving out of Africa. The children of these folks went on to settle the entire non-African world, developing and evolving in vastly different climates and terrains. They also interbred with other human groups, like the Neanderthals, and retain their DNA. As a result, their descendants have become somewhat distinct from the descendants of people who did not leave Africa.

Old 08-16-2015, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
I'm talking about Blacks as a group, not you as an individual. But when looked at as a group, it's not too difficult to see that Blacks vary greatly from the norm. Just look at out of wedlock birth rates, violent crime rates, credit rates, savings rates, incarceration rates, rates of STDs, obesity rates and practically any other quality that can be measured. Blacks are not on par with Whites, Asians or even Hispanics. This is no mystery so quit acting like it is.

Not acting like anything. Just like to see when people admit that they adhere to white superiority view points. It is interesting being that so many like to claim they are not a racist, when in effect, they simply are.

In all of the items you cited though I will give you OOW birthrates and that is about it. All others, when you look at black people as a whole are not all that different form whites in particular or hispanics. Most Americans don't have good credit or savings rates and STD rates are not astronomical with blacks either. And on the population as a while obesity is not much different either.

But I am fine with you believing blacks are inferior to other ethnic groups. At least you are honest with your racism. Honest racists are my favorite since they easily agree to the fact that they hold those views and aren't going to change them.

ETA: I do think it is funny though that one of your criteria for black inferiority is that we are fatter lol!!

Old 08-16-2015, 12:50 AM

Quote:
In all of the items you cited though I will give you OOW birthrates and that is about it. All others, when you look at black people as a whole are not all that different form whites in particular or hispanics.
You are in complete denial on this topic.

Old 08-16-2015, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
What? Pay the government a license fee to have children? A thousand times, no. Do you see all of the tax regulations, and healthcare regulations - and you suggest adding this? No way.

What happens when people have sex and can't pay the license fee when pregnancy occurs - abortion? Or are you stopping people from sexual relations unless they pay a fee?

Now I understand the goal you want to achieve - but not this way.

--------------------------------

I think someone like LeBron or Beyonce or someone at that level would have to invest huge in their time and money to get a consistent message out there to try and change the culture.

People are going to have to see examples and experience positive change for themselves in order for life changing behaviors to take root.
LOL at the bold. You think a basketball player and a singer, both of whom have no higher education, can "change the culture." LOL

What culture are they trying to change?

Black American culture is just fine. It is not the general poverty culture that all ethnicities in our country adhere too (crime, deliquency, uneducated, etc.)

Black American culture is family, faith, hope in the face of adversity, strength, the courage to speak up and advocate for justice and other positive aspects that have made us climb out of dire poverty from the 1950s when 70% of our ancestors lived in poverty to today where that number has been reversed.

We also didn't need a "push" from Obama...

As you stated, things are getting better slowly but surely. For you all to think that in one year of BronBron and Bey's assistance that "the black community" (don't know what location you are speaking of either with these references to "the culture" or black community) can be changed for the better is really silly. Our culture is already positive and on the whole we are getting better when compared to decades past. Just leave us alone and keep your black inferiority thoughts to yourself. Or maybe go talk to LeBron and Beyonce and see if you all can come up with a plan lol.

Old 08-16-2015, 01:05 AM

2,870 posts, read 1,654,046 times
Quote:
Not acting like anything. Just like to see when people admit that they adhere to white superiority view points. It is interesting being that so many like to claim they are not a racist, when in effect, they simply are.

In all of the items you cited though I will give you OOW birthrates and that is about it. All others, when you look at black people as a whole are not all that different form whites in particular or hispanics. Most Americans don't have good credit or savings rates and STD rates are not astronomical with blacks either. And on the population as a while obesity is not much different either.

But I am fine with you believing blacks are inferior to other ethnic groups. At least you are honest with your racism. Honest racists are my favorite since they easily agree to the fact that they hold those views and aren't going to change them.

ETA: I do think it is funny though that one of your criteria for black inferiority is that we are fatter lol!!
It's not a matter of agreeing with me. It's whether or not you agree with reality.

Quote:
Most Americans don't have good credit or savings rates and STD rates are not astronomical with blacks either. And on the population as a while obesity is not much different either.
No. Black STDs rates actually are astronomical.

CDC - NCHHSTP - Health Disparities - African Americans/Blacks

Blacks have much worse credit scores, which is why Blacks get denied loans at a higher rate.

Study: African-Americans More Likely to Have Bad Credit | BadCredit.org

Which also has to do with the fact that Blacks don't really save as much money.

Racial divide in savings - Chicago Tribune

And Blacks have the highest obesity rates as well.

Adult Obesity Facts | Data | Adult | Obesity | DNPAO | CDC

I could go on, but I think that you should get the point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies