U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-20-2015, 09:40 AM
 
2,977 posts, read 1,207,175 times
Reputation: 1918

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
You are seriously delusional if you think Fox "feature a lot of representatives on their shows from the left to debate subjects, and they give all participants plenty of talking time and respect their views." There are tons of sound bites of Fox hosts being ******** to liberals. They don't respect anyone's views but their own. It is nowhere near "Fair and Balanced". Also, lol at that last sentence. Fox ONLY covers stories that will rile up their base, with little interest in fairness or balance. That really had me laughing, thank you!

FYI: I try not to watch any of those news outlets, as they all suck.
If this is true "I try not to watch any of those news outlets"
how can you be so sure about these
"You are seriously delusional if you think Fox "feature a lot of representatives on their shows from the left to debate subjects"
"Fox ONLY covers stories that will rile up their base"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-20-2015, 09:52 AM
 
2,499 posts, read 1,120,413 times
Reputation: 1420
Quote:
Originally Posted by And D View Post
This might be intelligible to some of you, but WARNING! There is more reading to be done here than average! More than one factoid to consider as well. Proceed at your own risk...

Is the Affordable Care Act Working?

After a year fully in place, the Affordable Care Act has largely succeeded in delivering on President Obama’s main promises, an analysis by a team of reporters and data researchers shows. But it has also fallen short in some ways and given rise to a powerful conservative backlash.

Has the percentage of uninsured people been reduced? Yes, the number of uninsured has fallen significantly.


Has insurance under the law been affordable? For many, yes, but not for all.


Did the Affordable Care Act improve health outcomes? Data remains sparse except for one group, the young.


Will the online exchanges work better this year than last? Most experts expect they will, but they will be tested by new challenges.


Has the health care industry been helped or hurt by the law? The law mostly helped, by providing new paying patients and insurance customers.


How has the expansion of Medicaid fared? Twenty-three states have opposed expansion, though several of them are reconsidering.

[color=#333333][font=&quot]
Has the law contributed to a slowdown in health care spending? Perhaps, but mainly around the edges.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...ng.html?_r=0#/
"Perhaps...."
"Data remains sparse....."
"Most experts expect that they will...."
Man, these are some powerful facts that you're laying down here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2015, 10:12 AM
 
2,977 posts, read 1,207,175 times
Reputation: 1918
Quote:
Originally Posted by And D View Post
Income inequality.


Wasn't so long ago that Romney was explaining how he made on the order of $200 million in one year and paid about 18% of that to taxes.
You should check your facts before you post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2015, 10:13 AM
 
659 posts, read 249,496 times
Reputation: 65
"Man, these are some powerful facts that you're laying down here."

Wow! I see someone might have taken a moment to read a little more than a headline!

I prefer facts and truths to rhetoric, and so that's what I try to offer even if not necessarily conclusive.

If something is not known, but instead "perhaps" the case, best to just be honest and say so. This too is a fact.

"Data remains sparse." How is this not a fact worth considering, rather than concluding according to your bias?

What is "powerful" is sticking to the truth rather than letting your agenda get the better of you!

"Most experts expect that they will..." I for one consider this a fact as well, because I understand what is known vs what is likely to be. Both types of information have value to a lot of people. The military deals with this sort of information every day! Not everyone can however, don't feel bad if that's you.

Also notice a very selective choice of facts here! What of the more concrete that would be to your liking, and/or the rest of the information contained in the article?

Oh, right, I forgot about the attention deficit problem.

Maybe for others then...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2015, 10:19 AM
 
2,977 posts, read 1,207,175 times
Reputation: 1918
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
Balanced my ass
Well since you have bilateral symmetry it probably is fairly balanced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2015, 10:20 AM
 
659 posts, read 249,496 times
Reputation: 65
"You should check your facts before you post."

Very true! Thank you! I made the mistake of remembering the net worth figure rather than Romney's income, and as such I stand corrected.

Here are the numbers much closer to what was widely reported as this issue of correcting the tax code was front and center when Romney made his run.

On income of approximately $13.7 million, Romney paid an effective tax rate of 14.1% in federal taxes.

Romney's net worth is reported to be approximately $250 million.

Again thank you for the fact check request! These are the more accurate numbers, that I don't believe change the point of the matter any.

Tax reform is badly needed in this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2015, 10:22 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles
14,379 posts, read 7,934,664 times
Reputation: 6636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler
Income inequality held steady during the GW Bush years but then skyrocketed in the Obummer years. The fact is, Dems need a huge income inequality to pander to the low income so really they need a large low income class of voters. The rich also benefit under Dems...Obummer borrowed Trillions from the Chinese to hand out to his rich fat cat buddies on Wall Street that elected him...no wonder they like him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Exactly. And why people don't realize that is beyond me.
It's fairly simple. Progressive liberalism is based on warm fuzz feelings of what could be in their own minds... NOT what is attainable in a free society. They're ideology is to make the world a place where everyone is equal, even if everyone is miserable (except those at the top) in that world.

If they need to lie, cheat, social engineer, and regulate everyone into submission... it sounds like a backassward exercise in hypocrisy to me.
Wow! I see someone might have taken a moment to read a little more than a headline!

Quote:
And D said: I prefer facts and truths to rhetoric, and so that's what I try to offer even if not necessarily conclusive.
Dude! You are the poster child of factless rhetoric and truths you find on the sites that feed your ideological fantasy.

If Obama is the savior to progressives... why has the divide grown exponentially under him over seven years? Why have we become a dysfunctional nation with nearly 1/3rd the working class on some form of welfare? You claim less people are uninsured, but what you fail to see is that is because millions of people were thrown into Medicaid which is worse than being uninsured!!!

You need to start using those critical thinking skill that public education sucked out of your brain. If it looks, feels, and smells like crap... it's crap! And that's exactly what we have been handed by both parties over the last 30 years.

EVERYONE needs to wise up the to fact that the political elites of both parties have become the enemy of the citizen, as they try to confuse and divide us They are doing exactly what Eisenhower warned us of in 1961.

Last edited by steven_h; 08-20-2015 at 10:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2015, 10:24 AM
 
659 posts, read 249,496 times
Reputation: 65
"Well since you have bilateral symmetry it probably is fairly balanced."

This comment, on the other hand, is hardly fair given my effort, anyway, to stick with the truth, error(s) though I do make sometimes and correct as appropriate, again thanks most recently to your request for that fact check!

I think it is easy to tell who is more wanting of the truth vs who is more interested in subverting that effort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2015, 10:37 AM
 
66,240 posts, read 30,169,021 times
Reputation: 8607
Quote:
Originally Posted by And D View Post
Income inequality.

The issue is generally that of wealth inequality, not so much income inequality. There is a big difference.
Both became worse during Obama's presidency.

Income Inequality Worse Under Obama Than George W. Bush - Huffington Post

America’s wealth gap between middle-income and upper-income families is widest on record | Pew Research Center
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2015, 10:38 AM
 
659 posts, read 249,496 times
Reputation: 65
STRAW MAN!

"Progressive liberalism is based on warm fuzz feelings of what could be in their own minds... NOT what is attainable in a free society. They're ideology is to make the world a place where everyone is equal, even if everyone is miserable (except those at the top) in that world."

You can hardly conjure up a more blatant version of a straw man argument than this one! And to think this really means something to some people. Means nothing but extreme bias beyond reason to me (aka total loss and waste of time).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:01 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top