U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-14-2015, 02:27 PM
 
66,501 posts, read 30,325,536 times
Reputation: 8668

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Never heard him say that
I posted the transcript. Go back through the thread and read my post. Search for Barney in this thread to get to it quickly. Or better yet, here's a link to that post:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/40821816-post45.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-14-2015, 02:32 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
14,375 posts, read 7,964,196 times
Reputation: 6636
Quote:
Originally Posted by And D View Post
Income inequality.

The issue is generally that of wealth inequality, not so much income inequality. There is a big difference.

Then the question becomes tax fairness on income that of course leads to an effect on wealth over time.

Far right conservatives argue for a "flat tax." The same percentage of taxes paid no matter what the income.

Of course we as a country (and most modern societies) have long since known better. A progressive tax rate has made much better sense for a whole host of reasons that most people don't really understand, because most people don't file much other than a 1040.

Wasn't so long ago that Romney was explaining how he made on the order of $200 million in one year and paid about 18% of that to taxes. Politics is about figuring out how right -- or wrong -- that might be. Fact is, our country could not last economically if not for a progressive tax code. We'd go bankrupt over night, because most of the money made and therefore taxes to be had comes from the top levels of the economic scale. Just about half of Americans don't make enough money to pay anywhere near what is needed to finance what is America.

Accordingly, it is also simple fact that folks with lots more money, power and wealth far better understand what's going on with the tax code. Of course, they are also the ones far better at influencing how the tax code is written into law.

If this can't be seen as a problem and/or issue to pay close attention to by just about anyone, I surely don't know why, but also of course, lots of people find it a whole lot easier to put their faith and trust in those most wealthy and successful.

Not sure billionaires like Ross Perot and Donald Trump would even stand a chance if we didn't.
The thing about a forum is that it is meant to be a forum, not a personal soap box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pac_5 View Post
Unacceptable, but not terribly surprising.

If you are "Conservative" and have at least a 10th grade reading level, you should be reading your news from the Wall Street Journal. As far as what is broadcast on Foxnews or AM talk radio - people will just nod their heads and drool all the same.
Your self-righteousness is old and tired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2015, 02:32 PM
 
13,139 posts, read 4,481,605 times
Reputation: 6409
Quote:
Originally Posted by And D View Post
"Illegal immigration isn't diversity."

With all due respect, really, again?

Do you know what a straw man argument is?

I never made this statement or argument, and I am not stupid enough to get sucked into that sort of thing.

Quote verbatim or not at all, please.

Then, just maybe, we can stay on track and make better sense to one another.

Try it! You just might like it!
WTF did you say here? What does it mean? Talk about facts, you leave them out. One can only assume you mean Trump's stance on illegal immigration since that is the ONLY thing he ever commented on about immigration. Where does diversity come or xenophobia come in to this? It doesn't, you are referring to illegal immigration and you know it. Man up.

Quote:
My concern about Trump, his rhetoric and followers is that the intention seems to be a very conservative bent toward nationalist leanings, from "no time" for political correctness to borderline Xenophobia and not a whole lot of respect for diversity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2015, 02:45 PM
 
659 posts, read 250,379 times
Reputation: 65
"The thing about a forum is that it is meant to be a forum, not a personal soap box."

Funny! I suppose one man's views, opinions and effort to explain them is another man's "personal soap box."

I've pretty well explained myself enough as to what makes for a worthwhile exchange in my opinion. I have also expressed my opinion and given my reasons for them best I can with little time or good reason to do so.

If you want a specific reply from me that matters any to you, quote me verbatim, and I will maybe take some time in return.

Otherwise, I think best I simply ignore the right-winging "peanut gallery" here and stick with those who don't have so much trouble with even the basics.

FOR THE RECORD: what I said about Trump does not translate to any sort of confusion between what is illegal immigration and diversity. I'm trying real hard to be civil here, but these sorts of bonehead retorts are a true test of patience. I'm not sure even the Buddha would not slap some heads over that sort of nonsense!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2015, 02:49 PM
 
Location: Ohio
19,910 posts, read 14,235,190 times
Reputation: 16091
Quote:
Originally Posted by And D View Post
Politics: what if Americans were more interested in the facts rather than indulging in sensationalism, propaganda and biased rhetoric?
Then those Americans would be identified as Conservatives, or right-leaning at the very least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2015, 02:50 PM
 
659 posts, read 250,379 times
Reputation: 65
Maybe if someone could tell me what Trump meant when he said he and this country don't have time for "political correctness," I could rethink what I think he meant that was soon followed by his comments that left lots of women and plenty many men as well thinking that Trump ought to have his head examined.

Or maybe Trump is actually a very articulate, thoughtful and tactful man worthy of leading ALL of us, regardless of race, religion or gender, to the promised land!

Maybe it's me! Maybe I'm just not getting that from what the man ACTUALLY SAYS!

I'll review the tapes and get back to you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2015, 02:51 PM
 
13,139 posts, read 4,481,605 times
Reputation: 6409
Quote:
Originally Posted by And D View Post
"The thing about a forum is that it is meant to be a forum, not a personal soap box."

Funny! I suppose one man's views, opinions and effort to explain them is another man's "personal soap box."

I've pretty well explained myself enough as to what makes for a worthwhile exchange in my opinion. I have also expressed my opinion and given my reasons for them best I can with little time or good reason to do so.

If you want a specific reply from me that matters any to you, quote me verbatim, and I will maybe take some time in return.

Otherwise, I think best I simply ignore the right-winging "peanut gallery" here and stick with those who don't have so much trouble with even the basics.

FOR THE RECORD: what I said about Trump does not translate to any sort of confusion between what is illegal immigration and diversity. I'm trying real hard to be civil here, but these sorts of bonehead retorts are a true test of patience. I'm not sure even the Buddha would not slap some heads over that sort of nonsense!
Then state your FACTS like you are saying others need to do. WTF did you mean by that if you weren't referring to illegal immigration, which you really were and you know it. Boneheaded posts and statement only deserve boneheaded comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2015, 02:53 PM
 
13,139 posts, read 4,481,605 times
Reputation: 6409
Quote:
Originally Posted by And D View Post
Maybe if someone could tell me what Trump meant when he said he and this country don't have time for "political correctness," I could rethink what I think he meant that was soon followed by his comments that left lots of women and plenty many men as well thinking that Trump ought to have his head examined.

Or maybe Trump is actually a very articulate, thoughtful and tactful man worthy of leading ALL of us, regardless of race, religion or gender, to the promised land!

Maybe it's me! Maybe I'm just not getting that from what the man ACTUALLY SAYS!

I'll review the tapes and get back to you...
If you don't know what he meant you're lost. Almost ALL of us here don't know what YOU mean at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2015, 03:13 PM
 
Location: CT
3,461 posts, read 1,855,966 times
Reputation: 4614
Quote:
Originally Posted by And D View Post
Politics: what if Americans were more interested in the facts rather than indulging in sensationalism, propaganda and biased rhetoric? Which way do you lean, vote, and why? Facts and sound reason, please to the extent possible, critical thinking. For all the rest, there is always Fox news.
The problem isn't FOX news, they are as legitimate as news reporters as MSNBC or CNN, the problem is discerning the information one gets from a news program and a news commentary program. News commentary can exploit opinions and biases to elicit emotional stimulation, which drives viewership.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2015, 04:08 PM
 
659 posts, read 250,379 times
Reputation: 65
Dbones,

Why don't you try to tell me what Trump meant then, humor me.

I heard him say he and the country does not have time for political correctness, then he went on with more comments that many consider incredibly insensitive and insulting that over-shadowed the Fox debate and turned it into a Trump Megyn Kelly reality TV escapade. We're talking about a contender for POTUS here, not someone who gets paid to be outrageous.

That some of you understand Trump better than me is great!

Tell, me, like with what his policy on immigration and/or illegal immigration might be. Anyone care to articulate here any better than Trump has. Or maybe someone has those specifics somewhere in the public record?

Liberal or not, I'm sure at least some of us Americans are wanting to hear and make sense of our options.

Anybody got some substantive help with any of that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top