Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 02:10 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,528,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
So... why are people complaining about income inequality if the income gap is "irrelevant and inconsequential?"
they complain about it because many people have argued that companies can not afford to pay their employees.Obviously they can if their CEO makes the same as the entirety of the hourly workers in that company.

Quote:
Are you claiming it's NOT a problem that the income gap is widest in blue states?
Yes.

If you pay your employees well, then no one cares about the gap.

And im talking in generalizations because the income gap you are using is based on everyone who lives in the state. That means there are outliers like the number of billionaires who reside in the state.

Obviously the gap is going to be larger in California, which has 111 billionaires vs Mississippi which has 0.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 02:14 PM

659 posts, read 312,476 times
fat lou,

Why don't you go back to the beginning of this thread and look for the facts I am referring to. Let me know if on the whole I am not at least trying to do better than average, and maybe even succeeded at least at that.

Then, why don't you make some sort of similar effort, man, and..., well how about just make any effort!

Meet you half way...

Old 08-14-2015, 02:15 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Barney Frank already admitted the problem was government-mandated lending goals.
Never heard him say that, what I have heard him say is that the banks themselves should have never been lending like that.

Old 08-14-2015, 02:19 PM

13,899 posts, read 6,440,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by And D View Post
Again, facts please!

Would we all not agree there is need for immigration policy reform? What - exactly - is Trump proposing and why should it work any better than past or present policies? I am surely interested to know.

"How is defending the borders akin to Nazism?"

Didn't take long for the straw man to appear. Please check again, these are certainly not my words. Let's quote verbatim or not at all, whaddya say?

My concern about Trump, his rhetoric and followers is that the intention seems to be a very conservative bent toward nationalist leanings, from "no time" for political correctness to borderline Xenophobia and not a whole lot of respect for diversity. Nazis were a lot like that, not exactly of course, maybe not even mostly, but too similar for my taste.

The "99% rallies that were flooding the country" is also a bit more rhetoric over fact, because although those protests made the news, those at the rallies did not represent any large percent of Americans. The fact is that the Occupy movement was largely in protest of some rather unsettling facts -- hard statistics -- about an enormous amount of wealth in the hands of an amazingly few percentage of Americans. Be that small percent white or black, Jew or not, then or now, the concern is a real one for anyone who believes America should be a land of opportunity for all.

If that can similarly be compared to Nazism, then I suppose we may have veered off the rails of reasonable here, and I for one would prefer we not go much further off the deep end.
Illegal immigration isn't diversity. Start there and maybe you can deconstruct where, how and why you learned that and still cling to it today.

Old 08-14-2015, 02:22 PM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
MIRROR CHECK.

Read these last comments and take note of the straw men coming out of the woodwork! Lots of reference to what "they" say, and not a whole lot of sticking to what is actually said here. You want to create and make your own argument with yourself? You should take a good look in the mirror and ask why.

You want to focus on what people are ACTUALLY saying or writing and consider what facts there are to establish truth
Here is the truth: Dems couldn't win the U.S. Presidency without maintaining a large no-/low-income voter base. Look at the statistics on how people vote at various income levels...

How Groups Voted in 2012 - Roper Center

http://cdn.theatlantic.com/static/mt...0vs%20Vote.png

We also know this fact: The income gap is largest in blue states.

Old 08-14-2015, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
they complain about it because many people have argued that companies can not afford to pay their employees.Obviously they can if their CEO makes the same as the entirety of the hourly workers in that company.

Yes.

If you pay your employees well, then no one cares about the gap.

And im talking in generalizations because the income gap you are using is based on everyone who lives in the state. That means there are outliers like the number of billionaires who reside in the state.

Obviously the gap is going to be larger in California, which has 111 billionaires vs Mississippi which has 0.
CEO's don't have a say in how much their employees get paid. The shareholders do. If the shareholders want X amount in return the CEO MUST find ways to get them that or THEY are replaced. Focus your anger on Globalism since it's multinational corps with shareholders from other nations that don't care one bit about the workers that are to blame. Those oil rich Arabs in Dubai and such are big culprits of this. They have ZERO loyalty to the American worker since everything is global now, they will just replace you with someone cheaper. That's just the way globalism works.

TO ALL CONCERNED:

You don't like my comments or those of anyone else, of course. No one is here to gather round and sing kumbaya, but if you don't like what someone is writing or saying, especially from me, let be known WHY! Ideally with at least some counter argument backed up with some tangible bit of verifiable information or truth.

Some of these expressions of disagreement and frustration that are little more than ******* and moans for the sake of bitching and moaning reminds me of when I accidentally caught an episode of The Bachelorette.

If that's what you're into, why not watch that show instead of hang out here?

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
So what? You said an income gap is "irrelevant and inconsequential."

Old 08-14-2015, 02:26 PM

Quote:
TO ALL CONCERNED:

You don't like my comments or those of anyone else, of course. No one is here to gather round and sing kumbaya, but if you don't like what someone is writing or saying, especially from me, let be known WHY! Ideally with at least some counter argument backed up with some tangible bit of verifiable information or truth.

Some of these expressions of disagreement and frustration that are little more than ******* and moans for the sake of bitching and moaning reminds me of when I accidentally caught an episode of The Bachelorette.

If that's what you're into, why not watch that show instead of hang out here?
I only pointed out that you seem to think illegal immigration is diversity which is a very asinine and delusional thing to say.

Old 08-14-2015, 02:26 PM

"Illegal immigration isn't diversity."

With all due respect, really, again?

Do you know what a straw man argument is?

I never made this statement or argument, and I am not stupid enough to get sucked into that sort of thing.

Quote verbatim or not at all, please.

Then, just maybe, we can stay on track and make better sense to one another.

Try it! You just might like it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies