Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 10:24 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
The first time Republicans controlled both the House and Senate, the budget got balanced.

The president does not unilaterally control the budget.
The Tea Party was born because the Republican Party were just as big spenders as the Democrats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 10:25 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Because we have a Democrat party!

Old 08-14-2015, 10:26 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,735,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
It's no surprise that Republicans are giant spenders just like Democrats. The difference is Democrats don't constantly say they are for small limited government. Republicans lie right to their voters face and people are waking up to this.
exactly. At least with Democrats they tell you- We are going to take your money. Even though they lie about how it will be used.
Republicans are even more stealth.

Welcome to our Plutocracy.

Old 08-14-2015, 10:27 AM

20,458 posts, read 12,381,706 times
Quote:
If Republicans are so fiscally responsible, why was President Eisenhower (in the 1950′s) the last Republican president to balance the budget?

#Exposing Republican Lies#
LOLOLOLOL!!!!

well considering that budgets are constitutionally created in the house of Representatives....

I ...

uh....

well....

I suppose the issue is why are you asking questions that prove your ignorance of U. S. Civics?

Old 08-14-2015, 10:28 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
I love Richard Nixon. I was born in 1976 so the Nixon I was familiar with was the late 80s early 90s elder Republican statesman. I remember an interview with him from that era where he stated that fiscal responsibility was an essential Republican trait. A republican who can't balance a budget is useless. Well folks, the last president to balance a budget was Bill Clinton, which is why I support Hillary. Truth be told, she's a bit too conservative for my tastes (she would have been a Republican if this were 1970), but I appreciate her pragmatic, realistic approach.

Old 08-14-2015, 10:29 AM

Lets also point out that within the Republican umbrella there is very wide understanding of the economics of government.

for instance, Neo-Conservatives do not believe that imbalance is a bad thing. As Dick Cheney pointed out, if the growth of government spending remains below the rate the economy grows, then you have no issue. (this is not my position. it is the Neo-Con position)

Old 08-14-2015, 10:30 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,551 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Republicans passed the Balanced Budget Act of 1997, if there hadn't been that little 9/11 incident and the subsequent war that both Democrats and Republicans voted for, and continued to vote to fund year after year, there probably would have been a balanced budget under Bush. We saw what happened after the Democrats got control of the House and Senate, MASSIVE spending spree that only doubled under Obama.
You want to blame the ability to not have a balanced budget under the Bush administration on a war that cost 2.7 trillion over 10 years, but Not blame an economic down turn that started in 2005(officially being a recession in 2007) that saw a drop in US GDP by 1 trillion,revenue drop by 1 trillion in 3 years ?????????????

Old 08-14-2015, 10:30 AM

One more thing to point out, the one man in America who actually wrote the last balanced budget is John Kasich. (R) Gov. of Ohio.

Old 08-14-2015, 10:31 AM

16,591 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
If Republicans are so fiscally responsible, why was President Eisenhower (in the 1950′s) the last Republican president to balance the budget?

The thing I find funny is how the liberals always want to tout how Congress has impeded Obama to where he couldn't get anything done. Yet when others are faced with the same problem, but happen to have an (R) after their name, it is never Congress fault.
Many an (R) potus faced a Congress either partially or fully in the hands of the (D's). So to try and imply that all (R's) have not accomplished their goals (assuming a balanced budget was even possible in those economic times) is just an attempt to make a partisan attack without context.

`

Old 08-14-2015, 10:36 AM

2,172 posts, read 1,453,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post

The thing I find funny is how the liberals always want to tout how Congress has impeded Obama to where he couldn't get anything done. Yet when others are faced with the same problem, but happen to have an (R) after their name, it is never Congress fault.
Many an (R) potus faced a Congress either partially or fully in the hands of the (D's). So to try and imply that all (R's) have not accomplished their goals (assuming a balanced budget was even possible in those economic times) is just an attempt to make a partisan attack without context.

`
Which is true of most P&OC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies