U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2015, 10:20 PM

69,372 posts, read 55,497,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Is that right? It has nothing to do with larger companies having a built in advantage over mom and pop stores?
You mean the advantage of having politicians in their pocket to help write laws which limit competition, and thus increasing the larger companies bottom line, thus exploding the stock market etc while the rest of the nation suffer?

Then why do you left wing kooks keep shouting "but look at the stock market", if you understand the gains come at the other businesses expense?
Quote:
Whatever happened to personal responsibility? You have any idea how much private debt the middle class is in?
Not all debt is bad.. I'm tens of millions in debt, I sleep very soundly at night..

But I really wonder why now all of a sudden the left wing kooks are babbling against debt.. we were told from you guys that it was good and needed to grow the economy.. now its bad bad bad..

flip floppers..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 10:21 PM

30,456 posts, read 20,105,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
If taxes are at some of their lowest levels in history, and the wealthiest in this country are richer than ever, why hasn’t the growth in the wealth of the middle class matched that of the top 2%?

#Exposing Republican Lies#

Revenue as a percentage of GDP is sky high!

Historical Federal Receipt and Outlay Summary

Last edited by momonkey; 08-14-2015 at 11:28 PM..

Old 08-14-2015, 10:52 PM

30,456 posts, read 20,105,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Obamacare is a big factor too. Companies downsized because of Obamacare, and reduced hours of remaining employees.

Liberals never seem to want to look at the whole picture. They take one little thing, like lower taxes, and then say, "See, see? Taxes are low! Why no 'trickle down?'

Nice try. This thread has bombed big time because it is based on a false premise. It assumes low taxes mean thriving business and job growth. But they ignore all the other factors in the equation.

But that`s just it.

Taxes as a share of GDP are not low.

They are sky high!

The federal government is taking in 19.3% of GDP.

Last edited by momonkey; 08-14-2015 at 11:28 PM..

Old 08-14-2015, 11:36 PM

10,218 posts, read 6,796,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Trickle down doesnt exist, since the money doesnt belong to the government.. I didnt move the goal post, I'm LAUGHING at you guys for blaming a theory that does not even exist..
Trickle-down or supply-side or Reaganomics, it has many names. Let's not be obtuse.

Quote:
Um, by design, welfare actually lowers the standard of living.. When Clinton CUT welfare, it INCREASED the standard of living in the nation.. the OPPOSITE of what you left wing kooks like to claim.
That was then, this is now. China alone today is the largest or second largest economy in the world, depending which metric you use; a lot has changed since when Clinton first took office ~20 years ago.

Welfare is supposed to be a floorboard for a standard of living.

Quote:
I'm curious how the fk, maintaining poverty is, according to you, raising the standard of living for americans.
LOL. Maintaining poverty? We've been doing that as a species since we learned how to build civilizations and cities. That has been the human condition for pretty much all of our history.

US citizens, the large majority of them, lived in poverty for the majority of this country's history long before welfare. You seem to have an inaccurate view of poverty that doesn't match reality.

Quote:
For those who expect something from it, without being involved..
Everyone is a consumer, everyone is involved.

Quote:
When welfare removes individuals from the work force, it encourages businesses to go overseas in order to avoid taxes to pay for it, and thus when they go overseas, we get less revenues and higher expenses due to less people working.
LOL. That makes no sense and I'm not sure what your point is. America, Japan, and Germany are global manufacturing beasts and have varying levels of social spending and we have way less people than China. America has been a leading developed country that has been growing population wise, so the issue isn't "welfare removing individuals from the work force" or whatever that means.

Quote:
Businesses chase a cap rate on profits, they dont give a crap how the costs are justified to those that offer no benefit to their bottom line
And that's fine, except there is a world outside the business owner's vacuum.

Quote:
Warren Buffet bought up a bunch of companies that their previous OWNERS looked at long term approaches.. This kook theory you guys come up with that business owners will jeopardize the next decade of profits for short term gain is utterly ridiculous..
Ok? Smart people surround themselves with other smart people who won't tell them what they hear. Why you hatin' on my boy Buffet yo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
You mean the advantage of having politicians in their pocket to help write laws which limit competition, and thus increasing the larger companies bottom line, thus exploding the stock market etc while the rest of the nation suffer?
Small businesses have their respective trade organizations and lobbying groups. Let's not be naive and think small business owners are all by their lonesome.

Quote:
Then why do you left wing kooks keep shouting "but look at the stock market", if you understand the gains come at the other businesses expense?
Putting me in either left or right wing camp is not a smart move.

Quote:
Not all debt is bad.. I'm tens of millions in debt, I sleep very soundly at night..

But I really wonder why now all of a sudden the left wing kooks are babbling against debt.. we were told from you guys that it was good and needed to grow the economy.. now its bad bad bad..

flip floppers..
You're tens of millions in debt and can't understand the difference between public vs private debt? For your sake, I hope that's just your internet ego talking. Either way, I wouldn't broadcast that one doesn't the know difference between the separate types of debt.

Old 08-14-2015, 11:42 PM

10,218 posts, read 6,796,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
But that`s just it.

Taxes as a share of GDP are not low.

They are sky high!

The federal government is taking in 19.3% of GDP.

That's not what your link says unless you are confusing the projected 2020 year with 2015 (17.7%). They aren't sky high looking at your link.

Old 08-15-2015, 04:47 AM

78,990 posts, read 33,560,179 times
Quote:
There is definitely some overvaluation in the stock market, but businesses have simply become more productive using less which accounts for a lot of that increase.
So, we have two problems each that can be argued to have been set up by the two previous administrations. One (R) and one (D). It's just amazing to me that so many only want to blame one party. What this says to me is there really is no concern for those struggling but the entire concern is with a political party and that's pretty distasteful.

Quote:
Except for those that own stocks. It's unfortunate that our monetary policy of QE didn't have a solid fiscal policy to pump up demand for the smaller businesses. I certainly took advantage of that easy money since I have good credit, but unfortunately there are many folks who weren't able to do poor money management.
At least here you come a little close in condemning the recent actions. I benefited also but not really. Sure my 401k is higher and I could get a car loan at almost free money but prices have shot up and the country is in a mess. My gains were not worth it. The actions are really hurting the millions in the lower middle and lower classes.

The left could have stopped that from happening. It's not believable to complain about it now.

Old 08-15-2015, 04:51 AM

20,976 posts, read 16,263,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Check your history. The low wage issue began well before Obama was even nominated.
And has been getting even lower......

Old 08-15-2015, 05:45 AM

6,322 posts, read 4,759,448 times
it all comes back to Reagan. he promoted growth of min wage jobs, yet the biggest gap between CEO pay and taxes vs min wage growth and taxes.

ive never seen wealth "trickle down." for the most part, the richer save and are even bad tippers, etc. any jobs created are min wage and human productivity is now like 3xs what is was 20 years ago. (ie, jobs probably COULD/SHOULD be created as to not burn out workers, but why bother when corporations see people as expendible.)

Old 08-15-2015, 06:14 AM

36,893 posts, read 16,100,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
If taxes are at some of their lowest levels in history, and the wealthiest in this country are richer than ever, why hasnít the growth in the wealth of the middle class matched that of the top 2%?

#Exposing Republican Lies#
One of these days people like you will learn, not really, that the top 2% INVEST when and ONLY when they believe they will get a decent return on their money.

Obama's policy's do NOT make them feel comfortable investing. The odds are against them making the return they desire.

It's that SIMPLE, really!

Old 08-15-2015, 06:26 AM

78,990 posts, read 33,560,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
One of these days people like you will learn, not really, that the top 2% INVEST when and ONLY when they believe they will get a decent return on their money.

Obama's policy's do NOT make them feel comfortable investing. The odds are against them making the return they desire.

It's that SIMPLE, really!
It's so odd then that the returns have been very high the last 6 years. Artificially so, but high all the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or