U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 03:55 PM

1,603 posts, read 886,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Then I suggest that somebody learn how to fight that way they don't have to make a choice when dealing with an unarmed suspect.
meanwhile, over in reality getting into hand to hand range means that "unarmed suspect" can easily grab your gun, a fate for something like 1/3rd of all officers shot.

By those innocent "unarmed suspects".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 03:57 PM

8,056 posts, read 4,387,109 times
For the, "Could't he have used his taser?", crowd. I'd bet dollars to donuts he does not normally, if ever carry a taser. The following is all in the article.

The guy - cop - is a detective who was on his way to a witness interview. He noticed the perp's car weaving, stopped him and called for backup to handle the traffic stop. The perp disobeyed a lawful order to stay in his car during this time and attacked the detective. The detective hesitated. He is fortunate to be alive.

A tough, tough job. Hesitate and you could be dead. React too quickly and you could kill someone needlessly. Thin line.

Old 08-14-2015, 04:01 PM

15,088 posts, read 17,495,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truly Missouri View Post
Pistol-whipped Alabama detective held fire - CNN.com

I just wonder how many cops are now going to get hurt and even killed because the media has waged this campaign to besmear them of their actions to self-defense, and to a fair investigation, and fair trial.

It's appallingly sad! That cops are now fearing the media, more than the suspects.
This may be a case of a police officer who, due to his job duties as a detective, spends limited time confronting suspects on a regular basis compared to the amount of time a patrol office does so, and nearly paid the ultimate price for not being as prepared/experienced.

[the media is an excuse]

Old 08-14-2015, 04:04 PM

8,056 posts, read 4,387,109 times
Many small communities use ticket and parking fines to close local budget gaps. It was one way Ferguson Missouri coped. The DOJ was all over Ferguson, for disparate impact, in their post Brown investigation and report.

We have had a fundamental transformation in the allowable role of law enforcement during the last few years. Not for the good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
They cost a lot to maintain, but a lot of police departments are getting millions in funding for this. I think it's a good idea too. I support this idea as it is worth the expense. Just increase ticket and parking fines to help pay for them.

Old 08-14-2015, 04:07 PM

16,264 posts, read 9,060,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
Painting with that awfully broad brush again, huh Ferd?

No one wants criminals to get away with crimes. Is asking a cop to do his job without shooting someone too much to ask? Sometimes it can't be avoided, we all know this, but sometimes (most of the time) it can be. The problem is the attitude from both the criminal and the cop. On the criminal side that should be self explanatory. On the cop side, a whole lot of them have some kind of God complex. They are people who want control. They act like a kid who's toy was taken away when they are disrespected.

Don't get me wrong now, I am not on the side of criminals, but some cops, (I stress SOME) need to learn to control themselves.

yes.

now to the meat of you errant post here.

Asking a cop not to shoot a thug when the thug is coming at him is asinine. Its sick and twisted and in fact it caused THIS COP to just about get killed.

Old 08-14-2015, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
I agree with you. I live in Alabama and have heard all about this everyday since it happened. Cops should not be afraid to use their weapon, but their gun is not the only way they can subdue someone. Are you saying that this cops only option was to shoot the guy or get pistol whipped?? Could he not have used his Taser, or some other means of subduing him?
I am absolutely 100% saying that this case right here PROVES beyond any reasonable doubt that this cop should have pulled his gun, told this thug to get back in his car, and if the thud took a single step toward the cop, the cop would have been 100% justified in putting this rabid dog down.

period.

here is my broad brush. Liberals WANT the cop to die because that's a better option than an "unarmed" thug getting shot.

Old 08-14-2015, 04:11 PM

21,978 posts, read 9,335,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
They cost a lot to maintain, but a lot of police departments are getting millions in funding for this. I think it's a good idea too. I support this idea as it is worth the expense. Just increase ticket and parking fines to help pay for them.
Maybe they could sell some of their paramilitary gear and tanks for the funds.

Old 08-14-2015, 04:12 PM

21,978 posts, read 9,335,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
I am absolutely 100% saying that this case right here PROVES beyond any reasonable doubt that this cop should have pulled his gun, told this thug to get back in his car, and if the thud took a single step toward the cop, the cop would have been 100% justified in putting this rabid dog down.

period.

here is my broad brush. Liberals WANT the cop to die because that's a better option than an "unarmed" thug getting shot.
That is a pretty rabid statement actually.

Old 08-14-2015, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
This may be a case of a police officer who, due to his job duties as a detective, spends limited time confronting suspects on a regular basis compared to the amount of time a patrol office does so, and nearly paid the ultimate price for not being as prepared/experienced.

[the media is an excuse]
good grief ARE YOU SERIOUS?????

This police officer knew what to do, explained what he should have done and clearly said he didn't follow his training BECAUSE of the media!

Old 08-14-2015, 04:15 PM

3,557 posts, read 3,443,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
good grief ARE YOU SERIOUS?????

This police officer knew what to do, explained what he should have done and clearly said he didn't follow his training BECAUSE of the media!

Then he shouldn't be a cop. Training also tells you when not to shoot, but then he wouldn't get any attention of he claimed that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or