U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 10:52 PM

29,518 posts, read 16,422,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
It's not. It's fake.

Peanut Butter Jelly Crime : snopes.com - FALSE

As it turns out, the original source for the “peanut butter sandwich ban” was a Portland Tribune article published on 6 September 2012. The entire rumor was predicated on the opening lines of that lengthy article, in which Portland elementary school principal Verenice Gutierrez referenced the notion that students from different cultures don’t necessarily share the same frames of reference (even in matters that might seem universally common and ordinary, such as sandwiches), and educators should be aware of those kinds of issues:

Verenice Gutierrez picks up on the subtle language of racism every day.

Take the peanut butter sandwich, a seemingly innocent example a teacher used in a lesson last school year.

“What about Somali or Hispanic students, who might not eat sandwiches?” says Gutierrez, principal at Harvey Scott K-8 School, a diverse school of 500 students in Northeast Portland’s Cully neighborhood.

“Another way would be to say: ‘Americans eat peanut butter and jelly, do you have anything like that?’ Let them tell you. Maybe they eat torta. Or pita.“

Unfortunately, since the article’s author (not Principal Gutierrez) used the word “racism” in the article’s opening line, this brief opening passage was taken out of context and spun into a claim that Portland schools were seeking to “ban” peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for being “racist.”
So, it's not fake. Thanks.

Old 08-14-2015, 10:57 PM

3,557 posts, read 3,446,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
So, it's not fake. Thanks.
You posted that PB&J was banned because its racist. That's false.

Old 08-14-2015, 11:31 PM

6,205 posts, read 4,620,232 times
The Peanut butter and jelly sandwich turned out to be baloney.

Old 08-14-2015, 11:38 PM

7,249 posts, read 5,562,499 times
When I read the cut and paste (note that Roadking2003 plagiarized his entire OP except for the first sentence) I was thinking this sounded familiar, like there have been threads on it before. And sure enough, people on the extreme, fact-free right have been pushing this ridiculous lie for going on three years now.

Old 08-15-2015, 12:34 AM

46,054 posts, read 29,425,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
When I read the cut and paste (note that Roadking2003 plagiarized his entire OP except for the first sentence) I was thinking this sounded familiar, like there have been threads on it before. And sure enough, people on the extreme, fact-free right have been pushing this ridiculous lie for going on three years now.
It is annoying seeing this story keep popping up because all it does is show how little many right wingers care about facts when they post conservative nonsense. Heck, I wonder how many times the OP has posted this story over the past three years.

Old 08-15-2015, 02:27 AM

18,219 posts, read 9,441,746 times
Since there are no Rebel Flags in Portland, they have to make up stuff like peanut butter sandwiches to rail against. Political Correctness Naziism at work.

Old 08-15-2015, 05:10 AM

16,813 posts, read 11,753,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
It's not. It's fake.

Peanut Butter Jelly Crime : snopes.com - FALSE

As it turns out, the original source for the “peanut butter sandwich ban” was a Portland Tribune article published on 6 September 2012. The entire rumor was predicated on the opening lines of that lengthy article, in which Portland elementary school principal Verenice Gutierrez referenced the notion that students from different cultures don’t necessarily share the same frames of reference (even in matters that might seem universally common and ordinary, such as sandwiches), and educators should be aware of those kinds of issues:

Verenice Gutierrez picks up on the subtle language of racism every day.

Take the peanut butter sandwich, a seemingly innocent example a teacher used in a lesson last school year.

“What about Somali or Hispanic students, who might not eat sandwiches?” says Gutierrez, principal at Harvey Scott K-8 School, a diverse school of 500 students in Northeast Portland’s Cully neighborhood.

“Another way would be to say: ‘Americans eat peanut butter and jelly, do you have anything like that?’ Let them tell you. Maybe they eat torta. Or pita.“

Unfortunately, since the article’s author (not Principal Gutierrez) used the word “racism” in the article’s opening line, this brief opening passage was taken out of context and spun into a claim that Portland schools were seeking to “ban” peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for being “racist.”
What a crime, teaching students about the culture in which they live and introducing them to new foods and ideas. No place for that in the portals of social justice, formerly called schools.

Old 08-15-2015, 05:28 AM

23,862 posts, read 11,851,588 times
I read part of that article and when I got to the made up problem of "white privilege" I stopped at that point.

People on the left coast are in search of a solution to a nonexistent problem.

Old 08-15-2015, 05:33 AM

6,322 posts, read 4,734,007 times
i cant believe that after NUMEROUS times of this story being called fake, there are loads of people who wanna twist it into something its not.

i also love on how stories like these, not a peep about "state rights" from those who would otherwise scream bloody murder if it was about feeding poor too much food or taking away your guns.

Old 08-15-2015, 06:23 AM

3,871 posts, read 1,899,272 times
What if they used rye bread instead of white bread? Or whole wheat. Whole wheat is inclusive because it doesn't discriminate against any part of the wheat plant. The could use German Schwartzbrot but that might be reverse dicrimination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or