Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 12:31 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,946,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winning Guy View Post
Many Republicans and many Democrats suffer from the same problem. They just tow the party line, even when it goes against their principles.

Republicans have also been horrible at marketing their message.

Democrats do a great job at vilifying Republicans and changing the narrative.

They worry about things about electability and how being principled can be twisted in the news by political opponents.

What people should do is find out what their own principles are, and vote based on those. Dont worry about electability. Dont worry about who others are going to vote for.
I agree with you actually. I'm a fiscal conservative / social liberal, this tends to be closest in line with Libertarians. I'm not as extreme as Ron Paul on liberty, but I most likely would have voted for him if he won the nomination in 2012. His son has said things that make me worry he is too entrenched in his faith to really be open to liberty when it comes to social issues. We'll see as we get more debates though. As of now I like Trump the most, followed by Sanders (but I'm a bit nervous with Sanders that he is too far left, even though those ideals will never become because Congress and the Senate will be balanced).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2015, 12:39 PM

624 posts, read 378,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I agree with you actually. I'm a fiscal conservative / social liberal, this tends to be closest in line with Libertarians. I'm not as extreme as Ron Paul on liberty, but I most likely would have voted for him if he won the nomination in 2012. His son has said things that make me worry he is too entrenched in his faith to really be open to liberty when it comes to social issues. We'll see as we get more debates though. As of now I like Trump the most, followed by Sanders (but I'm a bit nervous with Sanders that he is too far left, even though those ideals will never become because Congress and the Senate will be balanced).
If you are libertarian, then you should be okay with his faith. The only problem is if he tries to force others to abide by his faith through the power of government. But that's not an issue with him. He wants to reduce government power and interference into our lives.

Old 08-15-2015, 12:46 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,015,891 times
I liked how Mark Cuban summed up todays Republican "leaders" recently:

Quote:
Leaders don't conform to the consensus. They create consensus to their vision and goals.

Leaders don't change their positions mid debate. They welcome scorn from the masses because it creates the opportunity for dialogue.

Leaders don't look backwards to condemn what has already been done, they look forward to create a better future.

Leaders are not dogmatic. They are principled and know that change is never easy, but when it's necessary, they must lead.

The Republican Party does everything possible to discourage leadership.

They want dogma.

They want conformity.

They want to conserve their romanticized past.

That's a shame. I wish they wanted to conserve the best of what America is today and find a leader that can take us to new places that make our future better.

I realize that's not the way politics work in this day and age. And that just proves the point.
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/mark-c...144345793.html

Old 08-15-2015, 12:47 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,426,515 times
I hate registered republicans, registered democrats are not much better. I think we need more political parties.

Old 08-15-2015, 12:50 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,883,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Is he the short one with the chirpy voice?
Is a candidate's height and voice your main criteria for selecting a President?

Old 08-15-2015, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winning Guy View Post
If you are libertarian, then you should be okay with his faith. The only problem is if he tries to force others to abide by his faith through the power of government. But that's not an issue with him. He wants to reduce government power and interference into our lives.
I feel like he has given really mixed or unclear answers when it comes to abortion, same-sex marriage etc. That is why I brought up his strong faith. It's fine to be against these things as long as he doesn't say he will make abortions more difficult, same-sex marriage doesn't have to be recognized etc.

Old 08-15-2015, 02:07 PM

876 posts, read 1,001,041 times
Quote:
It shows Republicans are liars, while in many ways Democrats offer more freedom.
If there is anything I have learned in my life so far, it's that the word freedom doesn't mean the same thing to lefties as it does to everyone else. The left defines freedom as being stuff given to them by someone else. So in their point of view, a person that is technically a slave is still free as long as he can get what he wants from the state. It also doesn't help that they generally feel freedom goes only one way and that they should be able to trample on others to get what they want, since in their mind not being able to force others to give them their stuff means denying them "their freedom".

The idea that lefties respect other's privacy and sex life while conservatives don't is also a lie. Lefties want to tell you what to eat and drink, and feel that you should pay for other people's birth control. This is not staying out of other people's lives and sexual activities. And yet they claim to be more tolerant than the big bad conservatives. It's a joke.

Old 08-15-2015, 03:16 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,015,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkarin View Post
If there is anything I have learned in my life so far, it's that the word freedom doesn't mean the same thing to lefties as it does to everyone else. The left defines freedom as being stuff given to them by someone else. So in their point of view, a person that is technically a slave is still free as long as he can get what he wants from the state. It also doesn't help that they generally feel freedom goes only one way and that they should be able to trample on others to get what they want, since in their mind not being able to force others to give them their stuff means denying them "their freedom".

The idea that lefties respect other's privacy and sex life while conservatives don't is also a lie. Lefties want to tell you what to eat and drink, and feel that you should pay for other people's birth control. This is not staying out of other people's lives and sexual activities. And yet they claim to be more tolerant than the big bad conservatives. It's a joke.
The big bad conservatives that stand up for American freedom while they try to pass a clause in the NDAA saying the government can detain an American citizen indefinitely without a trial if he's suspected of "terrorism?" Which has a very wide definition, everything is the work of a terrorist today.

Old 08-15-2015, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
The big bad conservatives that stand up for American freedom while they try to pass a clause in the NDAA saying the government can detain an American citizen indefinitely without a trial if he's suspected of "terrorism?" Which has a very wide definition, everything is the work of a terrorist today.
And the entire point of a trial is to determine whether said person is guilty. Republicans believe Washington beaurcrats know who is guilty and not which is very scary.

Old 08-15-2015, 04:02 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
It shows Republicans are liars, while in many ways Democrats offer more freedom. They tend to be against mass surveillance, government spying on Americans, secret prisons, prison without a trial, women's choice etc.
Speaking of lies......... try getting your facts next time. Dems love spying on Americans and Obama is the leader of everything you posted.

Rand Paul is just about the only congressman opposed to NSA spying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies