U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-15-2015, 11:07 AM
 
Location: US
17,939 posts, read 17,866,484 times
Reputation: 13951

Advertisements

One of the most widely-advertised, but falsest claims in politics is that the modern Republican Party stands for small government / limited government.

The Republican Party has consistently stood up for government programs that offer widespread intrusive surveillance of Americans, indefinite detention without trial, controlling women's decisions when it comes to their bodies, deciding who Americans are allowed to love and marry, building an expansive global military complex, enhanced interrogation (torture), secret prisons overseas, let's be honest the government has grown in power under modern Republicans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-15-2015, 11:12 AM
 
Location: Iceland
876 posts, read 675,096 times
Reputation: 1018
So basically the same as democrats except that they don't like government enterprise as much? Sounds like the lesser of 2 evils to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2015, 11:14 AM
 
Location: US
17,939 posts, read 17,866,484 times
Reputation: 13951
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkarin View Post
So basically the same as democrats except that they don't like government enterprise as much? Sounds like the lesser of 2 evils to me.
It shows Republicans are liars, while in many ways Democrats offer more freedom. They tend to be against mass surveillance, government spying on Americans, secret prisons, prison without a trial, women's choice etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2015, 11:19 AM
 
Location: Sonoran Desert
29,366 posts, read 39,807,051 times
Reputation: 18811
Americans are NOT for small government. Only in the abstract. The concept gets rave reviews but the reality is that everyone, including Republicans, is looking for a candidate that can fix the problems of our country. The solution, to nearly everyone, is in the hands of government. A true conservative would say that it is the government that causes the problems (they all say that) and support someone who says basically that he/she is going to sit on his/her ass, pass no new laws while repealing quite a few and let things work themselves out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2015, 11:54 AM
 
5,620 posts, read 3,671,745 times
Reputation: 5440
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
One of the most widely-advertised, but falsest claims in politics is that the modern Republican Party stands for small government / limited government.

The Republican Party has consistently stood up for government programs that offer widespread intrusive surveillance of Americans, indefinite detention without trial, controlling women's decisions when it comes to their bodies, deciding who Americans are allowed to love and marry, building an expansive global military complex, enhanced interrogation (torture), secret prisons overseas, let's be honest the government has grown in power under modern Republicans.
I grew up being told Republicans were all for:

- Personal Freedom
- but are hard bent on telling gays they cannot marry
- but are hard bent telling women they don't have a choice when it comes to abortion
- but are hard bent telling people they cannot smoke a plant anyone can grow
- often are leading attempts to restrict American's rights (NDAA, surveillance programs, etc)

- Are all for smaller government
- government over the past 40 years has on average grown more under a republican than a democrat
- insist on outrageous tax breaks and incentives for corporations (those tax breaks and incentives have to be
paid by someone)
- insist on a global military presence


As I've gotten older they've shown themselves to be the party of greed. If it wasn't for the above, I would likely be a republican instead of feeling forced to vote democrat (fiscal conservative, social liberal) most often simply because I cannot support their military/social/privacy stances, which are more important to me than money.

Last edited by LordSquidworth; 08-15-2015 at 12:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2015, 12:03 PM
 
Location: US
17,939 posts, read 17,866,484 times
Reputation: 13951
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
I grew up being told Republicans were all for:

- Personal Freedom
- but are hard bent on telling gays they cannot marry
- but are hard bent telling women they don't have a choice when it comes to abortion
- but are hard bent telling people they cannot smoke a plant anyone can grow
- often are leading attempts to restrict American's rights (NDAA, surveillance programs, etc)

- Are all for smaller government
- government over the past 40 years has on average grown more under a republican than a democrat
- insist on outrageous tax breaks and incentives for corporations (those tax breaks and incentives have to be
paid by someone)
- insist on a global military presence


As I've gotten older they've shown themselves to be the party of greed. If it wasn't for the above, I would like be a republican instead of feeling forced to vote democrat (fiscal conservative, social liberal) most often simply because I cannot support their military/social/privacy stances, which are more important to me than money.
I feel exactly the same way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2015, 12:16 PM
 
624 posts, read 300,504 times
Reputation: 205
Easy solution seems to be to vote for Rand Paul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2015, 12:18 PM
 
Location: Sonoran Desert
29,366 posts, read 39,807,051 times
Reputation: 18811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winning Guy View Post
Easy solution seems to be to vote for Rand Paul.
Is he the short one with the chirpy voice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2015, 12:20 PM
 
Location: US
17,939 posts, read 17,866,484 times
Reputation: 13951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winning Guy View Post
Easy solution seems to be to vote for Rand Paul.
I have a lot of respect for Ron Paul, but there are times when Rand Paul sounds like just another Conservative. I'll give you he is better than the other GOP candidates. However, I'm certain the Republican base will not vote for him because most Republicans really do believe in big government for the things Lord mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2015, 12:27 PM
 
624 posts, read 300,504 times
Reputation: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I have a lot of respect for Ron Paul, but there are times when Rand Paul sounds like just another Conservative. I'll give you he is better than the other GOP candidates. However, I'm certain the Republican base will not vote for him because most Republicans really do believe in big government for the things Lord mentioned.
Many Republicans and many Democrats suffer from the same problem. They just tow the party line, even when it goes against their principles.

Republicans have also been horrible at marketing their message.

Democrats do a great job at vilifying Republicans and changing the narrative.

They worry about things about electability and how being principled can be twisted in the news by political opponents.

What people should do is find out what their own principles are, and vote based on those. Dont worry about electability. Dont worry about who others are going to vote for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:41 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top