Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 11:10 AM
mm4 mm4 started this thread

5,711 posts, read 3,957,058 times

Advertisements

The triggers and microaggressions and hurtful language of contemporary higher ed now come back to haunt the teachers in the schools that indulged and attended to them:

_"I'm a liberal professor, and my liberal students terrify me"_
I'm a liberal professor, and my liberal students terrify me - Vox

_"The Coddling of the American Mind"_
"In the name of emotional well-being, college students are increasingly demanding protection from words and ideas they don’t like. Here’s why that’s disastrous for education—and mental health."
How Trigger Warnings Are Hurting Mental Health on Campus - The Atlantic

"During the 2014–15 school year, for instance, the deans and department chairs at the 10 University of California system schools were presented by administrators at faculty leader-training sessions with examples of microaggressions. The list of offensive statements included: “America is the land of opportunity” and “I believe the most qualified person should get the job.”"

_"Not a Very P.C. Thing to Say"_
"How the language police are perverting liberalism."
Not a Very P.C. Thing to Say -- NYMag

"Stanford recently canceled a performance of Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson after protests by Native American students. UCLA students staged a sit-in to protest microaggressions such as when a professor corrected a student’s decision to spell the word indigenous with an uppercase I — one example of many “perceived grammatical choices that in actuality reflect ideologies.” A theater group at Mount Holyoke College recently announced it would no longer put on The Vagina Monologues in part because the material excludes women without vaginas. These sorts of episodes now hardly even qualify as exceptional.

Old 08-15-2015, 11:19 AM

624 posts, read 377,322 times
Stupidity just continues to grow.

Old 08-15-2015, 11:23 AM

4,571 posts, read 3,505,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winning Guy View Post
Stupidity just continues to grow.
Yes, you see it here daily. The American left is completely out of control and dangerous.

Old 08-15-2015, 11:41 AM

40,932 posts, read 48,901,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
Yes, you see it here daily. The American left is completely out of control and dangerous.
It is strongly coming from the west coast and mainly your great state of CA.

It's worrisome what may happen to the 1st amendment which is our main major protection.
We may end up like England where "Offensive" language might get you arrested.

Old 08-15-2015, 12:06 PM

29,425 posts, read 16,342,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
The triggers and microaggressions and hurtful language of contemporary higher ed now come back to haunt the teachers in the schools that indulged and attended to them:

"In the name of emotional well-being, college students are increasingly demanding protection from words and ideas they don’t like. Here’s why that’s disastrous for education—and mental health."

"During the 2014–15 school year, for instance, the deans and department chairs at the 10 University of California system schools were presented by administrators at faculty leader-training sessions with examples of microaggressions. The list of offensive statements included: “America is the land of opportunity” and “I believe the most qualified person should get the job.”"

_"Not a Very P.C. Thing to Say"_
"How the language police are perverting liberalism."
Not a Very P.C. Thing to Say -- NYMag

"Stanford recently canceled a performance of Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson after protests by Native American students. UCLA students staged a sit-in to protest microaggressions such as when a professor corrected a student’s decision to spell the word indigenous with an uppercase I — one example of many “perceived grammatical choices that in actuality reflect ideologies.” A theater group at Mount Holyoke College recently announced it would no longer put on The Vagina Monologues in part because the material excludes women without vaginas. These sorts of episodes now hardly even qualify as exceptional.
Your Liberal professor article was completely hypothetical, the only real example he gave was actually a Conservative who basically called the professor a communist

Quote:
"What about Fannie and Freddie?" he asked. "Government kept giving homes to black people, to help out black people, white people didn't get anything, and then they couldn't pay for them. What about that?"

Last edited by Ibginnie; 08-17-2015 at 09:12 AM.. Reason: copyright violation

Old 08-15-2015, 12:18 PM

7,289 posts, read 6,870,931 times
May your political correctnes be the rope you fashoned the noose for your self .

Old 08-15-2015, 12:49 PM

624 posts, read 377,322 times
Does the ideology even really matter?

Stupid is stupid. For whatever reason, we're re easing a generation of coddled losers that need a reality check.

Old 08-15-2015, 12:54 PM

29,425 posts, read 16,342,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dark View Post
Neither do you. It's spelled 'excerpt'.
It doesnt matter, He started a discussion based on a hypothetical future possibility and played it off as if it was something the professor was actually claiming to be happening at this moment. The professors only real life example in the entire argument is one that is talking about a Conservative student who complained.

The other 3 articles are in the same light as that one.

Old 08-15-2015, 01:15 PM
mm4 mm4 started this thread

5,711 posts, read 3,957,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
It doesnt matter, He started a discussion based on a hypothetical future possibility and played it off as if it was something the professor was actually claiming to be happening at this moment. The professors only real life example in the entire argument is one that is talking about a Conservative student who complained.

The other 3 articles are in the same light as that one.
dsjj251 desperately doesn't want readers to see the numerous real life examples that prompted, and are included within, the writing of these articles--particularly so close together to each other in publishing timeframe. This month's new Atlantic article references the Vox piece.

Old 08-15-2015, 01:19 PM

13,279 posts, read 7,813,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post

America has always been "The Land Of Opportunists".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies