Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 11:17 PM

24,404 posts, read 26,951,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
There are no 'borders' for insurance companies. Any insurance company can register in each state to sell insurance and some do, the caveat is that they have to follow the laws of each state. This idea about selling insurance across state lines is nothing more than a money grab for insurance companies, they want to sell out of the state with the fewest regulations and financial solvency requirements. They did the same thing with credit cards, they all set up shop in Delaware or South Dakota which have no cap on interest rates that sure helped consumers, didn't it?
Insurance should be nationwide. They shouldn't be allowed to say your insurance is only good in California. If XYZ wants to offer insurance in California XYZ must offer the same plans nationwide. It would bring down the cost considerably and give people a lot more options.

Old 08-16-2015, 11:19 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,076,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
So pass something that actually hurts the American people? What kind of logic is that?
How does hurt Americans?

Old 08-16-2015, 11:32 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by incognitoe View Post
How does hurt Americans?
It ties health insurance to employers. Now when an employee wants to switch jobs, they have to change health insurance plans. That's not practical for employees... especially for those who have families with children. Health insurance should not be a function of employment. There's no need to tie good health insurance options to employers. There's no need to force employers to provide perks such as health insurance.

Old 08-16-2015, 11:37 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,076,322 times
Quote:
It ties health insurance to employers. Now when an employee wants to switch jobs, they have to change health insurance plans. That's not practical for employees... especially for those who have families with children. Health insurance should not be a function of employment. There's no need to tie good health insurance options to employers. There's no need to force employers to provide perks such as health insurance.
So how does that hurt Americans?

Most large corporation employers already have Health Insurance. The mandates only applies to business with more than 50 full time employee.

Employers who provided Health Care also receive tax credits.

Those who work for a company that do not provide Healthcare, can apply for ObamaCare. And if they're making less than 45k. They qualify for a huge subsidy.

Old 08-16-2015, 11:40 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Insurance should be nationwide. They shouldn't be allowed to say your insurance is only good in California. If XYZ wants to offer insurance in California XYZ must offer the same plans nationwide. It would bring down the cost considerably and give people a lot more options.
I don't think you read what I said I posted, but that's ok- just tell me how it would bring costs down.

Old 08-17-2015, 12:00 AM

Quote:
I don't think you read what I said I posted, but that's ok- just tell me how it would bring costs down.
Competition brings down prices.

Old 08-17-2015, 12:13 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Competition brings down prices.
How would it increase competition? As I already said, insurers can already sell in as many states as they like, this is NOT about competition, it's about giving companies the opportunity to operate out of the state with the fewest regulations. There is NO advantage to the consumer in that, and I can't see any way that it would make the market more competitive. BCBS probably already sells in all 50 states, do you think if they set up shop in Delaware their policies will get cheaper all of a sudden? Rates are based on the cost of service in various regions. If you live in a high cost state, there is no way in the world that an insurer is going to reduce your premiums to what a subscriber pays in a low cost state.

Old 08-17-2015, 12:21 AM

Quote:
How would it increase competition? As I already said, insurers can already sell in as many states as they like, this is NOT about competition, it's about giving companies the opportunity to operate out of the state with the fewest regulations. There is NO advantage to the consumer in that, and I can't see any way that it would make the market more competitive. BCBS probably already sells in all 50 states, do you think if they set up shop in Delaware their policies will get cheaper all of a sudden? Rates are based on the cost of service in various regions. If you live in a high cost state, there is no way in the world that an insurer is going to reduce your premiums to what a subscriber pays in a low cost state.
Are you serious?

The way the system is now discourages competition. The plans in Florida are completely different than the plans in California. Many of the companies Florida are different than the companies in California. The pricing is all different. Everything is different. If all the insurance companies had to offer the same plans nationwide, it would increase competition greatly, offer more plans, make plans more flexible, everything would be better. Right now companies virtually have monopolies in each state. If you still don't understand, you never will and we can just say good night.

Old 08-17-2015, 06:14 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,339,807 times
Quote:
So pass something that actually hurts the American people? What kind of logic is that?
It was passed so folks with previous medical conditions could get insurance. Everyone knows Health Plans do not want to insure folks with previous.

Old 08-17-2015, 06:20 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,735,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Folks in Europe have private health insurance too.
exactly. You get base coverage paid by your tax dollars then you need to buy supplements.

So many in the US do not know this and believe with incredible gullibility that Europeans get Free Healthcare. - Talk about a scam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies