Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 09:43 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,626,404 times

Advertisements

I can see your point. Look in any nursing home and women outnumber men by at least 2 to 1. I can relate and I'm sure a lot of women can also. Getting married isn't everybody's dream anymore. It is easier without a family to support.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:47 PM

366 posts, read 596,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
That is what MGTOW is. It is men's liberation finally here and finally spreading. Deal with it
I have some sympathies for the MGTOW "movement" if you can call it that, but I wouldn't say I subscribe to it. One thing I find funny though is how rabid the opponents are, either demonizing it as this hateful misogynist ideology, or just insulting the personal qualities of the man themselves. But I guarantee, and I challenge anyone to find me a counter-example, every single one of these opponents celebrated (or would if the movement didn't become assimilated as a mainstream view) the women's liberation movement of the 60s and 70s as a way to empower women and shatter gender norms. It's alright for women to break out of the materialistic traditional mold, but when men do it, they're shamed as losers or misogynistic.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:49 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,977,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
The OP sounds like a child who doesn't know much about the world yet. How many generations of children said the same thing (including mine as children of the 60's)? But it's good he won't marry and have kids, thus ending his bloodline.
Ah, I NEVER read about a generation saying "sex is overrated" out loud. In fact, in the 60s, it was the opposite! The new sexual revolution involves the revolutionary statement that "sex is not that big a deal and there are frankly better things to spend so much effort on then getting a release one can just as easily get with an HD monitor and the internet."

Quote:
BTW, OP, you deal with it. The rest of us don't give a crap about you.
Says the person commenting on my thread...

Old 08-16-2015, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Actually, they are. Do a little poking around online and you'll read about it. Talk to your daughters and you'll be surprised how the pool of responsible males out there is drying up.
My credit rating is 735 and I have a few thousand dollars in debt (less than the average used-car cost) I make $40,000 a year, have a 401k and next month I am setting up a mutual fund. I've never been to jail, pay my bills on time, and have volunteered at the homeless shelter downtown but now volunteer at a local animal shelter. How oh how am I "not responsible"? I am not just sitting around playing video games all day. I work, save my money take care of myself.

The idea that every man who doesn't want to chase girls is "not grown up" is absurd. "Responsible" the way SOME women say it implies a man who will spend his money and effort on a woman instead of on himself and his own ambitions.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:56 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,472,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubfan View Post
I have some sympathies for the MGTOW "movement" if you can call it that, but I wouldn't say I subscribe to it. One thing I find funny though is how rabid the opponents are, either demonizing it as this hateful misogynist ideology, or just insulting the personal qualities of the man themselves. But I guarantee, and I challenge anyone to find me a counter-example, every single one of these opponents celebrated (or would if the movement didn't become assimilated as a mainstream view) the women's liberation movement of the 60s and 70s as a way to empower women and shatter gender norms. It's alright for women to break out of the materialistic traditional mold, but when men do it, they're shamed as losers or misogynistic.
It can done without mentioning women.

[]

Old 08-16-2015, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
Yes, the idea that whiny men with zero social skills would remain single for their entire life is not new.

If you bothered to read you would see that I came to this conclusion AFTER I dated and had sex...and realized it was not all it was cracked up to be.

This scene best sums up my feelings at finally "getting a girl."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdA__2tKoIU

Old 08-16-2015, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Not as vitriolic as this guy, but I get his concerns.

Men have been emasculated in today's society. With fears of sexual harassment rampant, you have to be cautious well beyond the boundaries of good taste and correct manners.
Again, it has NOTHING to do with feminism, women's rolls etc. It is not about sexual harassment, rape allegations etc. It is just that now, and probably thousands of years into the past, RELATIONSHIPS AND SEX JUST AREN'T WORTH IT. It was probably NEVER worth it but now, thanks to things like the internet, more men are seeing they aren't alone in thinking this.

Old 08-16-2015, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
Cry me a river. Last time I checked, men still controlled virtually all Fortune 500 companies along with the US government, and "masculine" pursuits like football, driving ridiculously large trucks and shooting off guns were as popular as ever.
And many of those men are absolutely miserable doing those activities, but they do them "to impress women."

I am not Christian Grey or the Dos Equis man, and I am sorry but sex with women and intimate relationships are not enough incentive for me to try to be Christian Grey or the Dos Equis man.

Men for centuries have been told "better do X or women won't like you" or "you have to dress this way to attract women." MGTOW is about rejecting those societal pressures.

I would rather write and work and backpack. I would much rather spend my time and effort saving to eventually through Hike the Pacific Coast trail then attract a "woman whose a 10"

Quote:
"Society" can't emasculate you without your consent.
"Masculinity" and "femininity" are relative terms. And personally...different topic, but you brought it up, HOW THE HELL IS AMERICAN FOOTBALL "MASCULINE"?

Sorry, but I have better things to do than run around in Yoga pants with a bunch of men who I shower with and get sweaty and play with balls, all while trying desperately to penetrate the end zone

Old 08-16-2015, 10:08 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,935,420 times
If all you have ever done is have sex, and never made love, I can understand your saying it isn't worth it. Sex is emotionally empty. Making love is spiritual and all consuming. If you have never had this experience then you are missing a critical developmental stage of life. That is your issue however.

Old 08-16-2015, 10:09 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
wow too much information OP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies