U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-17-2015, 05:29 PM
 
Location: Lake Nona
601 posts, read 399,516 times
Reputation: 736

Advertisements

Particpation awards are like fans of most SEC football teams other than Alabama, Auburn, LSU, and Florida thinking the entire football universe revolves around them.

Go Buckeyes
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-17-2015, 05:34 PM
 
Location: Austin
13,865 posts, read 8,027,113 times
Reputation: 15708
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I can't address facts that only exist in your head. You essentially parrot what Fox says about "leftists" and "liberals" and then whine about name calling and the lack of rational discussion.

Look in the mirror. There's your answer.
You won't retort with facts, mlassoff, because facts are inconvenient to your point of view. You prefer name calling and insults to debate.

I am done with mlassoff.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2015, 05:35 PM
 
39,113 posts, read 21,021,834 times
Reputation: 8750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winning Guy View Post
My opinions aren't directly related to this story, but in general.

I personally would not throw away my kids' participation trophies, but I'd probably put them in a box once my child is skilled enough to play in a competitive game.

The fact that he still had the trophies to throw away means that he was keeping them up until now.

Update:

...and now that I looked at the article, it looks like Harrison isn't much different than me. He's less of a hard ass as some of the people in this thread.

He stated, "While I am very proud of my boys for everything they do and will encourage them till the day I die, these trophies will be given back until they EARN a real trophy”

So he's keeping the trophies and will give them back in time.
WHO is the father giving the trophies back too?

Please re-read.....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2015, 05:48 PM
 
Location: Lake Nona
601 posts, read 399,516 times
Reputation: 736
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2015, 06:15 PM
 
Location: Phila & NYC
3,374 posts, read 2,222,851 times
Reputation: 1269
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficCory View Post
Who's giving the kids the trophies?
The trophies were awarded by a sports academy known as "Next Level Athletics". It is a teaching and skills development experience and not a competition experience. Sports Academies and Sports Camps usually hand out certificates, plaques, or in this case trophies to all that attend.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2015, 06:46 PM
 
624 posts, read 323,526 times
Reputation: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
WHO is the father giving the trophies back too?

Please re-read.....
Duh. My bad.

But he did keep the trophies up until this point. Now his kids are old enough to compete.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2015, 06:48 PM
 
624 posts, read 323,526 times
Reputation: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
The trophies were awarded by a sports academy known as "Next Level Athletics". It is a teaching and skills development experience and not a competition experience. Sports Academies and Sports Camps usually hand out certificates, plaques, or in this case trophies to all that attend.
My son got a shirt in his skills camp.

Socks were reserved for participants who did something that showed they pushed themselves to be better.

I swear, my son was beyond hyped when he earned some socks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2015, 08:57 PM
 
Location: Texas
31,628 posts, read 13,140,458 times
Reputation: 7703
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
That is exactly my thought, I mean it is just a trophy that the kid probably won't even remember when they grow up.
He wouldn't remember it because a participation trophy is meaningless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Besides, trophies in general are meaningless,
Oh sure the Super Bowl Trophy never draws attention. Or seeing the State Football Championship in your High Schools trophy display that you contributed too, doesn't bring out a sense of accomplishment I guess, right?
Earn one then talk. Key word earn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
but a kid participating is something to support and be proud of because that encourages them to be better at what they are doing rather than shunning them when they don't do good at something.
Who says the kids are being shunned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
It sounds like this parent is overreacting like the ones that take their kid's sports games personally and get into fights with other adults over them.
It sounds like you're jealous because you never earned one.
Harrison is preparing his kids for the real world. Who gets raises or a promotion for just participating?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2015, 08:59 PM
 
624 posts, read 323,526 times
Reputation: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Who gets raises or a promotion for just participating?
Union members?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2015, 09:08 PM
 
Location: Houston
24,870 posts, read 13,057,824 times
Reputation: 10491
Whenever you see a liberal bring up Fox or Rush you know they have nothing to offer in debate.

I am sure the companies that produce trophies love the concept of participation trophies.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top