Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 09:05 PM

18,944 posts, read 43,390,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
The world is watching. You disappointed the entire world by casting that collosal misguided vote for Bush in the last election. Show some progression Show that you are evolving.
What I don't need is you telling me who to vote for, that is my decision! 25% of whites (democrats) in S.Carolina voted for Obama, yet only 10% of blacks voted for Hillary. Who's more biased?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 09:23 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,155,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
This is one of the problems we face when dealing with subject such as these. We assume that the "South" is some homogeneous group of people whom all share the same point of view, ideals, and attitudes just because they reside south of the Mason Dixon line.

In Florida, the further south you go, the further north you get, as south of the i-4 corridor you have very large populations of ex-northerners from the North East. Middle of the state and you end up with northerners from Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, and other Midwestern states.

In other areas of the South, the attitudes and trends today vary greatly depending upon how rural or metro the given area is. In essence, there is no single "south", as it is a modern microcosms of our greater melting pot.
Perhaps, but the presidential voting patterns for the past 40 years (except Carter in 1976 (from GA)) say that the region is pretty much of a single mind. Also look at the Senate, Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee and Kentucky all have two Republican Senators. Florida, Virginia and Louisiana each have a split. Seems pretty consistent here too. Think the Congress has much of a different tilt?

Virginia is the one state I see as evolving away from the "solid south", mostly due to the long term explosive growth in the suburban DC area, and their domination in the state voting in recent years. But in many ways, the DC area is more of the Washington to Boston megalopolis than it is part of the south.

Old 01-26-2008, 09:28 PM

18,944 posts, read 43,390,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Perhaps, but the presidential voting patterns for the past 40 years (except Carter in 1976 (from GA)) say that the region is pretty much of a single mind.
The same can be said about the northeast

Old 01-26-2008, 09:31 PM

20,170 posts, read 24,274,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Perfect riposte. My compliments.

Old 01-26-2008, 09:34 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,155,863 times
Quote:
Sure, each region has a trend, but the baseline discussion I was responding to was the variance in the south. Like the northeast or California, there are variances within a state, but the majority of the state(s) is fairly predictable. The south has a severe and consistent tendency in voting pattern.

Old 01-26-2008, 10:01 PM

8,064 posts, read 17,974,622 times
Quote:
25% of whites (democrats) in S.Carolina voted for Obama, yet only 10% of blacks voted for Hillary. Who's more biased?
That's exactly what I was thinking when I watched the coverage tonight. But we won't see anything made of it.

Just like we won't see anything about the undercurrent of sexism. I know my own city newspaper has contained comments from men saying that they would never support ANY woman for president. There was also the bloke who yelled "iron my shirts" at Hillary during a televised event. Why isn't this being explored by the "fair and balanced" media?

Old 01-27-2008, 02:00 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,134,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
I know they're supreme politicians and that's why I'm supporting her. As much as Americans claim they hate real politicians, it takes one to know how to get things done.
BINGO!! This is why she has my vote too.

Frankly, if she doesn't win, I don't think a woman can win in the next 50 years. And that's just sad.

Old 01-27-2008, 02:21 AM

251 posts, read 893,588 times
Now I have to say, you are full of ****! I grew up in rural south Alabama and till this day in my 32 years of life have I ever seen a cross burning.

It is people like you, feeding the imagination of others that make the south look bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
It is like that here in Georgia too. The further away from Atlanta you get, the more you see rednecks, trailers, confederate battle flags, pickup trucks and cross burnings!

Old 01-27-2008, 02:40 AM

130 posts, read 154,468 times
Living in the South i have noticed the Southerners will vote Democrate usually at the State and Local levels and Republican as President. I read an article in our local newspaper supporting my theory a few weeks ago.

Old 01-27-2008, 05:02 AM

4,462 posts, read 7,988,889 times
There have always been cultural distances between the north and south- and the far west is basically similar to the north east. Most southern whites are republicans now- and AM are democrats.

The Democrats after super Tuesday will not return to these states save for Arkansas- which is obvious. And Florida- which is not really a 'southern state'.

The Democrats will focus in on Ohio, Florida, AZ, NV and New Mexico- if they win only either Ohio (which seems likely considering that states horrible economy they can win). Any carry the states by Kerry in 2004. Plus pick up Iowa again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies