Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 11:09 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
What is the difference between bombing illegals near the border and beating up a homeless Hispanic in Boston?

http://www.nytimes.com/politics/firs...comments/?_r=0

After a Hispanic man was beaten Wednesday by two Boston men, one of whom told the police that he was inspired by Donald J. Trump’s anti-immigrant message, Mr. Trump told reporters that his supporters were “passionate.”

“Donald Trump was right, all these illegals need to be deported,” the police said one of the brothers, Scott Leader, 38, told them.

Told of the attack, which also left the man soaked in urine, Mr. Trump said at a news conference late Wednesday that it was the first he had heard of it.

“It would be a shame,” Mr. Trump said, before adding: “I will say that people who are following me are very passionate. They love this country and they want this country to be great again. They are passionate.”
No difference if you think about it. Bombing another country unprovoked, attacking someone unprovoked, same thing.

I am against illegal immigration. That said, those men did not know whether that man was a citizen, legal immigrant, or illegal. They just went and beat the man. And the fact that Donald Trump is downplaying it tells me he is the type of man who would condone crimes like that.

I have a sinking feeling more attacks like that could happen. It also makes me wonder when some (not all) people talk about illegal immigrants, if they are talking about anyone who comes here illegally, or if it is solely Hispanics they are talking about. Attacking someone because you think they are here illegally, well, how do you know said person was there illegally unless they tell you? That is the question those men should answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 12:51 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,107,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This is how I see illegal immigration. I see it as simply breaking the law and causing problems. Here is my plan if I were President:

-Deport ANYONE who has made illegal entry. What some people do not consider is that tourists can come, and then overstay their visa.
-Put troops at border and do border surveillance.

Drone strikes are not necessary unless we get attacked first. Unprovoked strikes is pretty much unprovoked war.

Part of me might consider that what Dr. Ben Carson is suggesting could be a premise for another Manifest Destiny. The USA started a war with Mexico. That is a big part of how we expanded. Unprovoked drone strikes would provoke a war. And then with that, who knows what happens next. Just my theory of what could be.
We should have kept all of Mexico in 1848 ... would have solved alot of problems in the long run. Eventually they would have assimilated and/or intermarried with Anglo settlers and it would have ended up looking alot like Texas, New Mexico, or California.

Old 08-20-2015, 12:53 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,281,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Just goes to show you that you don't need exceptional intellect to become a neurologist.
So it was easy for you to become a neurologist or what do you mean?

Old 08-20-2015, 12:56 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,107,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
No difference if you think about it. Bombing another country unprovoked, attacking someone unprovoked, same thing.

I am against illegal immigration. That said, those men did not know whether that man was a citizen, legal immigrant, or illegal. They just went and beat the man. And the fact that Donald Trump is downplaying it tells me he is the type of man who would condone crimes like that.

I have a sinking feeling more attacks like that could happen. It also makes me wonder when some (not all) people talk about illegal immigrants, if they are talking about anyone who comes here illegally, or if it is solely Hispanics they are talking about. Attacking someone because you think they are here illegally, well, how do you know said person was there illegally unless they tell you? That is the question those men should answer.
We're going to see more of this in the coming weeks because of Trump's excessive rhetoric. The problem is that whenever we (we as in Republicans) start taking a stance against illegal immigration it always morphs into an anti-Hispanic crusade complete with calls for English Only, banning all immigration, bombing Mexico, getting rid of the Puerto Ricans and other nonsense that ends up backfiring both on the Republican Party and the anti-illegal immigration cause. It just ends up uniting the vast majority of Hispanics against us.

How do we do this without stirring up anti-Hispanic hysteria?

Old 08-20-2015, 01:30 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
We're going to see more of this in the coming weeks because of Trump's excessive rhetoric. The problem is that whenever we (we as in Republicans) start taking a stance against illegal immigration it always morphs into an anti-Hispanic crusade complete with calls for English Only, banning all immigration, bombing Mexico, getting rid of the Puerto Ricans and other nonsense that ends up backfiring both on the Republican Party and the anti-illegal immigration cause. It just ends up uniting the vast majority of Hispanics against us.

How do we do this without stirring up anti-Hispanic hysteria?
Honestly, as a Democrat who will vote Republican on occasion, the rhetoric is a reflection of the people in your party and what many of them truly want.

Sadly, show a Republican take a stand for sanity, they get called a RINO, and get primaryed by some lunatic fringe tea partier, who appeals to the "base". It's a no win for sane Republicans.

Of course, this is a monster of the party's on creation. They embraced these people to take back power in the congress-- and it was successful, although, medium and probably long term very bad for a party facing changing American demographics.

You reap what you sow.

Old 08-20-2015, 01:36 PM

847 posts, read 766,922 times
It does not matter how you choose to survey the border.

you can do with people or technology.

But These all b.s solutions. you must eliminate people's incentive to migrate from their own country despite all these risks.

you must put pressure on businesses here to avoid hiring folks with no legal work permit.

then you can talk about the very long process of legalization 10,20,30 years.

Old 08-20-2015, 01:45 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
I thought you were going to say you don't need exceptional intellect to post on CD.
darn I wish I could rep you again, but I have to spread it around.

Old 08-20-2015, 01:52 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsami View Post
It does not matter how you choose to survey the border.

you can do with people or technology.

But These all b.s solutions. you must eliminate people's incentive to migrate from their own country despite all these risks.

you must put pressure on businesses here to avoid hiring folks with no legal work permit.

then you can talk about the very long process of legalization 10,20,30 years.
Good post. I wonder why it is you almost never hear virulent anti-immigration opponents talk about choking off demand for illegal workers by fining the business that employ them? What if business owners faced criminal liability for hiring illegals?

Old 08-20-2015, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Ben is trying to out Trump Trump.

"Carson proposed the idea of using drones for possible air strikes.

"If that requires getting rid of some of their hideouts, I'll get rid of some of their hideouts," Carson said.
Did you all miss where he said, he would not send all the Anchor babies and their families back to their country?

Old 08-20-2015, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
What do you think the downside would be to bombing criminals in the desert who are illegally invading our country? Not getting the liberal progressive vote?
Whether we support Trump, Carson or Fiorina, it is time we all start listening to some of what they have to say..That is why they are all gaining traction, they may be politically incorrect but they have some ideas at least. You know, I know and there are others here who have it right, it is time we put an end to allowing anyone, including kids just cross the border. Do what is takes to stop them, give us our country back!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies