Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 02:43 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,325,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkarin View Post
The 2 situations aren't even remotely the same. When parents give their children their stuff they are giving them things that they spent their life working for in order to make sure that their own kids would be better off. Not so that the state could take the money and then give it to other children who's parents did not bother doing the same thing.

Look, I am not some kind of ultra-conservative who thinks all welfare is bad. I 110% agree with the concept of the welfare system. But it's implementation needs to be rational and fair. Telling people they are entitled to free **** for no reason is not rational or fair. It's nonsense.
Here are some simple facts that sooner or later a lot of people are going to have to come to grips with, humans are being rapidly replaced by robotics and everybody cannot work as a cashier at the neighborhood Big Box so either displaced workers get support from somewhere our there is going to hell to pay. Now you think that this policy, which is the brain child or the most conservative economist of the 20th century, is the end of civilization, at leas as you know it.

Personally, I have two visions of the future, one is Star Trekian the other is a dystopian. You seem to prefer the latter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 03:10 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,677,147 times
If you are one of those lazy types of people, why bother to work at all, if you get paid a living wage to just watch TV and eat chips and drink beer all day? Why bother to even go to school?

Old 08-20-2015, 03:22 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,910,055 times
I was in jail for three days in Finland in 1999 due to a bar fight. They held me until they confirmed my flight out was leaving on the third day and left me only 9 hours after check out to get back to my hotel and the airport.

Anyway, it was a great experience overall considering the circumstances. The guards let me out of my cell at night to play cards with them, the food was amazing (fresh eggs at breakfast instead of powdered), I learned some Finnish, access to a shower and it was clean.

And one of my favorite bands (Nightwish) is from Finland along with a few other incredible neo-classical progressive metal bands (like Wintersun) A basic income for everyone there will ensure some great music continues to come out of that country since aspiring artists can avoid working,and still still survive while writing and recording.

Old 08-20-2015, 03:24 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,990,388 times
Quote:
Telling people they are entitled to free **** for no reason is not rational or fair. It's nonsense.
Why?

Old 08-20-2015, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
If you are one of those lazy types of people, why bother to work at all, if you get paid a living wage to just watch TV and eat chips and drink beer all day? Why bother to even go to school?
Who cares? What difference does it make to you if someone is sitting on their sofa vs. working at Wal-Mart? Are you afraid that Wal-Mart might go out of business?

Old 08-20-2015, 03:28 PM

876 posts, read 1,001,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
humans are being rapidly replaced by robotics
Just like how tractors replaced farmers which resulted in massive unemployment? Oh wait those doomsday predictions never turned out to be true. Just like almost all of the doomsday predictions the left-leaning people have made for the last 200 or so years. I will believe it only once I see it. If I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Now you think that this policy, which is the brain child or the most conservative economist of the 20th century
NO IT WASN'T. Stop comparing the minimum income idea with the idea of the negative income tax. As I already pointed out earlier these ideas are wildly different. The negative income tax doesn't just blindly give money to everybody like the minimum income does. The minimum income just gives everybody in the country regardless of their current income a flat payment. It's why it's so stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
Who cares? What difference does it make to you if someone is sitting on their sofa vs. working at Wal-Mart? Are you afraid that Wal-Mart might go out of business?
Are you seriously asking him why he should care if people work for a living or not?

Old 08-20-2015, 03:33 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times
Quote:
Just like how tractors replaced farmers which resulted in massive unemployment? Oh wait those doomsday predictions never turned out to be true. Just like almost all of the doomsday predictions the left-leaning people have made for the last 200 or so years. I will believe it only once I see it. If I see it.
Tractors replaced people physical labor, leaving us to use our brains. This next set of automation coming is edging out the remaining advantage. You are seeing it with self driving cars....but if you really want to get a sense of it...watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P18EdAKuC1U

Quote:
NO IT WASN'T. Stop comparing the minimum income idea with the idea of the negative income tax. As I already pointed out earlier these ideas are wildly different. The negative income tax doesn't just blindly give money to everybody like the minimum income does. The minimum income just gives everybody in the country regardless of their current income a flat payment. It's why it's so stupid.
I agree on the first half, its not the same. Its close...but....nope.

As for the minimum income being stupid....define why? What horrific thing will occur? Everyone will have equal access to a certain low level of living with little overhead in providing it......much like today except there being a massive amount of overhead in providing it. Additionally past data from doing small scale tests indicates that crime would go down, graduation rates up, and homelessness would be a choice.

For REAL fun....pay for work would become actually related. IE working at a chicken processing plant sucks bad....and pays minimum wage often. Why? Because those people need to survive somehow.

Last edited by greywar; 08-20-2015 at 04:54 PM..

Old 08-20-2015, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Are you seriously asking him why he should care if people work for a living or not?
Yes, I am seriously asking him why he should care whether people work for a living or not.

Old 08-20-2015, 03:37 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
Yes, I am seriously asking him why he should care whether people work for a living or not.
Protestant work ethic ingrained into them at a early age. Overall its not a bad thing per se, but it does lead to an acceptance of massive wealth and income inequality in people. Thats my guess.

Old 08-20-2015, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Protestant work ethic ingrained into them at a early age. Overall its not a bad thing per se, but it does lead to an acceptance of massive wealth and income inequality in people. Thats my guess.
Sounds right to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies