Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2015, 01:03 PM

8,418 posts, read 7,414,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Your grandmother did not earn the right to be here. Many legal naturalized American citizens have earned their rights to be here. I know it is harsh, but it is what it is.
She did eventually hold a green card. She married my grandfather, who was a United States citizen, but never became a citizen herself. As a matter of fact, she was quite proud of her nationality, and saw no reason to apply for U.S. citizenship.

Again, see my post above - I wouldn't be here if my great-grandfather hadn't broken the law. Try twisting your mind around that concept. It's why I can't buy into the "illegal immigration is evil" stance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2015, 01:13 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
She did eventually hold a green card. She married my grandfather, who was a United States citizen, but never became a citizen herself. As a matter of fact, she was quite proud of her nationality, and saw no reason to apply for U.S. citizenship.

Again, see my post above - I wouldn't be here if my great-grandfather hadn't broken the law. Try twisting your mind around that concept. It's why I can't buy into the "illegal immigration is evil" stance.
We are all human beings, and our nationality is simply an accident of birth

This can be your position on the Olympics. But each country has laws need to be respected, followed, and enforced.

"you" is not your birth only. It's also your upbringing, the culture you grew up in, the state/legal/etc environment you were raised, the language you spoke, the cuisine you were raised with, even the national TV channels you were watching while growing up.

I don't believe or buy into the "all illegals are evil" stance either. Honestly, I don't think anybody really believe it. But we cannot afford illegals and anchor babies. We have to be honest with ourselves.

Nobody said illegals are inferior human beings. Really nothing personal.

Old 08-22-2015, 01:21 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times
Quote:
Yes, she died sixteen years ago. But her father did bring her and her siblings into this country illegally during the 1920's.

I read on this forum about how illegal immigration is wrong/evil/destroying the country/yadda yadda yadda... but I still can't reconcile such statements with the fact that if her father hadn't broken the law then I wouldn't exist.
I don't subscribe to the notion that illegals are evil. There are laws pertaining to illegal immigration and they are in place for a number of reasons. We all live by the rule of law in this country. Do I agree with all the laws? No, but I have to obey the laws. The laws are just as pertinent to illegal aliens as they are to all other members of this society.

Old 08-22-2015, 01:30 PM

Quote:
I don't believe or buy into the "all illegals are evil" stance either. Honestly, I don't think anybody really believe it. But we cannot afford illegals and anchor babies. We have to be honest with ourselves.
We can't we afford illegals and anchor babies?

People illegally immigrate into this country seeking work, freedom, whatever. It's being going on since the 1920's. Why now is it such enormous issue?

Old 08-22-2015, 01:34 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:

People illegally immigrate into this country seeking work, freedom, whatever. It's being going on since the 1920's. Why now is it such enormous issue?
Well, I think citizens should be able to choose how their individual tax dollars are spent. Believe me, my family pays a lot of taxes each year. I don't mind paying taxes, I DO mind how my tax dollars are spent.

You don't need to lower my tax rate, you don't need to cut my taxes, just let me choose how my tax dollars are spent. I want to give my tax dollars to citizen children who are poor, starving. I also want to give my tax dollars to the veterans. I also want to keep medicare for senior citizens because they worked their whole life and they should be taken care of. I also want to build great schools and hospitals, especially for veterans.

Different people have different priorities. That is all, nothing personal.

Old 08-22-2015, 01:37 PM

Quote:

If I break into your house and steal your television, would you be upset? Would you be upset if I stole your car? How about if I broke into your home and beat the tar out of you? Would you want me put in jail? Of coarse you would. Why? Because all of those things are against the law. Immigration law is no different. There is nothing wrong with immigration, but illegal immigration is illegal. As such it is no different from any other law that is to be enforced.

Old 08-22-2015, 02:00 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,482,709 times
The whole thing would be easily solved with a wall and tight enforcement of our borders and immigration. Currently both parties are pandering to the lowest denominator by giving stuff away!

THAT's why they're all afraid of Trump..he's rocking their little boat. The problem is that if he starts to look like he'll win the presidency his helicopter or airplane will malfunction and end him because the system would have trouble showing he lost an election...People would be skeptical.

The real runners on both sides have already been picked...they are just waiting top see which are the better sell for their shell game...Trump, Cruze, Carson and a few others are NOT on the short list. They are allowed to campaigning to add an illusion of realism to the process. TRUMP is seriously screwing that up...and they don't like it!

Old 08-22-2015, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
If I break into your house and steal your television, would you be upset? Would you be upset if I stole your car? How about if I broke into your home and beat the tar out of you? Would you want me put in jail? Of coarse you would. Why? Because all of those things are against the law. Immigration law is no different. There is nothing wrong with immigration, but illegal immigration is illegal. As such it is no different from any other law that is to be enforced.
So illegal immigration is the same as grand larceny or physical assault? Really?

There are different levels of illegal activity, from misdemeanor jaywalking to murder in the first.

You'd put illegal immigration at or above direct physical violence?

Old 08-22-2015, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Well, I think citizens should be able to choose how their individual tax dollars are spent. Believe me, my family pays a lot of taxes each year. I don't mind paying taxes, I DO mind how my tax dollars are spent.

You don't need to lower my tax rate, you don't need to cut my taxes, just let me choose how my tax dollars are spent. I want to give my tax dollars to citizen children who are poor, starving. I also want to give my tax dollars to the veterans. I also want to keep medicare for senior citizens because they worked their whole life and they should be taken care of. I also want to build great schools and hospitals, especially for veterans.

Different people have different priorities. That is all, nothing personal.
Yes, every one wants their tax dollars spent on only those things from which they directly benefit from or on those things that they whole-heartedly support. But that's not how it works. And I think that you know that.

You (indirectly) say that you don't want to spend money on children who aren't citizens. Now why is that?

Old 08-22-2015, 02:44 PM

Quote:
So illegal immigration is the same as grand larceny or physical assault? Really?

There are different levels of illegal activity, from misdemeanor jaywalking to murder in the first.

You'd put illegal immigration at or above direct physical violence?
'
I put it as a law, no different than any other. It is enforced for a number of reasons. If we do not have laws, we have anarchy. Would you subscribe to anarchy? Jaywalking is a law for a reason too. It should be enforced. All LAWS need to be enforced. INCLUDING ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies