Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2015, 04:31 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,403,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
She did eventually hold a green card. She married my grandfather, who was a United States citizen, but never became a citizen herself. As a matter of fact, she was quite proud of her nationality, and saw no reason to apply for U.S. citizenship.

Again, see my post above - I wouldn't be here if my great-grandfather hadn't broken the law. Try twisting your mind around that concept. It's why I can't buy into the "illegal immigration is evil" stance.
So public policy should strictly be decided on the basis of YOUR interests, not the national interest.

Pretty unprincipled and selfish of you, I would say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2015, 04:32 AM

Quote:
We can't we afford illegals and anchor babies?

People illegally immigrate into this country seeking work, freedom, whatever. It's being going on since the 1920's. Why now is it such enormous issue?
Ask Kate Steinle's family.

Old 08-23-2015, 04:34 AM

Quote:
So illegal immigration is the same as grand larceny or physical assault? Really?

There are different levels of illegal activity, from misdemeanor jaywalking to murder in the first.

You'd put illegal immigration at or above direct physical violence?
Illegal is illegal.

No is no.

Old 08-23-2015, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Yes, every one wants their tax dollars spent on only those things from which they directly benefit from or on those things that they whole-heartedly support. But that's not how it works. And I think that you know that.

You (indirectly) say that you don't want to spend money on children who aren't citizens. Now why is that?
I'll answer for him/her.

We have enough poor citizens here already.

We don't need the rest of the world's poor to stick their hands into out pockets, or take our jobs, or commit crimes (e.g., Kate Steinle.)

Has it ever occurred to you to look at things in a way that is not strictly selfish?

Last edited by dechatelet; 08-23-2015 at 05:24 AM..

Old 08-23-2015, 04:39 AM

Quote:
So we don't have the funds to supposedly support illegal immigrants, but we do have the funds to build a wall a thousand miles long, with 4,000 sniper towers manned 24 hours a day.

What happens when the illegal immigrants start coming into the country via the sea ports or airports instead of over the southern border, like the illegal Asian immigrants already do?

Help me out here - is it because Asian illegal immigrants aren't as 'undesirable' as Latin American illegal immigrants?
The ports of entry would also be policed. There would be a visa entry-exit tracking system, E-Verify, sanctions for employers who failed to use E-Verify, etc.

ALL illegal aliens are undesirable.

Old 08-23-2015, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
When it comes down to it, that is the point they are trying to make- not specifically Asians, but all others... I'll bet you won't find the anti-immigrants wanting to put a border between the U.S. and Canada, or take any measures to keep any other folks out- only 'the neighbors to the south.'
That's because few Canadians are sneaking in here.

They have a very nice country of their own that they are happy to live in.

Any more race-card playing?

Old 08-23-2015, 04:42 AM

922 posts, read 801,074 times
People will only have anchor babies when they think their child will have a future in the USA. It is all about giving their children the best opportunities. I don't think having the parent in the country really matters.

Old 08-23-2015, 04:47 AM

Quote:
So they pay a fine or get deported for being an illegal immigrant, because illegal immigration is only a misdemeanor. No one does hard time for being an illegal immigrant. And deportations don't stop illegal immigration, it just makes the border coyotes richer.

Or we institute a national identity card system and heavily fine the people who employ illegal immigrants. No one would be able to claim ignorance with the establishment of a national ID system. You'd be happy to register your children with the federal government, right?

Enforcing the immigration laws in this country is akin to enforcing the narcotics laws or the gun laws - it's never going to be effective as long as a large population choose to ignore the laws. Prohibition doesn't always work.
You just don't want illegal immigration to end. You sympathize with illegals, and are fine with open borders and hundreds of millions of poor people coming in here regardless of how many jobs we have, regardless of the effect on the environment and our resources. Because of this, you say it's impossible to stop illegal immigration. In fact, if we took very harsh measures against just a handful of illegals, the word would go out and they would no longer want to take the risk.

Illegal immigration the first time is a civil infraction. But if you come back a second time, it is a felony, and you can go to prison. Some people do.

E-Verify would work without a national ID requirement.

But go ahead and throw away the photo ID you have now, and then try to open a bank account, get on an airplane, etc.

The "arguments" you people come up with....

Old 08-23-2015, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
Maybe that idea should've come up when the U.S. was stealing 'Texas' from Mexico.
We didn't steal Texas from Mexico.

Texas became its own republic and then chose to join the U.S.

Last edited by dechatelet; 08-23-2015 at 05:51 AM..

Old 08-23-2015, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
You know why, these people are bigots who don't like Hispanic people. That's why they only want a wall along the Mexican border ... not one mention of the Canadian border, the Caribbean border (Florida, the USVI, and Puerto Rico), or seaport/airport enforcement.

Donald Trump has riled up an anti-Hispanic lynch mob ... and the Hispanics will repay the favor by sending us to meet the Whigs on November 8th 2016. Brilliant move Trump, you killed the party
If you actually bothered to read Trump's plan, it calls for securing more than the border with Mexico --

The usual race-card players here, I see...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies