Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 06:41 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
I don't think there is a service that for 49 cents will take an envelope with 13 oz from CA to Vermont.
You're right except for the post office there isn't. That's because it's heavily subsidized and as such it really costs more than .49 cents , but the true cost is hidden by the subsidy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2015, 08:06 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
You're right except for the post office there isn't. That's because it's heavily subsidized and as such it really costs more than .49 cents , but the true cost is hidden by the subsidy.
Heavily subsidized by who? And you can't send a 13 ounce letter anywhere for 49 cents, it would cost $3.62 which would include tracking.

The USPS does get some taxpayer support. Around $96 million is budgeted annually by Congress for the "Postal Service Fund." These funds are used to compensate USPS for postage-free mailing for all legally blind persons and for mail-in election ballots sent from US citizens living overseas. A portion of the funds also pays USPS for providing address information to state and local child support enforcement agencies. Under federal law, only the Postal Service can handle or charge postage for handling letters. Despite this virtual monopoly worth some $45 billion a year, the law merely requires the Postal Service to remain "revenue-neutral," neither making a profit or suffering a loss

Old 11-21-2015, 01:04 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,990,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
What purpose does the post office serve anymore? Other than to suck tax money?

I had a package sent from Prescott, Az, to Kingman Az. Two towns on the same road a three hour drive apart. The package was sent Monday. Today is Friday. The package has gone from Prescott to Phoenix (150 miles in the wrong direction) then from Phoenix to Las Vegas (150 miles north of Kingman) now finally, after five days and 1,000 miles the package is supposed to arrive today.

And they wonder why the PO is broke. Duh.

Then there is the ignorant anti gun law that keeps legal gun owners from carrying their licensed concealed firearm into often isolated and closed post offices putting them at risk.

I say we should just abolish the PO. Use email or FedEx.

The United States Postal Service is a Constitutional mandate as are the roads used for the postal routes (This is the closest Constitutional mandate for all the roads we drive on. ) You would have to amend the US Constitution to abolish it. Also what would Jeff Bezos do since he sends billions of packages through it? Its the cheapest deal around for Amazon,

Old 11-21-2015, 01:42 PM

12,387 posts, read 8,152,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Heavily subsidized by who?
Subsidized by the revenue from the local market ad which the publisher/mailer delivers to the delivery,the last mile, station in route carrying order so no further processing besides taking the shipping bands off is needed. That subsidizes all the product which begins randomly at one point and is delivered to another random point at a uniform cost.

Old 11-21-2015, 09:09 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,990,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
Lets abolish the EPA and FDA (so they can't regulate large corporations.)
Lets privatize Social Security (so Wall Street corporations can take our SS money.)
And lets privatize every government agency from prisons, public schools, and the Post Office (to transfer their funding to corporate America.)

I love Priority Mail and I wish you corporate serving republicans would leave it alone.

I just love drinking water from the Potomac with mine run-off and breathing small levels of Mercury from the big WVA , Kentucky and Ohio (Way to go Ohio) coal fired power plants.

The same goes with poorly studied drugs and technology, There,s allways The Mike Sokolov Law firn to bully a doctor's malpractice insurer and get a annuity for compensatory damages.

Also make those spoonful's of e-coli or listeria tainted food big I lost my kidneys and tainted food is one factor that does this.

The same goes for my retirement funds when the hedge funders send the economy into a death spiral
(Short Seller's Wet Dream).

Who needs the NOAA-USWS no need for Tornado Warnings in Oklahoma. Its a much better cable news show if Moore OK gets hit by an F5 tornado and thousands are smashed to death. All the Wheather Channel does is repackage NOAA-USWS data and try to make exciting.

Let's grow up and face the fact that its 2015 soon to be 2016 and there are 330 million of us . We need a government big enough for the challenge.

Old 11-21-2015, 10:13 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,309,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
What purpose does the post office serve anymore? Other than to suck tax money?

I had a package sent from Prescott, Az, to Kingman Az. Two towns on the same road a three hour drive apart. The package was sent Monday. Today is Friday. The package has gone from Prescott to Phoenix (150 miles in the wrong direction) then from Phoenix to Las Vegas (150 miles north of Kingman) now finally, after five days and 1,000 miles the package is supposed to arrive today.

And they wonder why the PO is broke. Duh.

Then there is the ignorant anti gun law that keeps legal gun owners from carrying their licensed concealed firearm into often isolated and closed post offices putting them at risk.

I say we should just abolish the PO. Use email or FedEx.

You must not understand shipping logistics... Please research the USPS and their funding retirement plans for workers before spouting off about something you obviously know nothing about.

Lets see FedEx letter is what $15 ?? I'll send mine for $.50 and have it get there in two days.

Old 11-21-2015, 11:23 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
The reason there is no private service like that is because it's against the law. Only the USPS is allowed to offer "when it gets there" first class mail. If Fedex wanted to deliver a letter they are only allowed to offer expedited service.

Last edited by thecoalman; 11-21-2015 at 11:40 PM..

Old 11-21-2015, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
And you can't send a 13 ounce letter anywhere for 49 cents, it would cost $3.62 which would include tracking.
Correct, these are all going to be expedited services. You are not going to find any options for "when it gets there" mail services through private companies because it's against the law.

Old 11-22-2015, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
Please research the USPS and their funding retirement plans for workers....
When you are in the delivery business the way you make money is by having an area saturated with customers. It's a lot more efficient to make deliveries at every house on the block than one of them. The USPS has 100% saturation, realistically no private carrier should be able to compete against them for any service especially when you consider they do not need to make a profit and only need to cover costs.

The USPS's bread and butter which is first class mail has been in a steep decline since about 2000 and will continue to decline. Their ability to remain solvent is going to be increasingly difficult. Subsequently the revenue to fund their pension system coupled with the loss of employee contributions which are also declining will make it increasingly difficult to keep the pension afloat.

The pension mandates is what NOT kicking the can road looks like.

Old 11-22-2015, 12:08 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Correct, these are all going to be expedited services. You are not going to find any options for "when it gets there" mail services through private companies because it's against the law.
So you really think FedEx and UPS would deliver a letter in 2 days for 49 cents if they were "allowed to"? And I get packages from UPS all the time with delivery promised "when it gets there" it's called UPS home delivery, sometimes it's 4 day sometimes 8 or 9
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies