Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2015, 06:21 PM

13,242 posts, read 4,919,895 times

Advertisements

Don't you worry your pretty little head about me! So far I've avoided drowning, including water-boarding, being sold down the river, ... et cetera, I'm quick, I keep moving!

Float like a butterfly ... sting like a bee ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 07:03 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,352,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The country was very libertarian in nature when it was first started. Libertarians do not believe that there should be no government. Just that it should be as small as necessary to get by.

When our government has grown itself to the point of feeling up old ladies in a wheelchair trying to board a plane, it's too big.
I used to be a constitutionalist libertarian, so I definitely understand that. Then I was introduced to the actual libertarian philosophy and shown logically that supporting the state is completely irrational. You have to hold two contradicting ideas in your head at the same time and pretend that there's no contradiction. Then I just started looking into a few ways that it might be able to work, and the puzzle started coming together.

I might start a thread and challenge anyone to answer a simple line of questioning...the problem is that when I've seen it asked before, people run away or try to change the subject to avoid admitting they're contradicting themselves. I could see how it goes anyway I guess...

Old 08-26-2015, 07:10 PM

3,728 posts, read 4,868,084 times
It is nice to see that the opponents of Libertarianism support a moderately racist authoritarian plutocrat who supports border walls, trade restrictions, flippant use of capital punishment, and militarized police.

It's nice because these are usually the same people who accuse us of wanting the rich to control everything and being racist.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:27 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Don't you worry your pretty little head about me! So far I've avoided drowning, including water-boarding, being sold down the river, ... et cetera, I'm quick, I keep moving!

Float like a butterfly ... sting like a bee ...
The first step in overcoming your problem is admitting you have one. Obviously you are not there yet.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
I used to be a constitutionalist libertarian, so I definitely understand that. Then I was introduced to the actual libertarian philosophy and shown logically that supporting the state is completely irrational. You have to hold two contradicting ideas in your head at the same time and pretend that there's no contradiction. Then I just started looking into a few ways that it might be able to work, and the puzzle started coming together.

I might start a thread and challenge anyone to answer a simple line of questioning...the problem is that when I've seen it asked before, people run away or try to change the subject to avoid admitting they're contradicting themselves. I could see how it goes anyway I guess...
The problem with theories is human nature always gets in the way.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:31 PM

Quote:
The problem with theories is human nature always gets in the way.
You could argue that there's no such thing as human nature, and that people just adapt to their surroundings. Let's just ignore that idea for now...how does human nature get in the way? Would you say it's human nature to have a government? I don't think that's true.

I also just realized a mistake that I let go a couple times in this thread...when someone says "in theory, libertarianism works, but not in reality" they're assuming that libertarianism is a strategy to make things "work". It isn't. It's a logical, rational, and scientific philosophy. Rejecting it is irrational and illogical. I feel like I'll probably have to explain that in more detail, but to save time I'll only go into if people actually care.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
You could argue that there's no such thing as human nature, and that people just adapt to their surroundings.
That could be argued as a theory.....

Quote:
Let's just ignore that idea for now...how does human nature get in the way? Would you say it's human nature to have a government? I don't think that's true.
No, but I think it's human nature for some to take advantage of others. The idea is that theoretically this never happens but it's going to. There has to be some rules to either control-stop-punish this.

Quote:
I also just realized a mistake that I let go a couple times in this thread...when someone says "in theory, libertarianism works, but not in reality" they're assuming that libertarianism is a strategy to make things "work". It isn't. It's a logical, rational, and scientific philosophy. Rejecting it is irrational and illogical. I feel like I'll probably have to explain that in more detail, but to save time I'll only go into if people actually care.
That's not what I said. Libertarianism can work. We do not need the TSA. Getting rid of it is a libertarian position. I read a little blurb the other day. It was a throw away line but true all the same. It went "three members of the military on leave caught more terrorists than the entire TSA".

Perfect theoritical libertarian isn't going to work. In theory Communism works. We know that in real life it does not.

Old 08-26-2015, 10:38 PM

39,209 posts, read 27,575,665 times
In an "ideal" libertarian society racism would simply die naturally. This is the problem that most liberals have with libertarianism because allowing bad stuff to disappear naturally takes a very very long time.
However, history has told us that every single time we make something "illegal", it just manifests itself in other ways. example: war on drugs.

I've looked at the Libertarian party Platform and talked to a lot of true Libertarians here in California. I know that a true Libertarian just simply cannot be a racist. I know many of you won't agree with me, but I truly believe a True Libertarian (key word: true) will not be a racist.

Racism is often reactions to social and economic problems that are either promoted or created by the state. If everyone was fed, equal opportunities and weren't having their rights as individuals violated. There would be little to no reason for racism to exist. This is not to say that human beings are not naturally prejudice against people they don't understand or are not familiar with, but racism will not exist in a PERFECT and natural Libertarian society.

Equality, just like respect, is earned, not demanded. I fully understand the fact that there will always be people who dislike me for whatever the reasons, (you can be the most compassionate person in the world, one wrong word that you used will earn you a hateful person of the year title because different people have different value system that is completely driven by self interest) This being said, it is STILL not government's job to tell other people to like me or to treat me "equally" or give me a job, or do business with me.

Remember in one of the Rand Paul's interviews, he said clearly, "I am a left alone kind of guy, I will fight for your right to be left alone." This is really the basic principle of libertarian.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:04 PM

Quote:
That could be argued as a theory.....

No, but I think it's human nature for some to take advantage of others. The idea is that theoretically this never happens but it's going to. There has to be some rules to either control-stop-punish this.

That's not what I said. Libertarianism can work. We do not need the TSA. Getting rid of it is a libertarian position. I read a little blurb the other day. It was a throw away line but true all the same. It went "three members of the military on leave caught more terrorists than the entire TSA".

Perfect theoritical libertarian isn't going to work. In theory Communism works. We know that in real life it does not.
I never said there would be no rules. Also, whenever I point out the immorality of government, people change the subject to "well how would this work, or how would that work?" The burden of proof isn't on me. If I'm sitting at home and you want to attack me or steal from me, it's not on me to prove why I shouldn't be attacked or stolen from. It's up to the person violating my human rights to prove that it's ok to do that.

Old 08-27-2015, 12:15 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,526,555 times
Libertarianism died the very instant right-wingers decided big government should set limits on whom one could marry and have sex with, and who was in control of reproductive choices.
The platform of the Libertarian Party still addresses these issues under "Personal Liberty" but it appears that no one who currently identifies as Libertarian actually cares about personal liberty.
Ironic. And sad.

Quote:
1.4 Personal Relationships Sexual orientation, preference, gender, or gender identity should have no impact on the government's treatment of individuals, such as in current marriage, child custody, adoption, immigration or military service laws. Government does not have the authority to define, license or restrict personal relationships. Consenting adults should be free to choose their own sexual practices and personal relationships.

1.5 Abortion
Recognizing that abortion is a sensitive issue and that people can hold good-faith views on all sides, we believe that government should be kept out of the matter, leaving the question to each person for their conscientious consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies