Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2015, 01:22 PM

13,290 posts, read 7,841,936 times

Advertisements

"In 1828, Fillmore was elected to the New York State Assembly on the Anti-Masonic ticket, serving three one-year terms, from 1829 to 1831. In his final term he chaired a special legislative committee to enact a new bankruptcy law that eliminated debtors' prison."

"He was a follower and associate of Thurlow Weed, who had been a leading Anti-Mason."

"As Comptroller, he revised New York's banking system, making it a model for the future National Banking System."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millard_Fillmore#Politics

"The Anti-Masonic Party (also known as the Anti-Masonic Movement) was the first "third party" in the United States. It strongly opposed Freemasonry as a single-issue party, and later aspired to become a major party by expanding its platform and positions on other issues."

"The Anti-Masonic Party was formed in upstate New York in February of 1828. Anti-Masons were opponents of Freemasonry, believing that it was a corrupt and elitist secret society which was ruling much of the country in defiance of republican principles."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Masonic_Party
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 01:25 PM

37,331 posts, read 61,154,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Free, as in liberty.

But not free to discuss Masonry.

Free Masons seems like a misnomer in today's world.
On an WWW forum, in a thread about Freemasonry, a group of Masons are discussing Masonry with non-Masons, and you think that someone here is "not free to discuss Masonry" ?

Who here is not free to discuss Masonry ?

Old 08-25-2015, 01:29 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,466,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
On an WWW forum, in a thread about Freemasonry, a group of Masons are discussing Masonry with non-Masons, and you think that someone here is "not free to discuss Masonry" ?
As I understand it, the Masons like to keep a lot of secrets.

Quote:
Who here is not free to discuss Masonry ?

Ok, tell me all about the Masons then.

Old 08-25-2015, 01:30 PM

16,629 posts, read 15,580,631 times
Quote:
Free, as in liberty.

Every Mason is free to discuss Masonry. (We're here now discussing Masonry, aren't we?) Some aspects will not be divulged, such as signs and tokens by which Masons recognize each other. However, there is nothing particularly unusual about that. The same things would be said about the Knights of Columbus, the Pythians, the Odd Fellows, the Loyal Order of Eagles, etc.

Old 08-25-2015, 01:31 PM

Quote:
As I understand it, the Masons like to keep a lot of secrets.

Ok, tell me all about the Masons then.

What would you like to know?

Old 08-25-2015, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
What would you like to know?

The secret handshake.

Old 08-25-2015, 01:38 PM

37,331 posts, read 61,154,439 times
I have a neighbor who told me that he hates Masons. As it turns out his father knew some Masons. His father wanted to be a Mason. He 'knew' you had to be asked. The "2 B 1 ask 1" slogan, in his mind, meant that you could only join if a Mason asked you. So he [the father] stewed about it. As the years went by, his friends all seemed to enjoy being active in Masonry. But none of his friends ever recruited him. So as he got older, he got more and more angry about it. He expressed his anger to his son. Clearly his 'friends' must actually dislike him. They must all think they are better than he was, why else would they exclude him from their activity. My neighbor learned from his father to hate Masons. His father died long ago, My neighbor still carries on that hatred; "Masons are exclusive, and to become a Mason you have to be invited".

I have discussed this topic with my neighbor. Clearly I am messed up, and without any real idea of how the world truly works. He knows much better than I.

Old 08-25-2015, 01:40 PM

Quote:
The secret handshake.

It exists. Just like the Knights of Pythias, we can't tell you that. (Of course, you already knew that the words, grips, and tokens would not be revealed.)

Old 08-25-2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
It exists. Just like the Knights of Pythias, we can't tell you that. (Of course, you already knew that the words, grips, and tokens would not be revealed.)

Sound secretive.

Old 08-25-2015, 02:09 PM

10,604 posts, read 11,637,396 times
Quote:
Free, as in liberty.

is there a particular part of Freemasonry you wish to discuss?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies